OEM Brake Discs & Pads

Laird Lugton

So I've started replacing the discs and pads on our cars myself as it's quite enjoyable and it saves me money.

I fitted Pagid discs and pads to both cars but have noticed on some motoring forums that some people swear by OEM pads and discs.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some evidence to support this or is it just down to user preference? Personally I can't see any difference between the eurocarparts Pagid discs/pads and the old OEM ones.

The last OEM VW Golf pads I bought from the main dealer were made in India.

I fixed an ongoing issue with the crank sensor using one from Car Parts - this highlighted the fact the two I bought from the main dealer were faulty.

Provided the parts are decent quality and made by a recognisable company, I doubt there is much difference, the OEM's will be buying the parts in from one of those sources anyway.

Pagid are actually an OEM manufacturer of brake components for some vehicle manufacturers. The quality of Pagid is very good, but in my opinion not the same as OEM components. Vehicle manufacturers will specify exactly what they want when it comes to brake components, and this frequently exceeds the specifications required.

From my experience of working mostly on Volvo's as well as a few other makes, the original brake pads and discs seem to be better finished than aftermarket pads and discs. However the braking performance seems to be similar. I have noticed slightly more brake fade with Mintex and Pagid, whereas Brembo and original manufacturer brakes seem to perform better for longer when hot.

My advice would be to personally stick with original equipment if you can, as a lot of the time original components can be purchased for the same price if not cheaper than aftermarket components. Just have a browse around internet forums relating to the manufacturer of the car you have and you will find a wealth of knowledge and some great deals. I buy all my original parts from a main dealer cheaper than any of the motorfactors out there. This way you aren't modifying the vehicle from it's original spec, so your insurance company can't point the finger as much if you have an accident.

Unless you track your car or drive like a nutter on the roads pagid discs and pads are very good for your needs.

Used them for a long time on various cars and they have been a excellent road pad/disc combo.

I now have big brembo calipers so have ebc vented discs and a track based ferodo pad. Takes a few attempts to warm them up but once they are warm they are awesome. The mot tester said its the highest reading he had seen on his brake test gadget on the road.!

Unless you track your car or drive like a nutter on the roads pagid discs and pads are very good for your needs.

Used them for a long time on various cars and they have been a excellent road pad/disc combo.

I now have big brembo calipers so have ebc vented discs and a track based ferodo pad. Takes a few attempts to warm them up but once they are warm they are awesome. The mot tester said its the highest reading he had seen on his brake test gadget on the road.!

I fitted some ferodo performance pads to a auto merc I had that suffered brake fade. When cold you thought your brakes weren't working but the hotter they got and harder you used them the better they got. Ate the discs in six thousand miles so went back to normal everyday type.

Figgy

A couple of years ago, my wife had a Nissan Note - big mistake, as I never liked it at all. The drop links started rattling at about 12k. I replaced them with some cheapos from Ebay. The actual joints on the replacements were about three times the size of Nissan equivalent. The replacements were still fine when we sold it - at 32k.

Had 42 years in the motor parts trade but have been out of it for 6 years now.

The performance of brake friction products has by law to be within 5% of the performance of the product used on the production line.

Production line fitted discs and pads do last longer because there are no cracks in the discs. These small cracks act as scrapers across the surface of the pad, this rapidly increases wear.

Pagid and Jurid were notorious in my day as drum and disc killers, very hard pads with a high steel content. Maybe things have improved.

Personally I would advise the fitting of pads from Mintex/Don or Ferodo. They will probably be supplying the OE build product anyway.

Dont go for performance or racing pads, they dont work well when cold and wear very fast when hot, great for circuits, not good for ordinary use.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Won't tell you anything front and rear pads wear differently even when new, normally front pads wear quicker as although bigger do most the work.

Agreed, its all down to the brake design peramiters.

You will find that a lot of manufacturers apply protective anti corrosion finishes to front discs but not back discs for some reason.

All discs should have anti corrosion coatings, this is to stop them rusting when in stores prior to fitment.

Thanks for all the replies. I see Pagid are OEM for some VW and Audis so they must be doing something right. I don't do track days (not much point in a 1.2l Polo!!).

The Pagids were fitted to the front so I am tempted to replace the rear with OEM disks and pads and see if one corrodes faster than the other.

No point, performance should be close to the OE pad. Wear rate will depend to brake design on the car and the way its driven.

A

I service my wife's vw tiguan and sons polo myself and used to buy all service items from German & Swedish thinking they were cheaper. When they tried charging £60 for 5l of synthetic oil I went to the local vw dealer and they wanted £42! I now buy all parts from the main dealer who gives me a good discount as well. He knows I'm not going to take my car there for service so he is happy to discount parts to get my custom. That way as well I have a history file showing invoices for genuine parts.