Application delays essex

Denboy

Yes, but my point is that BASC should be taking on this problem based on the high number of complaints about Essex's performance. Suggesting that one or two people should try pester power is one thing, telling dozens of people sounds like BASC are ignoring a major problem.

All basc done was give me advise on what to say and what to ask the police crime comissioner, which resulted in the police having a meeting and employing more staff, I'll copy and paste the email

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but my point is that BASC should be taking on this problem based on the high number of complaints about Essex's performance. Suggesting that one or two people should try pester power is one thing, telling dozens of people sounds like BASC are ignoring a major problem.[/quote

Dear Mr *****

Following your further email below we have contacted Assistant Chief Constable Mason, who is the lead Officer for Firearms licensing.

We were advised that Essex Police have utilised flexible working practices and an overtime budget to try and reduce the processing time, but it is recognised that there has been a significant increase in the administrative requirements. Therefore, further to discussion of the firearms licensing process at the Chief Officers Meeting Group held this week, it was agreed that 5 additional staff should be recruited to the Firearms licensing department.

We were assured that Essex Police are making every effort to process applications as quickly as possible, and that to date, all renewal applications have been completed before the expiry date of the existing licence. Furthermore, those applications where a firearm or shotgun is directly relevant to the person's occupation (e.g. vermin control at Southend Airport) are prioritised.

There is no further information that we can provide in relation to this matter. Should you remain dissatisfied with the service you receive please dial Essex Police switchboard on 101 and ask for the Quality of Service Team. They are open between 9 and 5 every day except Sunday.

Yours sincerely

Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner

What did they say about your rabbiting as a reason for fast tracking your application?

I asked the firearm supervisor if I could be fast tracked but she didn't answer my question, I emailed her again and she ignored me(very rude)

so then I emailed mr mason and he put me in contact with chief inspector glen Pavelin and he did say I'd be considered along side people that need a license for there job then he continued to say that I made an agreement to only contact the department once a week, so I explained she never answered my question and that I'm paying for a service and if I have a question I expect it to be answered.

Dear All,

Just a point if I may about complaining; Of course BASC will talk to constabularies, and indeed visit them. However, if there are no complaints then it does not help our position. If there are no complaints then the police simply don't see a problem, and are quick to point that out to us!

So please help us to help you, if we ask you to complain then please do, the police have to take complaints seriously. Keep complaints polite and factual; simply say what the problem is, and what you want to be done about it.

The more complains there are about poor practice, or licencing delays for example the much stronger position BASC are in when we take it up with senior officers or the Commissioner, and the more chance there is of a successful outcome for all.

David

Dear All,Just a point if I may about complaining; Of course BASC will talk to constabularies, and indeed visit them. However, if there are no complaints then it does not help our position. If there are no complaints then the police simply don't see a problem, and are quick to point that out to us!So please help us to help you, if we ask you to complain then please do, the police have to take complaints seriously. Keep complaints polite and factual; simply say what the problem is, and what you want to be done about it.The more complains there are about poor practice, or licencing delays for example the much stronger position BASC are in when we take it up with senior officers or the Commissioner, and the more chance there is of a successful outcome for all.David

Hi David

I was in contact with basc and I done excactly what they advised me to do I.e talk to the commissioner and other stuff but it was told by BASC not to go down the complaining road.

Yes indeed saw it and it was a good result.

That's the point, if more people did what you did and were not afraid to get in touch with the police / commissioner to express what the problems are this will help enormously :)

I think they hate me in the licensing department lol

But I'm paying for a service and a good service I expect.

If I didn't have my SGC I would have probably sat back and waited

• 4 weeks later...

I recently moved to Essex from Herts, took me just under 3 weeks to move my SGC over, applying for a FAC in the new year hope that things have improved for new applications by then

Hi Billett,

I wanted to manage your expectations in regards to Essex and FAC applications........I applied back in June.....had my interview this month.......potential issuing of licence.....................end of Feb!

Meaning a short wait of just 8 months!!!!!!!

Oh and 2015 is scheduled to be one of their busiest years!

Good luck!

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

I put my FAC application in at the beginning of December, they sent me a letter back saying that they're really busy prioritising renewals and that I shouldn't expect anything quicker then 26 weeks... :sad1:

Not sure that I can be bothered now!

Don't give up this is their plan, to make it so hard and take so long to apply for a shotgun or firearm license that you give up. Remember while you are still waiting you could always use a club gun or visit a clayground and rent a shotgun for the day. You can carry on shooting while you are waiting for your license and then when your license comes it will be like the cherry on top.

Edited by Steppenwolf

That's part of the problem - I've already got a cabinet full of shotguns so can go 'shooting' when I need to. I would really like to have a rifle now I've got the bug and suppose that given I've got this far I'll go through with it - especially now that've cashed the cheque!

It does frustrate me that I am paying for as service that I don't feel as though I'm getting.