Ammo safe compromised?

Scully

Lost my keys to the above last weekend ( have a spare set which I have hidden somewhere REALLY safe! :blush: ) so after turning the house upside down and no joy decided yesterday enough was enough and I was going to have to bite the bullet and get it opened. Phoned up a local locksmith who took one look at it and said 'that's a handgun cabinet, not your ordinary ammo cabinet'.

'You're correct' says I; 'how do you know?'

'I shoot practical pistol and used to have one just like it.' And then with the practised ease of a car mechanic he sucked in a huge lungful of air before shaking his head and telling me it wasn't going to be easy.

Turns out he moved up here from Surrey where he used to shoot pistol at Bisley but now travels to somewhere in Croatia where he still does.

Anyhow, after the best part of two hours, and despite having all the gear we were still looking at an undeniably locked cabinet. :sad1:

'Can you drill through the back?' asks I. 'If we can get it off the wall?'

'Yep', says he.

So off to work I go for reciprocator and 110 gear, and two hours and three blades later ( am not going to tell boss :ninja: ) we got it off the wall.

Maybe another hour later lock is unbolted from inside via keyhole surgery and hey presto door is opened. :yahoo: I now look forward to finding my spare set of keys!

My question now is, bearing in mind how long it took a professional to get in it, and despite having a 10p sized hole in the back (which will be covered once re-affixed to wall ) has the integrity of this cabinet now been compromised? I don't consider it has, but there again I'm biased as it is me who will have to fork out for a new one, and will be contacting the NGO for their opinion but would welcome the opinions of those on PW. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Edited by Scully

Don,t know about the cabinet integrity, as it is on the back fastened to the wall a plate welded over the hole should suffice or a washer with a smooth bolt head on the outside and then a lock nut on the inside to seal the hole. You might want to consider changing the locks or lock barrels if you can,t find the lost set.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Don,t know about the cabinet integrity, as it is on the back fastened to the wall a plate welded over the hole should suffice. You might want to consider changing the locks or lock barrels if you can,t find the lost set.

He took safe with him as he is going to order and fit new locks and keys to go with it and get it all done hopefully while I'm on holiday. I'm assuming he's going to weld a patch over the hole so didn't ask, but you're right, I should ring and ask to make sure.

Cant you just weld a plate over the hole?

:shaun:

Sorry, you replied while I was typing.

They would only see the hole if they got the safe off the wall.

Would they not then just take the whole safe ??

Yes, again, you're right. Think I let myself get too concerned about the fact it had actually been broken into, and although I did say I personally didn't think it had been compromised, thinking about it now I would have given the same advice I have been given if it had been someone else. Nevermind, it's not the first time I've made a divvy of myself; I'm sure it wont be the last.

Yes, again, you're right. Think I let myself get too concerned about the fact it had actually been broken into, and although I did say I personally didn't think it had been compromised, thinking about it now I would have given the same advice I have been given if it had been someone else. Nevermind, it's not the first time I've made a divvy of myself; I'm sure it wont be the last.

Don't worry about it.

We put stuff on hear. sort of thinking out loud.

I'm sure if you had sat and thought about it you would have come up with the same answers.