Over-sized decoys

kitchrat

Anybody been using these extra large decoys, as seen on ; http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/index.php , from A1 Decoys at £6 each?? If so, were they any good, any better than normal size???

On my prairie trip they used some super-big canada decoys, mixed with normal sized. (full hunt report on the wildfowling section of PW, if anyone is interested)

Well I was thinking of using the giant decoy as a hide.Put some wheels on it and you could tow it into position.I`m sure it would work,what do you think.

Oh yes, I'm sure it would work too. :good:

Please post lots of photos when you take it out in the field for the first time! :yes::lol:

I don't think Chris Green has made a decoy sized caravan yet, but I could be wrong! :whistling:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Oh yes, I'm sure it would work too. :good:

Please post lots of photos when you take it out in the field for the first time! :yes::lol:

I don't think Chris Green has made a decoy sized caravan yet, but I could be wrong! :whistling:

That`s what decoying is all about,thinking outside the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody been using these extra large decoys, as seen on ; http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/index.php , from A1 Decoys at £6 each?? If so, were they any good, any better than normal size???

On my prairie trip they used some super-big canada decoys, mixed with normal sized. (full hunt report on the wildfowling section of PW, if anyone is interested)

To be serious for a second or two, has anyone actually USED these things??????

I have used these on two afternoons on forage maize stubble,freshly cut.Conditions were good,bright with a fair wind,though the decoys did not " move " (rock ) as much as I would have liked although as you would expect they stood out well over the stubble.There were not many pigeons about,mainly high on passage but I noticed that they did check,notice the decoys and come around but did not commit.

There was no question of these jumbos being a magic answer,those few birds which did come around could well have responded equally to normal decoys.I will modify the sticks but frankly don't expect much improvement.If it's one of those days,the pigeon will commit,whatever the decoy.

I have used these on two afternoons on forage maize stubble,freshly cut.Conditions were good,bright with a fair wind,though the decoys did not " move " (rock ) as much as I would have liked although as you would expect they stood out well over the stubble.There were not many pigeons about,mainly high on passage but I noticed that they did check,notice the decoys and come around but did not commit.

There was no question of these jumbos being a magic answer,those few birds which did come around could well have responded equally to normal decoys.I will modify the sticks but frankly don't expect much improvement.If it's one of those days,the pigeon will commit,whatever the decoy.

Thanks for the sensible reply! Sure, they are never going to be a magic answer but it does sound as though you may have got the birds to have a look when they had something/someplace else on their mind. Might be worth a try....

Forage maize stubble doesn't sound that much like pigeons favourite choice as I doubt there's much to eat there. However, it's not a common crop round my way so I am only guessing. This winter my birds were not even interested in chopped up maize game covers but who knows??

Thanks for the sensible reply! Sure, they are never going to be a magic answer but it does sound as though you may have got the birds to have a look when they had something/someplace else on their mind. Might be worth a try....

Forage maize stubble doesn't sound that much like pigeons favourite choice as I doubt there's much to eat there. However, it's not a common crop round my way so I am only guessing. This winter my birds were not even interested in chopped up maize game covers but who knows??

its been said a few times, normal sized decoys will pull them just as good as these big decoys but I have an open mind and up for trying something new so I might well buy a few and see what the results are

its been said a few times, normal sized decoys will pull them just as good as these big decoys but I have an open mind and up for trying something new so I might well buy a few and see what the results are

I quite agree about being willing to try anything new, but how big would you go?

The A1 decoys' web site seems to show them as about 50% bigger than real life. Working on the principal that I need all the help I can get, I've ordered 6.

I'll let you know what they are like and if I feel they help, in due course.

I think I will re-paint the neck ring a little bigger as the picture shows some dark colour there I don't see on a real bird.