What a Week

pigeon controller

Monday I received a phone call from the Doctors enquiring if I was still living as they had not seen me for some time . Could I pop in Tuesday and see the Doctor, so I presented this perfect body to be checked over . After a few prods and pokes in sessative areas he said i was living and could I go down to the nurse and have my flu jab as I was a Senior Citizen. Not only my Flu jab in one arm in the other I had my Pneumonia and booster for Tetanus, Diphtheria and polio.The following day I felt wonderfull ( NOT) It reminded me of a weekend in the 1980s when i was shipped out to Aqaba over a weekend with six injections during the Iran /Iraq conflict.

Friday the fevers had gone but my arms were like lead. we set to look at our last stubbles and all had been processed so we went to the cut maize we shot last week and it was covered with Doves and Crows and a few pigeon. We phoned the farmer, answer phone , we will not go on this farm with out permission. We decide to drive to his business and see if he was available as he is a keen game shot and will not answer his phone if he is out shooting. As we drove into the yard he was in the doorway just about to leave in his shooting gear ( Lucky or what) he said carry on . So we drove back to the field and watched it to see the best position to shoot and set up , it was 12.00. The first birds back did not want to decoy so we set up the magnet , so we had ten on spikes and two on the magnet, the next bird came straight in . The next ten minutes was dove after dove and no pigeons, then my lucky crow came in range , he was shot and put out to the side of the pattern to give confidence to the pigeon . We had a few more crows come to the pattern as we built it up and also pigeon but we were pestered by doves. This made it difficult shooting as you had to keep checking your target to see if it was a pigeon. I'd received a text in the week requesting a 100 pigeons on friday night if possible well we knew we were close and at 16.15 we decide to give it a further 15 minutes.As we collected up we started to lay out the birds it was getting close to the target and we ended up with One Hundred and twelve birds. The game dealer collected at 06.50 this morning and left me twelve birds to use as decoys today.

Saturday , we set out looking for maize fields and after about an hour and a half of driving we had seen nothing. So we decide to back track and look at fields we had passed earlier as we may have failed to see the flightline , DB had had a curry the night before with extra garlic, my eyes were streeming in the car but he had to get a sandwich as he was starving, as I waited in the small village while he stunk the shop out I noticed a few birds flying high over the woods at the end of the road. When he returned we drove off to investigate, two miles on we came upon a set aside field of self sown barley which had a few birds down but lots joining. We phoned the farmer and he said " Go and sort the ******* Out"so we did . We set up with the strong wind off our backs and put he brolly up to muffle the sound as we were in a noise sensitive area. We put out the twelve birds from the day before on spikes and started shooting it was 13.30 and we shot till 16.30 so in three hours we had one hundred and seventy pigeons . I did not see a lucky crow to shoot at , if I had we may have shot more ???????

432ba89c-e061-4804-9b7d-c8f0a15a78c2_zps

d638bde3-ffdd-4615-a9ed-f6c71c87a4af_zps

JDog keeps sending then north ?????????

I think we all must be sending them up your way!??

It is both interesting and odd how they seem to move in and out of, and stay in certain areas/parts of the country regardless of cropping, though that obviously makes a big difference.

Either way you certainly make the best of it, I never expect to read of a sub 100 bird day when I see one of your new posts!!

I think we all must be sending them up your way!??

It is both interesting and odd how they seem to move in and out of, and stay in certain areas/parts of the country regardless of cropping, though that obviously makes a big difference.

Either way you certainly make the best of it, I never expect to read of a sub 100 bird day when I see one of your new posts!!

Without boring the Massive we have a good head woods in the " Forest of Arden" and as they are Wood Pigeons. I used to travel all over GB and whether I was in Scotland or Wales I would always see birds fighting so it's a matter of looking for your birds.

This is getting very boring indeed.

In the week I mentioned that several consecutive days of heavy rain will have kept pigeons in the trees. It may have done but the trees are not in the Cotswolds which is now devoid of birds. I have not seen a larger group than 20 pigeons in the past eight days. It seems that it is beech mast or elsewhere for the flocks.

What I marvel about is your unshakeable faith that driving along with a smelly dog and an even more smelly shooting companion will eventually bear fruit in the form of a flight line. Most of the rest of us 'also rans' find a field with a few birds on it, watch the line in then set up. You have a different approach altogether which I am going to have to try at some stage in the future. I may even do it today without a gun but with Lady JDog and Jasper acting as spotters. They may not see many pigeons but they will at least smell nice.

I was thinking about PC quite a lot yesterday ( not in any romantic/ sexual want you must understand!)

I too was out yesterday and on Friday afternoon had gone for a look around to see what I could find. Bingo I thought, plenty of pigeons feeding on a maize field that had been cut last Saturday so hopefully they will return tomorrow.

I arrived at the field around 11 and could see pigeons were on it. What do I do? I decided not to set up but to watch.......

I figured that I would probably be best employing the rotary but had no fresh birds at all ( last weeks half a dozen birds had been donated to a gamekeeper of a friend living further south, must remember to keep at least two next time!)

So, I decided to try to get a couple to go on the rotary. Tucked into the hedge, the first pigeon came over after a couple of minutes and was dropped. One down, one to go.

But that other one never came!

The birds on the field promptly left after the shot was fired never to return. I felt sure the birds would return later in the afternoon to feed on the maize but they didn't and what is more there was no real flighting over the maize either. This is when I was thinking about PC. I don't think he lives/ shoots a million miles from me and I was thinking to myself as I just sat watching the field " I wonder how many he has got today, I wonder what he is shooting over?

Well, now I know......

So I spent a day yesterday basically watching an empty field until about 3.00pm when I decided to call it a day. My one pigeon looks pretty sorry for itself on my garage floor but with no work tomorrow, who knows, he could have a mate by tomorrow night!

This is getting very boring indeed.

In the week I mentioned that several consecutive days of heavy rain will have kept pigeons in the trees. It may have done but the trees are not in the Cotswolds which is now devoid of birds. I have not seen a larger group than 20 pigeons in the past eight days. It seems that it is beech mast or elsewhere for the flocks.

What I marvel about is your unshakeable faith that driving along with a smelly dog and an even more smelly shooting companion will eventually bear fruit in the form of a flight line. Most of the rest of us 'also rans' find a field with a few birds on it, watch the line in then set up. You have a different approach altogether which I am going to have to try at some stage in the future. I may even do it today without a gun but with Lady JDog and Jasper acting as spotters. They may not see many pigeons but they will at least smell nice.

Have a good day

I was thinking about PC quite a lot yesterday ( not in any romantic/ sexual want you must understand!)

I too was out yesterday and on Friday afternoon had gone for a look around to see what I could find. Bingo I thought, plenty of pigeons feeding on a maize field that had been cut last Saturday so hopefully they will return tomorrow.

I arrived at the field around 11 and could see pigeons were on it. What do I do? I decided not to set up but to watch.......

I figured that I would probably be best employing the rotary but had no fresh birds at all ( last weeks half a dozen birds had been donated to a gamekeeper of a friend living further south, must remember to keep at least two next time!)

So, I decided to try to get a couple to go on the rotary. Tucked into the hedge, the first pigeon came over after a couple of minutes and was dropped. One down, one to go.

But that other one never came!

The birds on the field promptly left after the shot was fired never to return. I felt sure the birds would return later in the afternoon to feed on the maize but they didn't and what is more there was no real flighting over the maize either. This is when I was thinking about PC. I don't think he lives/ shoots a million miles from me and I was thinking to myself as I just sat watching the field " I wonder how many he has got today, I wonder what he is shooting over?

Well, now I know......

So I spent a day yesterday basically watching an empty field until about 3.00pm when I decided to call it a day. My one pigeon looks pretty sorry for itself on my garage floor but with no work tomorrow, who knows, he could have a mate by tomorrow night!

When you were watching the maize did you have birds joining ??? If not the resident flock will lift and depart , they may if you are lucky return or they , themselves will pick up on another flightline of pigeons and go with them to anther location.

The birds are starting to come together here, but not on my patch at the moment........what they are doing is dropping onto the havested sugarbeet fields....but they only do that after a couple of days of being lifted....my beet on the patch is usually the last to be lifted...so im just waiting and watching

did have a nice afternoon gently walking around my patch with 2 of my labs...and for my troubles dropped 2 plump patridge and a cock pheasant.....

i still look forward to a busy session on the pigeons when i can find some plastic sheet for the 2d decoys on the magnet i have made, everything else is done ......and the farmer has put a batterey on charge.....