Odious Oddie again

Blackpowder

Out feeding this morning some of my fellow syndicate members were discussing a recent(how recent I dont know) TV programme where the odious Bill Oddie was proclaiming the benefits of of re-introducing wolves to Scotland. It seems he regards sheep farming and deer management as well as keeping domestic pets as un-natural. Any forum members see this programme?

Blackpowder

I think it's a great idea. I'm sure I am writing saying that Scotland has the highest rate of heart disease in the UK. So if they have to run a bit more to escape the Wolfs it can only be good for them. Yes, you may lose one or two of the slower ones but in the long term how good would the Scottish sprinting team be. Not sure how this would work in the city though.

Might as well chuck some Brown Bears out as well while there at it, well I mean lets do the job properly. And that's just a start . Surely once they get the science bods on full throttle we'll soon have a few Mammoths wondering over the hill's, just think of the increase in tourism.

Might as well chuck some Brown Bears out as well while there at it, well I mean lets do the job properly. And that's just a start . Surely once they get the science bods on full throttle we'll soon have a few Mammoths wondering over the hill's, just think of the increase in tourism.

I watched the programme and there was indeed talk of bears being reintroduced. :yes:

Nothing about mammoths though.

Will make night hiking interesting. Howl. Howl.

on one of our fields at work there is Anglian wolf society with 4 adult wolves that while i am out lamping can sometimes start howling when i flick my light on,

even though you know they are safely locked behind tall fences it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up VERY SPOOKY

colin

I have a concern with reintroduction as we are told recently that certain freshwater mussels are in the UK and will caused problems. We have crabs in the fens , zander, American crayfish and mink in the midlands, otters being reintroduced. Grey squirrels all over. Wild Boar in Somerset . And now Wolves in Scotland.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you reintroduce a species back in we do not understand how it interacts with others i,e, wolves chasing sheep, crayfish eating fish spawn , mink eating sitting game birds and otters and mink eating game fish at commercial fisheries.

You cannot tell an animal not to eat an easily meal and once they are loose that's it

There is a bit of me that would like to see a reintroduction of wolves.

I know that there are huge challenges associated with such a venture, but the romantic in me thinks it would be nice.

Unfortunately thats about as scientific as the argument for reintroduction is. NE / wild life trusts et al think it would be nice. Reintroductions are mostly based on nothing more than a few citizen scientists deciding what theyd like to see roaming about. Its utter pants.

They would have to release loads otherwise theyd all be banging their own blood and then what happens? What will predate on the wolves?

Unfortunately thats about as scientific as the argument for reintroduction is. NE / wild life trusts et al think it would be nice. Reintroductions are mostly based on nothing more than a few citizen scientists deciding what theyd like to see roaming about. Its utter pants.

They would have to release loads otherwise theyd all be banging their own blood and then what happens? What will predate on the wolves?

What rifle you got.

ack-ack,

simples The Brown Bear will eat the wolves, and then the Mammoths will tread on the Bears . Or its a PW special force's job.

Or reintroduce the McApache tribe?

They could have a ceilidh every Friday night...a sort of Dance with Wolves :oops: