Am worried I tell ya!

Underdog

I asked one that very question , it didn't answer, perhaps because it was dead , so we will never know if it gives them the squits or not.

Bit sharp tonight, tired are we :whistling:

I was informed a long time ago that too much green brassica is no good for a pigeon and when in cold weather they are forced to eat it as it is all they can peck at they suffer if the weather is frozen for a long time. Remember farmers telling me who saw the bad winters in the sixties.

U.

I was informed a long time ago that too much green brassica is no good for a pigeon and when in cold weather they are forced to eat it as it is all they can peck at they suffer if the weather is frozen for a long time. Remember farmers telling me who saw the bad winters in the sixties.

U.

Rape surely can't do pigeons any harm, after all they usually eat it for weeks on end during winter when little else is around.

We did see some on Hawthorn on Saturday and went through the scenario of a hard winter and the rape. We have so much rape around us we think that they will survive due to the fact they will drop down on any field that is not protected at that precise moment.

I remember the bad winter of 1962 , I think , when I would find dead pigeons under the trees around our local allotments which had cabbage and sprouts. Some even died frozen on the branches.

Mother Nature has a strange way of addressing the balance and with the glut of acorns last year and possibly three broods this year we may have a hard winter to balance it all out.

U.

Not at all UD, I think you may have taken my razor sharp humour the wrong way.

So seriousley , if it gives them the squits or not pigeon love rape , they feed on it for months and I have shot big bags on it as late as May / June when there is a number of other food sources available to them , it is not as beneficial to them protien wise and that is why they eat such vast quantities and feed from early to late digesting the crop between .

So I guess they may produce more dropping given that they are eating a much bigger volume of food.

Not at all UD, I think you may have taken my razor sharp humour the wrong way.

So seriousley , if it gives them the squits or not pigeon love rape , they feed on it for months and I have shot big bags on it as late as May / June when there is a number of other food sources available to them , it is not as beneficial to them protien wise and that is why they eat such vast quantities and feed from early to late digesting the crop between .

So I guess they may produce more dropping given that they are eating a much bigger volume of food.

Cool.

I now they scoff a lot but I wonder how much of it is part of a balanced diet in good weather as opposed to a long period of frozen weather with nowt else. Don't matter really.

U.

We have all experienced the sight of pigeons flying over a perfectly good food source to get to one which appears to give them less food value. Why for instance would pigeons fly over a barley stubble with lots of grains still available and wild pansies to get to beech mast at this time of year or in the spring fly over fresh drillings to get to ivy berries?

We have all experienced the sight of pigeons flying over a perfectly good food source to get to one which appears to give them less food value. Why for instance would pigeons fly over a barley stubble with lots of grains still available and wild pansies to get to beech mast at this time of year or in the spring fly over fresh drillings to get to ivy berries?

Sprays and seed dressing ! Poison in other words!

U.