Advice on importing a SG from EU countries and older SGs

Bennyhill

Hello everyone,

Had a quick search but couldn't find anything on this topic so hopefully I'm not asking a question that's been asked/answered before!

I should be receiving my shotgun certificate soon and will therefore be looking at getting a shotgun. Having previously shot in Cyprus and having a shotgun and holding a SG license over there I was wondering if anyone knows the process, how much hassle, how much it costs, etc. to import a shotgun from another EU country?? I believe you have to apply for a "firearms passport" but I have no idea how difficult this is to do and the costs associated with this? Also do all airlines allow you to transport firearms and do they charge you a fortune to do this? I will be going to Cyprus at Xmas and flying BA which is probably one of the better airlines to do this with??

Failing this I will be buying a gun in the UK. I was looking at Bettinsolis and Lanbers - I know there are mixed opinions on these guns? Also what are peoples opinions on purchasing older, more obsolete shotgun brands and models? Do older guns such as AYA and guns no longer produced incur costs and problems when carrying out repairs?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Ben.

Hi Ben you can get an EFP (european firearms passport) from your local police (cyprus)iirc you can fly to Cyprus pick up your gun and fly back with it you just go down the red channel at customs and they will enter it into your uk certificate for you. As long as it meets uk section 2 regs ie not if its a 5 shot semi or barrels under 24" for OU SxS etc

Check airline terms of carriage but most will some for a fee it's like taking skis or surfboards you will need an airline approved hard case and get a good one as baggage handlers are notorious for dropping them, standing on them leaving them on the Tarmac while they go find out what to with the big black case with firearms all over it.

As long as your allowed to have it when you get on the plane in Cyprus and its added to your uk liscence on arrival job done.

EFP are issued free in the uk but you will I think need a Cypriot one.

Any other reason your keen to buy outside the uk?

Edited by HDAV

Read the HO Manual on Firearms 2014... 👈👈👈

Link on this Site. Then chat with your FL Ofiice .. No Charges, just get the right paperwork...

Imports from other EU nations

28.7 Transfers of firearms, shotguns, component parts and ammunition falling to section 1 and section 2 of the 1968 Act entering the UK from other EU States either on a commercial or private basis are lawful only if all the following requirements are met:

(i) a licence authorising the transfer of the firearms to the UK has been issued to the transferor by the EU state from which the firearms are transferred; and

(ii) the licence (or a document referring to it) accompanies the firearms at all times until they reach their destination in the UK and can be produced on demand to a constable or an officer of Border Force; and

(iii) the UK transferee of the firearms is authorised under the 1968 Act to possess the firearms in question, that is a registered firearms dealer, or firearm or shotgun certificate holder (unless exempt from the need to hold a certificate).

BIS import licensing must be contacted prior to attempting to transfer, if a licence (28.7i) has not been issued by the EU state from which the items being transferred.

.......The 'Licence to transfer' is a common EU form. Don't think it can go on the Europass until it's on your SGC and file? But it looks like the EU transfer form acts as the authority?

But contact your FL Licensing Office for their procedure first.

Failing this I will be buying a gun in the UK. I was looking at Bettinsolis and Lanbers - I know there are mixed opinions on these guns? Also what are peoples opinions on purchasing older, more obsolete shotgun brands and models? Do older guns such as AYA and guns no longer produced incur costs and problems when carrying out repairs?

Ben, you will get far more value for your money if you buy a good secondhand gun.

Any other reason your keen to buy outside the uk?

Hi HDAV,

I'm not really that keen on buying abroad. Its just that I bought a B.Rizzini from new about 3 years ago and, while I do use it when I go on holiday, it seems a shame it sitting doing nothing in the meantime.

Saying that there are quite a few reasonably priced guns about in the UK. I was just a bit reluctant to buy an older 2nd hand SG not knowing how easy/cheap it is to maintain/repair if anything goes wrong. If I was to get something in the UK I believe best bet would be to get something that is still relatively recent, i.e. a Lanber or Bettinsoli?

Thanks

Ben

Get the process started now by phone/email mine and most people's knowledge is based on being a uk cert holder and taking a gun out to Europe to shoot and bringing it back again the tricky bit about buying abroad is not being legally able to take possession in the country of purchase. As long as Cypriot authorities are happy for you to check it in onto the flight they probably don't care about uk customs. UK customs only care that you have the authority to posses in the uk (SGC) a simpler but more expensive solution is get a dealer in Cyprus to ship it to a dealer in uk or even depending on Cypriot law ship it to yourself. Only question if you ship to yourself is how it gets entered onto your uk cert ??? (Golden rule is you never write on your own cert)

Once on your uk cert you can get EFP to take it on holiday in future.

Edited by HDAV

Thanks HDAV,

I looked at the dealer/courier option before and the quotes I got were extortionate! From what I remember it would probably be cheaper buying another gun! Ill try and find some information from Cyprus although I do like the idea of buying another gun :P

Can you not bring it on the plane as hold luggage?

Ring your firearms with the details as you already own the gun. Have them add it to your sgc before they issue it. Once it is on your sgc, then you can come into and out of the uk with no problems. Then if you have lawful authority to possess in Cyprus you're fine on both ends. I did the same, only with the US.

Rick

Sounds like a good idea. Will also try to get hold of firearms in Cyprus to find out their process for getting a firearms passport... By the looks of things Im only going to have a few days that aren't bank hols or weekends and things tend to move slow over there!!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Ben

If it's the Greek side you can move shotguns about on a EFP, I take it the B Rizzini is on a Cypriot ticket get a EFP from the Cypriots and bring the gun back to the UK BA are ok for this then get it added to your UK SGC. I used to take my guns to Cyprus and back regularly when posted out there, it's not hard or much paperwork.

Although I doubt that would ever happen it is a good point! From what's been said I believe its not as hard as I first thought to get the necessary paperwork/passport. It will just be a case of going to the firearms dep in Cyprus and getting it done properly! I'll speak to the firearms officer in the UK soon as well and see what they recommend.

Thanks

Ben

But what about the fact that the gun in auestion is no longer in its country of origin/ registration?

Surely some form of Export Licence or removal from the local register is reauired otherwise what if the Authorities come a knocking in Cyprus asking where said gun is?

Just write to them and tell them probably that's all you would do here.