Stock refinish

Bogwoppit

I think I'm going to try boiled linseed oil as I can get hold of it over here. Is it just a case of applying a lot of coats? Should I thin down the first coat with white spirit?

I've stripped the stock already, do I need to seal the grain?

I'm thinking of staining the fore end to get a better match, what's the best way of getting the colours close?

Thanks guys.

You need to use grain sealer before oiling mix the BLO with real turps I add beeswax and red oil as well to my own blend.

I was thinking 25/75 weak mix for 1st coat, 50/50 for 2nd, 75/25 for 3rd and then full strength for each coat after.

Can you recommend a sealer or are they all the same?

What do the beeswax and red oil do?

I also have a mark to fill so I have to find some filler, not easy to find one the right shade but I'll either go with teak or mahogany.

Bw

Edited by Bogwoppit

I have used then all. There is no substitute to hard work and BLO.

Napier kit does not penetrate the wood well but is a softer finish than Tru oil which is god awful but is quick if you have lots to do. Trade secret is always well recommended i personally hate the stuff but there you are, i won't pretend that i read the instructions.

The red oil give an enhancement to the grain and adds to the classic colouring of the stock.

Bees wax I find makes it more workable and durable.

But hard work and elbow grease is the only way.

As for filler you had loads of perfectly colour stuff when you sanded the stock sawdust and superglue makes an excellent filler when done right for even large knots etc.

I have made a large batch of stock finish, if you are anywhere close to The midlands you can pick some up. It's all natural and traditional stuff.

The results ( if you do the elbow work) are superb.

Thanks for the offer, very kind, unfortunately I'm in Ireland.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I have enough to keep going and get this done.

This is why I love the forums :)

Bw

I have used then all. There is no substitute to hard work and BLO.

Napier kit does not penetrate the wood well but is a softer finish than Tru oil which is god awful but is quick if you have lots to do. Trade secret is always well recommended i personally hate the stuff but there you are, i won't pretend that i read the instructions.

BLO...they way to go...........it takes weeks of feeding a stock......wiping on rubbing off........but it is worth it...........

First coat on, I'll let it dry the ill rub it down with some steel wool.

I'm planning on leaving 24hrs between coats

Hi Bogwoppit

Do you know to rub the oil in with your hand and keep rubbing 'til your hand becomes hot?, If not it may not dry out :no:

Here's a couple of Daystate stocks that I refinished for a chap after he tried painting on truoil! :oops:

DO6vDkY.jpg

I used Welsh Willies' kit which has everything needed including shellac based grain sealer, Alkanet root oil, water based walnut dye, rubbing cloths, wire wool and other bits!!

Good luck with the resto :good:

John :)

Hi Bogwoppit

Do you know to rub the oil in with your hand and keep rubbing 'til your hand becomes hot?, If not it may not dry out :no:

Here's a couple of Daystate stocks that I refinished for a chap after he tried painting on truoil! :oops:

DO6vDkY.jpg

I used Welsh Willies' kit which has everything needed including shellac based grain sealer, Alkanet root oil, water based walnut dye, rubbing cloths, wire wool and other bits!!

Good luck with the resto :good:

John :)

They look great!

I don't think mine will turn out that good as the stock had been badly looked after before I got it and had been over oiled resulting in discoloration

The real motivator for doing this one is to make it easier to sell in order to finance an upgrade to and Aya no.2

Just one note of caution or point to note, when i did my Dad's No.4 the stock expanded every so slightly somewhere between being stripped and finished which meant the hand pin was almost impossible to line up when putting the action back in the stock - it was about 1mm out so the thread wouldn't take. In the end, i took it to a very friendly gunsmith to sort out who fixed it as a favour!

AB