A long awaited day!

Penelope

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The alarm screamed at 2am, with a 'What the ......!' moment, quickly quashed by the 'I'm chasing pinks today!' realisation and a big excited smile. A swift run round the bathroom, dressed and then downstairs to make a flask of tea and a coffee for the journey.

All of the gear was readied the night before and loaded in the car in double quick time for the trip to the flatlands of Lincolnshire.

The predicted wind didn't appear to be that strong when I left home, but became more noticeable as I wound my way north and a point or two east. I arrived at the arranged meeting point an hour early, a little after 4am (keen, hey?) after an uneventful journey, at which point it started to rain and the wind increased.

A swallow of tea from the flask and time for a little snooze, before my friend G. who had driven up the night before and stayed at a local travel hotel and our guides for the morning, Muncher and Motty from this illustrious site arrived.

The others turned up at the appointed time and we drove, single file to the parking spot where introductions were made and an assortment of fowling clobber donned.

The wind was increasing all the while as we made our way down the bank, passing a site that I have read so much about in fowling tomes, Peter Scott's East Lighthouse, short snippets from 'Morning Flight' and 'Kenzie' coming to mind as we did so. A brief council of war was held on the wall before finally I was able to plant a wader on the hallowed saltings that stretched way off into the dark eastern sky. The tramp out was easy, although I did find a little rill that caused a 'man down' moment, which brought a little chuckle from Motty. Halfway out to our flighting point we heard a single pink on the wing, which brought a little more haste to our feet.

Positions were found at the end of the green where the marsh meets the mud. I ensconced myself in a rather compact and bijou little gutter amongst the spartina, complete with cold running mud. A scrap of net was hung between three hazel rods to give a bit more height to my hidy hole, gun loaded and the flask cracked open again.

There wasn't too long to wait before a pair of pinks came off inside of our positions, but low, nice and low against the wind which bode well for any that came over us. These were soon followed by another pair and a single on the same line. Then four which were a lot closer but higher, that had Motty twitching, in a 'shall I, shan't I' kind off way.

The flight proper then started, with every skein and bunch flying parallel to the green over the mud before turning inland and offering some other fowlers further to our north some good chances which they took. It was looking as though the four of us were going to spectators for the morning, but another skein came off the mud, further to the right and dead in line, these looked like they were on if a little tall, on and on they came and at a good but shootable height, on and over us. Four guns popped out of the marsh and three geese fell, alas, my two shots hitting thin air. One came down, winged which was well retrieved by Motty's yellow Lab out n the mud. Was that it, was that my chance!

No, another skein on the same line, only lower, but still as high as I would want to take them on. Fours gun up again, I picked a goose, swung through and pushed on a little more. The first shot hit hard and the second killed it, hitting a hard bit of mud with a very satisfying thump. My first foreshore pink in nearly 30 years wildfowling, a long awaited desire fulfilled. I think I even did a little victory dance. I was glad that the goose had came down on some hard stuff as it was clean and pristine, not covered in ooze, a adult female I suspect, as it had a particularly dainty look about it.

Things quietened off for a time, although there still odd lots going in over the mud. The rain had held off in the strengthening wind, but a heavy shower came which shut down visibility and caused the four of us to hunker down, although fortunately it didn't last long, the wind pushing the squall through quickly.

It did look now as though the flight was over, that was until another two skeins came in along over the mud, and then turned left and straight on to us, the first only just in front of the second, shootable but higher, the second a nice bit lower. The first skein was left to go over in anticipation for the second lot; Muncher who was in front of Motty, G. and I, having tucked himself up when the skein came in, after working his dog to retrieve an early goose, hadn't realised that we had all moved back to our spots (following a later debrief) took a shot just as the lower skein were coming on nicely, meaning that they weren't best positioned for the rest of us, but he was unseen as were we.

This was the end of the flight now, but with six pinks in the bag a very successful one, and one that I shall remember for the rest of my life. On the way bag to the cars, I pulled a pinion feather from my pink and wedged it into a crack in the bench sited in memory of Frank Harrison, in way of a thanks.

Motty had to go off to work, so G., Muncher and I went off to look for a café for breakfast, stop at Frankies in Sutton Bridge where we had a nice big feed.

The morning's view.

105wi92.jpg

My wallow.

sevegx.jpg

Goose & gun.

flikk6.jpg

Once breakfast was over G. and I said ours goodbyes to Muncher and set off over the border to Norfolk where we were to go to a clubs committee members house to pick up guest permits for the Ouse Washes for the evening flight that Muncher had kindly arranged for us with his brother. After a chat and collecting the permits, we wound our way over to Welney and had a pint in the Lamb and Flag and visited the WWT reserve to kill some time before returning to the pub to meet Muncher's brother. Our three cars sent off in convey for the very short trip along the wash road to a track that led to the flood bank between the New Bedford or Hundred Foot river and the Ouse Washes. A couple of miles along the bank and we had arrived at the wash we would be shooting for the evening, having first driving through a heard a cattle that that escaped for their wash. Cattle go at their own pace.

The wind had got stronger as the day had progressed, and standing up straight in the gusts was difficult. The wash here is a half wash, the boundary approx. half way across, hence the name. Whilst getting ready, lots of duck were in the air, most likely put up by some other fowlers we had passed on the way down. A few greylags were also on the wing, with all the fowl flying over the wash we were to shoot, Things looked very promising for the evening.

G. took up position on the mid way boundary, whilst I had Muncher's brother settled about 70 yards further in. There were odd pairs and groups of duck on the wing coming from both front and back, although mostly still on the tall side. hese duck made a mockery of my shooting for the rest of the evening, me, never touching a feather, evening though I had a few shots. Muncher's brother had a mallard from a pair that crept up from behind and G. had a nice mallard that he neatly clipped from a pair, followed later by a great shot at a gadwall which fell way out on the wind. The highlight of the flight though was a large bunch of greys that had got up from a wash to our north which were disturbed by another gun when he walked out which went further up and settled, only to jump about half a hour later and head our way. The ragged bunch of 60 odd greys came on straight for me as they crossed onto our wash and continued on the same line, battling the wind 30 yards up and getting lower as they came. Tucked up in a scrubby willow I waited until they were on me before throwing the gun into my shoulder, picking a goose, which crumbled and swinging on to another which did the same to my second shot. They then swung up and to my left giving G. and Muncher's brother a chance. One dropping and another planning out to G.'s shots.

A few more shots were had at teal and mallard, but no more in the bag apart from a teal to Muncher's brother. The walk back to the cars was a happy one, and whilst G. and I were getting changed and loading the cars, Muncher's brother set of with his team of four excellent Labs to look for the planed out goose, returning with it about 20 minutes later.

One more grey to add.

2822qmh.jpg

I would like to thank Muncher, his brother and Motty for their time, knowledge and above all for being great guys and true gentlemen, and for a truly fabulous day.

Edited by Penelope

A great read and a very accurate report, Paul.

It was a great morning, and certainly my best flight of the season. It all just came together so well, it was great that we all got geese. Shame Jules had to go and get greedy.......

I also enjoyed watching the others next door knocking a few geese down, even though it looked at that stage that we might draw a blank.

Well done with the evening flight, too, it must have rounded the day off very nicely.