Warm hunting clothing for Hungry trip

Colc08

So in the first week of Febuary I'm off to Finland with the Mrs where temperatures will be as low as -20. Nice! I'm then home for 2 days before heading out to Hungary with some friends on for a weeks Boar hunting, where It will also be bloody cold.

I need to get kitted out with some warm gear for each of my trips but ideally don't want to have to buy two lots of stuiff. Can anyone advise on any clothing that would be suitable for both trips.

So in Finland we'll be husky sledging, snow mobil-ing, cross country skiing etc and in Hungary will be mostly shooting from towers as far as I am aware.

I really don't know where to start looking to be honest. I mean i can get skii gear from anywhere but was hoping I could get some hunting gear that could cater for both jobs.

The last thing the Mrs said to me on the subject was '' Your not tripping around Finland in bloody realtweed!'' :)

Rab down jacket / waistcoat, light and very warm, any colour over thermal base layer and a fleece or wool layer. Just wear your shooting jacket over the top? Ski trousers/salopettes with hunting tousers over top?

Ive been to Finland, was - 20 but its a dry cold not like here : ) Dont skimp on hat/gloves, heat paks to go in gloves make a huge difference. Fleece snood/neck warmer available in greens/camo. I wouldnt buy insulated hunting gear as it wont get used much here, but then again Im tight like that, it all depends on your budget. Better off going for a layer system that you can 'tune' to the temp. Dont forget to report back ; )

For base layer, you will not go wrong with 'Icebreaker' merino wool. Fantastic, but not cheap. You'll find them in places like Ellis Brigham.

The really good thing with those is that you can wear the same one for several days, and they don't reek like man-made fabrics after a couple of days, even if you've been pretty active.

The warmest clothing I have ever had is by the mountain clothing firm Buffalo, pile fibre and pertex a very close woven windproof cloth. I dont know if they make any specific stalking and shooting gear but the garments retain some warmth when wet.

Blackpowder

Edited by Blackpowder

• 4 weeks later...

The warmest clothing I have ever had is by the mountain clothing firm Buffalo, pile fibre and pertex a very close woven windproof cloth. I dont know if they make any specific stalking and shooting gear but the garments retain some warmth when wet.

Blackpowder

I 2nd this, I have a Buffalo Special Six jacket and it's the warmest and most practical piece of kit I own. I've been camping in -11 with this and still have been warm as toast. I've got it soaked and it's still warm, out performs my Rab and Berghaus gear all day long at a fraction off the price (£90ish).

Have a great trip

Iain

I 2nd this, I have a Buffalo Special Six jacket and it's the warmest and most practical piece of kit I own. I've been camping in -11 with this and still have been warm as toast. I've got it soaked and it's still warm, out performs my Rab and Berghaus gear all day long at a fraction off the price (£90ish).

Have a great trip

Iain

Thanks guys, is it this one? http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/special-6-shirt/#colourswitch