Police stats inflate the number of guns actually stolen in Blighty

aris

I believe that this sort of thing is quite common with the military and also with coppers, it appears we are all fallible and have therefore all been included in the figures as misrepresented by ACPO! :shifty:

whenever we go on overnighters or camps in the CCF our RSM is permanently walking round to see if he can nick anyone's gun without them noticing, demonstrating that they clearly weren't abiding the arm's-length rule. happens an awful lot that kids leave their semi auto 5.56 rifle against a tree and wonder off!

whenever we go on overnighters or camps in the CCF our RSM is permanently walking round to see if he can nick anyone's gun without them noticing, demonstrating that they clearly weren't abiding the arm's-length rule. happens an awful lot that kids leave their semi auto 5.56 rifle against a tree and wonder off!

Many years ago when I was stationed in Berlin during the ‘Cold War’ era, I was called upon to do my first guard duty. We were issued with the 9mm Sterling sub-machine gun, and a fully loaded magazine was held in a locked draw in the guardroom, the weapons themselves that we carried were unloaded.

I complained to the guard commander about what I considered the lunacy of parading around with an empty weapon at a time when drive-by shootings of military personnel on guard duty was becoming an acknowledged hazard, (Days of the ‘Red Brigade’).

“I’ll tell you about lunacy”, he said. Then proceeded to explain that prior to recent times soldiers on guard duty were issued with fully loaded 9mm Hi-Power Browning pistols, he then pointed out to me the half dozen or so bullet holes peppered around the inside of the guard room. He then said, "It was decided that those on guard duty, if their weapons were loaded, stood more chance of either, shooting themselves, their comrades or an innocent bystander than being shot by an armed terrorist"! And looking around that guardroom I believed him!! :/

Many years ago when I was stationed in Berlin during the ‘Cold War’ era, I was called upon to do my first guard duty. We were issued with the 9mm Sterling sub-machine gun, and a fully loaded magazine was held in a locked draw in the guardroom, the weapons themselves that we carried were unloaded.

I complained to the guard commander about what I considered the lunacy of parading around with an empty weapon at a time when drive-by shootings of military personnel on guard duty was becoming an acknowledged hazard, (Days of the ‘Red Brigade’).

“I’ll tell you about lunacy”, he said. Then proceeded to explain that prior to recent times soldiers on guard duty were issued with fully loaded 9mm Hi-Power Browning pistols, he then pointed out to me the half dozen or so bullet holes peppered around the inside of the guard room. He then said, "It was decided that those on guard duty, if their weapons were loaded, stood more chance of either, shooting themselves, their comrades or an innocent bystander than being shot by an armed terrorist"! And looking around that guardroom I believed him!! :/

Had the doubtful honour of being the last airman to be relieved from guard duty at Khormaksar in Aden before the army lads, who'd previously been on mobile patrols, took over. Having just got back to the barracks after handing my weapon in and was half way through a chai when a shot rang out. The army lads had quickly found out how boring a static duty could be and that before long one starts to fiddle with whatever is available The SLR round went through a 50,000 gallon flexible fuel tank.

Had the doubtful honour of being the last airman to be relieved from guard duty at Khormaksar in Aden before the army lads, who'd previously been on mobile patrols, took over. Having just got back to the barracks after handing my weapon in and was half way through a chai when a shot rang out. The army lads had quickly found out how boring a static duty could be and that before long one starts to fiddle with whatever is available The SLR round went through a 50,000 gallon flexible fuel tank.

Ah, those were the days, fond memories and a lot of lessons learned, including a few hard ones! But I was a tender young thing then, soon toughened up though!

Regards

I and several others spent many hours searching stanta training ground for a sa80 that some crow had left behind after a bug out. Turned out one of the DS had gone to see what we had left, found the rifle and taken it back, decided a sutable punishment was hours trapsing around in the snow rather than endex and pub! Said soldier was not popular after that..

I was talking to a serving soldier the other day ..... exactly as you say, they shoot themselves or have an accidental discharge more often than you can imagine :/

Hope he is not reading this :sad1:

Back to statistics, do you not remember the campaign waged against us by ACPO and others including the Home office in the late 80's, which had them releasing lost, stolen and used in crimes ,gun statistics every year to let the great British public know what a threat to them we were.

These statistics were shown up for what they were by the editor of the "Guns Review"magazine (whose name escapes me now) in an article entitled, "lies, damn lies and home office statistics", when it was revealed that the police counted toy, replica, ornamental , de-activated and air guns, lost or stolen, the same as REAL guns.

I attended a lecture he gave in Newcastle and was left scarred forever, never trusting those stalwart individuals in said ACPO and Home office again.

The home office suddenly stopped putting out yearly figures after they had banned all they could reasonably (and unreasonably) ban,only to find armed crime and drug/gang related shootings increasing astronomically. Without the gun crazy pistol and rifle shooters to blame for the murder and crime (cos we no longer had the WMD's we used to call, target pistols) they were fearful that by continuing to bring out these figures, people might start asking questions.

What worries me is, if they are releasing statistics again, they have another agenda. Moslem extremists no doubt. IS will be targetting farm houses to equip themselves for mass slaughter on our streets , so better get rid of those nasty shotguns and we will all be safer....RING ANY BELLS

I'm just bitter.....ooooo!

Back to statistics, do you not remember the campaign waged against us by ACPO and others including the Home office in the late 80's, which had them releasing lost, stolen and used in crimes ,gun statistics every year to let the great British public know what a threat to them we were.

These statistics were shown up for what they were by the editor of the "Guns Review"magazine (whose name escapes me now) in an article entitled, "lies, damn lies and home office statistics", when it was revealed that the police counted toy, replica, ornamental , de-activated and air guns, lost or stolen, the same as REAL guns.

I attended a lecture he gave in Newcastle and was left scarred forever, never trusting those stalwart individuals in said ACPO and Home office again.

The home office suddenly stopped putting out yearly figures after they had banned all they could reasonably (and unreasonably) ban,only to find armed crime and drug/gang related shootings increasing astronomically. Without the gun crazy pistol and rifle shooters to blame for the murder and crime (cos we no longer had the WMD's we used to call, target pistols) they were fearful that by continuing to bring out these figures, people might start asking questions.

What worries me is, if they are releasing statistics again, they have another agenda. Moslem extremists no doubt. IS will be targetting farm houses to equip themselves for mass slaughter on our streets , so better get rid of those nasty shotguns and we will all be safer....RING ANY BELLS

I'm just bitter.....ooooo!

I remember it well, and still have many of the 'Guns Review' magazines from the period you mention.

Colin Greenwood

Great bloke, and one of ACPO and the police in generals greatest opponents, considering he was ex police. How that must have riled. He has written a few good books on the subject.

Jan Stevenson was the editor of Handgunner magazine and criticised the police severely also, so much so that they raided his house/office on a regular basis, but to the best of my knowledge to no avail.

Gun crime is rife there is no stopping it a polish guy in my local town was caught smuggling guns back to poland he was caught and question was he aiming to take them to the uk and admitted thats where the guns came from uk police raided is house in my local town and found sawn of barrels converted baikal pistols and other guns and I can only imagine qhen 3d printers become cheap and really available the real problem will start they may come out with legislation but will it stop someone making them and earning quick money similar story to cannabis its wide spread and mostly home grown in the uk now theres laws but laws only stop honest people same thing as burglary alarms do they stop a burglar no

Colin Greenwood of course!! Great bloke, good speaker and excellent articles but no one in the establishment was bothered by facts or truth (as now) . It is only AGENDA that matters. We think we live in a free and fair society, truth is it is just less bent than a lot of others. My own pet hate is people (read ACPO officers) who gain riches and honours by selling out the people who they should be protecting, nothing new I suppose.

Yep , still bitter

Colin Greenwood of course!! Great bloke, good speaker and excellent articles but no one in the establishment was bothered by facts or truth (as now) . It is only AGENDA that matters. We think we live in a free and fair society, truth is it is just less bent than a lot of others. My own pet hate is people (read ACPO officers) who gain riches and honours by selling out the people who they should be protecting, nothing new I suppose.

Yep , still bitter

Colin Greenwood, an outstanding guy in my experience and a terrific champion of ‘Shooters Rights”, he was a constant thorn in the side of the establishment and a great help to many persecuted shooters, including some of our club members that found themselves at odds with the authorities through no fault of their own, especially during legislation leading up to the 1988/1998 ‘Firearms Acts’.

Another big thank you and a ringing endorsement of his work from me. :good: :good: :good:

Edited by STOTTO

You too eh? :)

Oh yeah - but they haven't gone away you know (to quote that great and good man Jerry Adams, who unlike you or I, can have a FAC for pistols....cos WE cant be trusted with them ???)

Yes the people wanting to take your guns are alive and well and just waiting for the next excuse....coming to a television screen near you, SOON.

I would also like to say thank you to Colin Greenwood for the work he did (did it once in person) and those unsung heroes who stand up for their , and others rights, against HO, ACPO and various rogue constabularies around the country.

Hep! dont get me started ooooo!

Have you noticed that in this country, we have paedophiles that the police have been passed evidence about from other police forces around the world yet not even investigated for years. Asian gangs of taxi drivers known to be grooming and abusing children in Rotherham for decades that the police were too scared to investigate. Hi profile celebrities raping at will (apparently an open secret until they die) and no one does anything. Bomb making maimed islamic preachers promoting killings of our and other people (usually while living on state benefits) that it takes years to do anytthing about. And according to the news last night, illegal immigrants (this is not an immigration rant by the way) who are commiting crimes for years (knocking down and killing bairns for one case) and they can't be deported AND YET, AND YET, give the police the faintest chance and they want to open confidential phone lines for people to ring if you notice john Smith at the clay club is acting a little grouchy, or start making spot inspections on FAC holders. The spot inspection thing is a bit of a problem for them cos most FAC/SGC holders are at work during office hours and beyond....funny that, smacks of responsibility, normality and tax paying, all the things that make us NOT a threat to the queens peace.

Ist it me? , is it me?

oooo!

this was not a rant against illegal immigrants, religious fanatics who preach hate, whether maimed in bomb making or not, paedophiles or rapists, as I obviously respect their right to be treat the same as every one else in this country. Pity they weren't being treat like shooters then the police might do something about them.

double ooo!

:) You raise some valid points Gazoo. Perhaps ACPO have launched their 'new initiative' to deflect criticism of some of those points you raise above, much like Durham all of a sudden revealed itself to be mad keen on closer scrutiny of firearms applicants ( GP's reports) following their monumental 'rooster' up over the Pennines, where you are?

Playing 'artistic license' with stolen/lost firearms statistics has long been a favourite tactic of the police; it's just a shame they are never countered with as much publicity as they are initially revealed.

Well Scully my friend, as it happens I do live in the Durham Pennines, and as for artistic license, I would probably just say lying. Sadly!

I think as far as shooting community is concerned, ACPO are an organisation which seeks to pervert legislation as writ, into legislation as desired by people who want to control everything. But to what end we must ask ourselves??

That's my next variation declined, although I didn't hold out high hopes as "pump action SCUD missile with black flag and Allahu akbar written on the side"is a bit of a mouth full on an FAC application especially as I have applied for it for vermin and infadel control!

I will update you.

Inshallah as we say :ninja:

wonder how many pings are going off in GCHQ over this bit of electronic evesdropping :sad1::no:

Well Scully my friend, as it happens I do live in the Durham Pennines, and as for artistic license, I would probably just say lying. Sadly!

I think as far as shooting community is concerned, ACPO are an organisation which seeks to pervert legislation as writ, into legislation as desired by people who want to control everything. But to what end we must ask ourselves??

That's my next variation declined, although I didn't hold out high hopes as "pump action SCUD missile with black flag and Allahu akbar written on the side"is a bit of a mouth full on an FAC application especially as I have applied for it for vermin and infadel control!

I will update you.

Inshallah as we say :ninja:

wonder how many pings are going off in GCHQ over this bit of electronic evesdropping :sad1::no:

Am baking a cake for you with file embedded as we speak. :)