Recoil pad or Butt Plate

Wildfowler325

Hello,

I am looking for a Recoil pad/Butt Plate for my new shotgun, a Browning GTI Grade 5 32". The pad that came with the gun is a Kickeez and i cant get on with it, i find it far to sticky and i always snags.

I am looking for a non snaging Recoil pad/Buttplate that wont look out of place on a Grade 5 gun,

(Cant be a curved pad or plate as the stock is cut straight.)

Many thanks

Duncan

Why not get the pad leather covered classy and won't snag.

Or put Slickeez on your current pad.

I did look at that, would the gunsmith do this kind of work? I did think on trying that meself but unsure if i trust my self doing it lol.

I agree with you that would be a classy look, the gun will be used for game mostly so dont want to get something that will look out of place.

If it "snags", does that mean it catches when you mount. If so, it could mean that with the pad fitted it makes the LoP too long for you and a simple butt plate would be better.

In deed it could but my guns fit well and the kickeez snags it's a grippy sticky substance so I have a layer insulation tape around the edges and that stops it. I get the feeling the OP won't go for that idea.

it's a grippy sticky substance

Yep. As a fix I once got a piece of thin-ish leather cut just over-size and coated the underside (it's called something but I know not what) with super glue which then when it dried it stiffened up. It was then possible to peel of the 'skin' which had remained soft which was then glued and trimmed to the butt making a nice neat finish which looked the business and did the job.

The first 'Kick-Eeze' pads had a coating on the heel which helped prevent snagging. This finish eventually wore away and I did recover the heel of the pad with 'Hard as Nails' clear nail varnish. Having changed to the Isis pad by Recoil Solutions some 4 years ago, I would never have another make of pad on any of my guns.

Edited by Westley

Cervellati are Rubber Goods manufacturers in Italy, who make the pads for many gun-makers as original equipment. Cervellati pads can be found many Italian makes including Perazzi, and I've even sold some to Purdy!

For a smooth mounting pad consider the Type 68 Diamond Ventilated pad, smooth face. 30mm vulcanised rubber with diamond patterned recoil absorbing ventilation, and very easy to grind to fit. This also is available with a textured surface, and there are also other less thick types.

cervellati-diamond-heel-pad-type-68-smoo

As mentioned by others, they also have their Patent Microcell system, three thickness's and two colours. These take longer to grind and are not available with a fast slip smooth surface, they have a light texture grip.

microcell-patent-absorbtion-heel-pad-275

My kickeez is quite thin, around 15mm. I did look at the browning inflex 2 pad but dont know how people rate them.

Anyone els have a recommendation for a nice looking non snaging recoil pad

My B725 has the Inflex 2 pad, mine is the skinny one and I like it a lot. I daresay a thicker pad would give a bit more squish, but I have no complaints with mine. I have not noticed any snagging during mounting, even in the wet.

I have a Kickeez pad on my CG and it is a sticky menace, especially in the wet. I shall be wrapping it with PVC tape before the next outing.