shooting ringed wood pigeons ?

Guest stevo

As some may or may not be aware for many years wood pigeons along with many other species of birds have been ringed by the BTO and DEFRA .

has anyone ever shot one while out decoying ect . and reported it ? if so what sort of response did you get . And no I haven't shot one , I have just been reading on the BTO website about migration and the ringing of birds , and a bit about reporting it just caught my eye and got me thinking .

sorry if this has been done before .

I have 4 rings from woodies shot in a 7 year spell and all the info about them, from the bto

years ago I used to send the ring off in a letter, now you can do it online , following the instructions on the webpage give the ring number and were it was found/shot, and they send you a letter with all the info about the bird, age, location it was ringed, etc etc

Edited by yickdaz

It has been done before the last time a couple of weeks or so ago.

I have shot two ringed birds , both on the same field but a week apart.

The rings were sent off and I had a reply saying both were from the same nest , the location where they were ringed was perhaps 30 miles away as the crow ( or pigeon ) flys.

The rings were sent off and I had a reply saying both were from the same nest , the location where they were ringed was perhaps 30 miles away as the crow ( or pigeon ) flys.

cheers fenny , just goes to show how much notice I take , but that's the response I was looking for , I wondered if anyone actually got back in touch that's all .

Edited by stevo

i shot a racing pigeon a couple of years ago, it was mixed in with some woodies....the owners phone number was printed on the wing...felt really bad about it and phoned the owner............he was very pleased i rang, and explained that the bird had gone wild a few weeks previous, and was not expected to return, he thanked me again and that was that .......

i shot a racing pigeon a couple of years ago, it was mixed in with some woodies....the owners phone number was printed on the wing...felt really bad about it and phoned the owner............he was very pleased i rang, and explained that the bird had gone wild a few weeks previous, and was not expected to return, he thanked me again and that was that .......

I have often wondered how it would go down with a racing pigeon owner,

I don't suppose anyone has taken a photo of a woodpigeon they have shot with a ring ?

I have never got a pigeon wearing a ring but have had a carrion with one..it fledged 21miles from where I shot it, 6years before I shot it.

Also.. I know a few blokes who own racing pigeons and race them.

Any bird not back within a set amount of time (generous amount) will more than likely get its neck rung as its obviously no good for the game.

Racers that stop off and feed with woodies are worth nothing to the owner of the bird

Edited by AberFowl

I have often wondered how it would go down with a racing pigeon owner,

I don't suppose anyone has taken a photo of a woodpigeon they have shot with a ring ?

I have only ever shot one with a ring on in over 40 odd years pigeon shooting , and no I am sorry I didn't take a photo of it but if you look at the next old one you get my one looked very similar to your one :good:

one of the 4 ringed pigeon I shot was 22 miles from ring site, I shot a ringed crow in 1991 that was only 4 miles from ring site