12g home load benefits?

Hi all. Looking for some advice/help.

I shoot 12g rough and clays and I love the idea of home loading and making my own cartridges.

Is there a lot of benefit in doing this or is it just as good buying factory cartridges.

I haven't brought anything yet as I wanted to doing all my reccie 1st.

All info welcome..

Atb brett

Good hobby if you've plenty of time and like tinkering. Unless you want an odd sized load or have a ready supply of lead and Linotype it's cheaper to buy the carts you want.

Even 28bore are cheaper to buy in the quantities I shoot than rolling my own.

Figgy

I shoot 12g rough and clays and I love the idea of home loading and making my own cartridges.

Is there a lot of benefit in doing this or is it just as good buying factory cartridges.

All info welcome..

Atb brett

If you become proficient at home loading it can have some cost benefits.

If you need something not readily available it solves that problem.

If you shoot a lot you will be very busy in the evenings as it is not a quick game.

Find a recipe that you like and stick to it, don't start to play around with pressures.

Good luck

Guest cookoff013

Good hobby if you've plenty of time and like tinkering. Unless you want an odd sized load or have a ready supply of lead and Linotype it's cheaper to buy the carts you want. +1 cook.

Even 28bore are cheaper to buy in the quantities I shoot than rolling my own. ~ i`d say even stevens with this. a decent shell is a decent shell. cook.

Figgy

If you become proficient at home loading it can have some cost benefits. +1, but not always, some loads i make are really expensive / unavailable.

If you need something not readily available it solves that problem. +1, cook.

If you shoot a lot you will be very busy in the evenings as it is not a quick game. +1, its alot of work, but the satisfaction is justified. cook.

Find a recipe that you like and stick to it, don't start to play around with pressures. +1 to start with. after you are comfortable you can follow data, get more data and load up different shells.! cook.

Good luck

homeloading does waste money, but sometimes pay off when you have decent shells.

you cant compare tesco everyday value shell, to a harrods shell.

When you talk 12 ga, its more about getting a different shell than you can find off the shelf. Perhaps the only exception might be someone using lots of ammo who makes their own shot etc. Remember though in that case there is still a lot of kit to buy / make and time to spend.

If you wanted say a 2 1/2" BB shell, for your vintage gun on a fox drive your going to struggle. Then again there is always the "phone a friend" solution

All info welcome..

Atb brett

where about"s are you ?

Reloading can be fun and it also can be a right pain :lol: clay loads can be made cheaper than most if you get your powder at the right price. Shot can be bought from Doncaster ( Hatfield woodhouse ) @ £1.30 per kg saving around £2+ per kg. its what i use for clays and light game loads. just run it over a magnet it may have the odd shot corn of steel ( Not that i have yet )

I started off with a lee load-all and now have two single stage presses for 3 and 3-1/2" and a progressive for 2-3/4" so i would say that it is addictive :lol: but i would say if you like tinkering give it a go you don"t have to make every cartridge you use :blink:

Pest control..what's the difference between a load all and single stage etc..also where is it best to buy shot, wads and primers from etc..

Also I shoot some steel as the chap I shoot with sells the bird bit they have to be steel shot..is it more or less expensive to home load steel..

Thanks

Pest control..what's the difference between a load all and single stage etc..also where is it best to buy shot, wads and primers from etc..

Also I shoot some steel as the chap I shoot with sells the bird bit they have to be steel shot..is it more or less expensive to home load steel..

Thanks

A single stage press makes one cartridge at a time whereas a progressive press has a carousel with several cases on which rotates to make one cartridge with each pull of the handle. The Lee is a single stage press.

Guest cookoff013

Reloading steel shot is different than lead. The Lee load all 2 will not reload steel shot. You can weigh powder n shot then crimp. The Lee does 2.75" only.

Sorry to break your bubble.

Mec can reload steel.

And I bet mec are a lot more expensive.lol..Thanks for the pm cookoff013..will a mec do lead and steel from the same machine ?

:good: yes a mec will load both from the same press and they do cost a little more than the lee

what steel cartridges have you been using ?

i presume they are for pigeons to go into bird of pray food