When is a variation not a variation?

Les*1066

I've been puzzling over the title for a while now, but I can't come up with an answer.

I have several slots on my FAC, and I know that if I sell, say, a .22lr and replace it immediately with another .22lr, then I need to apply for a variation. [i think!].

I always notify the firearms department immediately whenever I make changes to my firearms holdings, so they know what has been bought and sold.

So what if I sell a .38/.357, for example, and 6 months later decide to buy another one. Is that classed as a variation, or is it just filling a vacant slot? ???

It's almost easier to think of a FAC in two parts : authority to acquire firearms, and authority to hold firearms (I'll ignore ammunition)

When you initially get your FAC, you have (for example) authority to acquire a .357, and authority to hold a .357. When you buy a .357, the authority to acquire finishes. The authority to hold continues.

So if you sell the .357, you do not automatically have an authority to acquire another one. You must inform the police that you have sold it (thus freeing up your authority to hold), and apply for authority to acquire another one.

You cannot get another slot without a variation.

Have a look in your FAC, is states the calibers and quantities as well. You can sell whenever you like, but you cannot buy again without a variation, the so called one 4 one, even if is the same make and caliber. If you buy a new gun and turns to be faulty, in order to get a replacement you need a variation.

I've been puzzling over the title for a while now, but I can't come up with an answer.

I have several slots on my FAC, and I know that if I sell, say, a .22lr and replace it immediately with another .22lr, then I need to apply for a variation. [i think!].

I always notify the firearms department immediately whenever I make changes to my firearms holdings, so they know what has been bought and sold.

So what if I sell a .38/.357, for example, and 6 months later decide to buy another one. Is that classed as a variation, or is it just filling a vacant slot? ???

Effectively if you have 'filled' a slot with a .22, and you sell said .22 you cannot put another on the FAC until you have sent it back, and got the slot 'emptied'.

If you sell a firearm, and don't get the slot 'emptied' within 7 days, you'll have to pay for it to be opened.

To avoid a variation fee, just request a one for one if it's the same cal.

You can swap a .22 air rifle for a 50cal if you can justify it FOC.

This also applies to slots granted, but unfilled.

I have a slot for a 243 can I swop it for 308 for free or is pay time (fee) atb martyn

Yes

It's almost easier to think of a FAC in two parts : authority to acquire firearms, and authority to hold firearms (I'll ignore ammunition)

When you initially get your FAC, you have (for example) authority to acquire a .357, and authority to hold a .357. When you buy a .357, the authority to acquire finishes. The authority to hold continues.

So if you sell the .357, you do not automatically have an authority to acquire another one. You must inform the police that you have sold it (thus freeing up your authority to hold), and apply for authority to acquire another one.

OK, so even though I have sold my .357 a year ago and notified the police about it, I will have to apply for a variation to buy another one. Is that right?

I know I could just phone them up and ask, but I imagine they are busy enough already! :lol:

.................... and don't always listen to what the FEO says, a well experience Firearms officer once told me that I could not use a variation for a Fac air rifle for a 243 as the calibre jump was to big and I would have to pay again, of course this was absolute rubbish, BASC told me to send license in with covering letter and if I was charged again then call them. I wasn't charged of course, a vacant slot is a vacant slot regardless of calibre as long as you have good reason to possess of course.

OK, so even though I have sold my .357 a year ago and notified the police about it, I will have to apply for a variation to buy another one. Is that right?

I know I could just phone them up and ask, but I imagine they are busy enough already! :lol:

It's a 141, but with the time passed you'll have to pay for the variation. It's not a variation per se as you have that calibre allowed, unless your circumstances have changed, but that won't make a jot if your cert has open conditions. Edited by kyska

I have a slot for a 243 can I swop it for 308 for free or is pay time (fee) atb martyn

Yes you can ask to have the 243 changed to whatever for free. I just changed a LBr 45 cal slot for a .223 , no probs but took 21 working days.

Can one get a variation before selling a rifle? I'd like to change my 22S/A for a B/A but don't want to be without one for weeks...

I just did a variation, said I wanted to give up one of my .22 rimfires and have a section 1 shotgun in it's place

didn't pay anything

the wording on the reply letter was

you are allowed thirty days in which to make arrangements to dispose of your .22, from the date that you purchase your replacement firearm.

so yes, you could put your rifle up for sale, and until it's sold, not buy the new one, or like me, I just traded my rifle in when getting the shotty