DOG INSURANCE

NickB65

We are about to get our new dog on Sunday and looking at a lot of the dog insurance policies most working dogs are excluded.

Is your dog insured and are you happy with the cover? Do you find most treatment is lower than the excess?

Bonnie my old Retriever was insured and over the years of paying the policy I only ever claimed twice - once when she was a pup and left with my brother-in-law and towards then end when she had her second stroke.

Recommended to me was the Sporting Gun last month they had working dogs insurance. I went with it for my 20month spaniel, £18/month - £7500 cover/year - £50 excess.

1st time i have found working dog insurance that won't brake the bank.

My 4 dogs i use for picking -up/shooting & i spend 1000's a year at the vets the latest being the 6 year old run into a glass clotch, 13 staples £500 lighter!

fenman99

As Apache says, Pet Plan seems to be used by vets personally and is regarded as one of the "easier" insurance companies for the vet to claim their costs incurred on your behalf. I use direct line for our dogs as it seemed like a good balance of cost vs cover at the time. You need to decide if you want lifelong cover for a condition to be included or not, as this seems to have the biggest influence on policy cost.

Best and most comprehensive we found was John Lewis I think.

They do not cover working dog/s if used for monetary gain, as I do. Now we have to pay TAX that loophole is now closed!

As long as the dog is owned by you, is a family pet and only takes part in shoots alongside you, JL can provide insurance.

fenman

I have a separate building society account for the vet bills. It covers vaccinations, dentals and any thing else that crops up. It goes in by standing order every month just like a vet insurance policy. There is no excess, no exclusions.

I started doing this years ago when the insurer I had doubled the excess on my GSD after she developed a long term skin problem. The first time I claimed anything in 6 years.

That was 12 years ago and the only time the account hasn,t fully covered treatment there was mastercard for a £200 shortfall once.

Well, insurance is a gamble anyway, I have a terrier that I have covered with insurance for 5 years without a claim so I would have saved a grand,now my mates cocker is having an op on his disc costing 4.5 grand.

I am looking for insurance for my ESS pup at the moment so will watch this thread with interest, nobody has mentioned kennel club insurance yet I have heared they have competitive lifetime cover

I am tempted to put £30 per month into an account just for when he needs treatment - it is only when you read the small print that you fully understand what is NOT covered. PetPlan seems to be good - I had a look at the Kennel Club and the first two months were £22.50 which is good but then it shot up to £45 - the cover was not that great and that did not include extra cover for death, advertising, cover during breeding.......

Fennmann - who is the underwriter for your policy?

BASC offer discounted Pet Plan policies. Of all the vets I knwo who have insured dogs, all of them use Pet Plan.

I rang up my vet today and asked if they had an insurance company recommendation.

They said under no circumstances can they favour one company.

Is that right?

Yes it is. To recommend a particular insurance product then you fall under all sorts of bureaucratic financial services regulations.

Some vets have staff trained by a particular company to the required standards and are also a limited scope insurance salesperson.

Vets are limited to giving general advice about insurance. The simple rule is to look at cover limits, whether the condition is covered for life and if the company is reputable. Once you take out insurance you are stuck with the company for life (unless very lucky and never need to go to the vets for anything) so pick right. You can't swap and change. Also read the small print - I can't think I've ever had a genuine claim refused, but have had many refused when people have gone against the T&Cs. Most common are time to report issues, vaccinations up to date, pre-existing conditions, or work not covered (eg dental or special foods).

Once you take out insurance you are stuck with the company for life (unless very lucky and never need to go to the vets for anything) so pick right.

I do not agree at all..... Bonnies used to be with PETPLAN but then we moved her to TESCO insurance and then onto the Co-Op. Never had an issue with moving her from one policy to another and never had an issue with claiming - the few times we did.

I agree with making sure you read the small print - my HR manager at work mentioned she was going to breed from her bitch and when I asked if her insurance covered this she asked why wouldn't it..... the next day she thanked me as she checked that night and found out the bitch wasn't covered.

I do not agree at all..... Bonnies used to be with PETPLAN but then we moved her to TESCO insurance and then onto the Co-Op. Never had an issue with moving her from one policy to another and never had an issue with claiming - the few times we did.

The issue comes with existing conditions. To claim you will need a full history from a puppy. If any problem has been noted (puppy little lame from over doing it noted at second vaccination, for example) can mean they refuse to pay out for arthritis 10 years later. You don't even have to go specifically for the problem, it can just be mentioned to the vet and put in the notes. I've seen it so many times.

• 4 months later...

Dear All,

this is a very important topic, please, whoever you insure with, double check the policy covers your working dog, many do not, regardless of if you get a few quid for beating or picking up. its not always clear, so please take a few moments to email your insurer to double check.

Vet bills for injury can be very high, and you don't want to be in a situation of facing a bill for £1000 or more and find your insurance is invalid.

As with all things, and arguably more so with insurance, you get what you pay for, lower cost polices either have lower levels of cover or restrictions on cover

BASC used to use Pet plan, and there is nothing wrong with the policy, but we have switched to a new insurer and there was a 2 page article about them in the last mag and there is more info on our web site, just type 'dog insurance' in the search box in the top right hand corner if you want to see more

Woof woof

David

I have gone with Direct Line for the first year. They don't cover dogs for gundog use but until my boy is 12 months old at least he won't be doing any gun work. I looked at quite a few policies and found Direct Line to be the best for like for like cover ( and, disappointingly, quite a lot cheaper than the BASC alleged deal)

Best of luck with your pup.

Cover for non working dogs will always be less expensive, dogs that don't work tend not to to suffer injuries such as bone breaks, torn ligaments and so on, all of which are expensive to treat, non working dogs are more likely to suffer illness which is typically allot less expensive to treat, hence lower premiums.

The dog insurance package offered by BASC is not a deal, we don't claim it will be the least expensive, but we have worked hard to ensure its the best possible package for the price.

The salient point, regardless of where you get your dog insurance from is to check the policy wording with the underwriters to ensure it covers you dog adequately for what you are doing.

Ta

David

When I shopped around for dog insurance not once was I asked whether it was a working dog, I think the only thing that was mentioned was whether you get paid for working it.

If you dog gets hurt while out working are you going to be quizzed about whether the accident happened whilst on a walk ? And if you were,would you break down and tell them the truth? my guess is you would never be asked.

Pet plan was the best value for money for me I think it was 17 a month

Edited by gazbev

We had an insurance with Pet Plan on an English Setter from a pup.

There were no claims until she had to have a hysterectomy when she was 7 and the next year the premium trebled.

When I queried this they said that she had reached an age when the risks increased and the premium reflects the risk.

I didn't renew the insurance and since then we have always "self insured" our dogs, by keeping a specific amount to one side for the purpose.

Fortunately, we have never had the need to use any of the money and that is the reality of pet insurance, the need to claim is very rare.

Insurance doesn't cover the annual jabs and examinations and that is usually the only expenditure 90% of pet owners have.

Insurance companies have loads of records of claims and do loads of claims analysis, consequently they know full well the types of claim they are likely to see from non working dogs.

Claims that fall out of that spectrum may well be investigated, the types of injury suffered by working dogs are very rarely seen in pet dogs, they would also question the vet during an investigation to ask them how the injury was likely to be caused.

Personally I would not risk under insuring a dog or anything else, it simply is not worth the risk

Valid point about the annual vaccination / MOT, something I will look into

David