Old School Fowling Values

6.5x55SE

Fenboy you did not upset or offend me by your comments in Penelope Thread but here is a little insight to who i am and what i'm about

1969 i started coastal wildfowling under the watchful eye and guidance of the likes of Kenzie, Harrold Elsegood Harry Hitchcock my Father to name a few in those distant days had i or anybody else High shot Pinks it was often met with Pyhsical reprimand and a real threat of having to have you Gun surgicly removed from your rear end needless to say i quickly learned the art to judge the range and height of Pinks add to the fact of being a Deer Stalker for 38yrs shooting Deer into thousands from 20yrds to 300yrds without the ade of Range Finders etc but the skill of learning range as a Wildfowler as stated i'm fairly good at saying how high Pinks are even when eg 500- 600yrds away.

none of my posts or comments are to offend or make me out to be better than any other But to try and educate and help others infact ive taken Motty Muncher his brother after Geese and in the last 2 weeks 2 total strangers to me who both shot Geese one of whom ive found out is a Holbeach Committe Member so you and others would possibly know him.

So coming from the Old School you and others are dead right it does ruffle my feathers when i see flight after flight constant 5-9 shot barrages going off at 80yrd and higher Pinks and worse still one unlucky Pink falls and the shooter thinks he is a Hero and a Wildfowler and ive seen i reported with glea on the Web another fact is not only are they spoiling others sport and chance they spoil there own but know if its Wink Winking or how ever you want to discribe the Pinkfoot call they have got to shoot at them so no i wont turn a blind eye and say or do nothing no matter who they are or where they shoot or come from as in my opion it makes me just as bad

Not word for word but simular Kenzie Peter Scott and Arthur Cadman said " a true wildfowler is he who can consitantly get Geese on the shore to 30- 45 yrd and cleanly take 2 birds Not he who blazes a box of cartridges and knockes one down from a great height then boasts about it "

Now i do hope this has come across as intended and not seen as i am better than all also sorry for the wording spelling as all can see im poop :yes::good::good:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be lowering you standards boyd if you are taking holbeach members out :lol:

I've seen the high shooting, its not just one marsh like some seem to think. Shame really as it ruins a flight. Infact on sunday i went well out of the way from where i thought the geese would flight just to keep away from any cowboys.

Boyd

I can perfectly understand you reasons for not liking high shooting and would agree with them , I guess with modern chokes and cartridges though that range can be pushed a little from Kenzies day , I do mean a little

It does seem though that you single out Fenland for much of your criticism , now I am not a Fenland member so it does not particularly bother me , but fact is high shooting is carried out on most if not all marshes.

Tonight I had a chat with a chap in sheps car park who was on the marsh you frequent at the weekend , he said he was shocked at the amount of high shooting that went on and described the people down there as cowboys .

I guess we are lucky living local, many drive 100s of miles to shoot our area and I guess if they are presented with a goose that is on the high side they may well think "well i have come all this way I will have a pop "

At the end of the day your opinion or my opinion will not stop it , only the committees of the clubs that control the shooting can really do something about it , but how many members have been banned for high shooting ? not many if any I am guessing .

Then you have to consider the person behind the gun , 30 yards is high for one man , yet another may be capable of knocking them down all day long at 50 .

I think the wildfowling clubs attract a lot of members who join simply because they can get no shooting elsewhere for what ever reason , they perhaps do not get out regular like you and me so will not have built up the sight pictures like you have on the geese or I have on pigeon , only with regular shooting does it become natural to be able to judge range / lead etc without giving it much thought , so in essence some of those shooting high may simply know no better.

Thank you Boyd .

As I think I said when we were having a bit of a disagreement last year , in reality our beliefs are not much different on most things.

I have a couple of flights with Motty today , so hopefully I may get a chance at that pink , I came close on my own Marsh last night but they were just a bit too tall.

Thanks for your offer I may well take you up on it sometime.

Good luck to you both.

Thank you Boyd .

As I think I said when we were having a bit of a disagreement last year , in reality our beliefs are not much different on most things.

I have a couple of flights with Motty today , so hopefully I may get a chance at that pink , I came close on my own Marsh last night but they were just a bit too tall.

Thanks for your offer I may well take you up on it sometime.

A very interesting discussion by all the above members . We might not have the same amount of problems with out of range shooting as you boys up the Wash do , although it don't mean to say it don't go on around here because it do . In wildfowling clubs we have got all levels of experience from people who have little or no judgement of range to people like yourselves who have got a lifetimes of fowling behind them , and I don't know how your clubs work on new members but most of them have to have a new member go out with a mentor for around 6 visits to the marsh and then they can go by themselves . Nowadays most of the new guys ( and some of the older ones ) are only interested in the Geese and are prepared to get one at all costs by getting bigger guns , bigger cartridges and tighter chokes and like Fenboy says a lot of them travel a long way to try and get one and if they are lucky enough to get a skein come over even at 70 to 80yds they look in range to them so they have a go and all there lost is 2 or 3 cartridges , and judging range is not the same to everyone , where Boyd knows 50yds is 50yds to someone else it might only be 45yds so out of range shooting might not be as bad as it once was but I still think its here to stay.

High shooting is a problem where ever you get pinks. I was out last week on the Broads when a skien of 60 pinks came up river W over another clubs ground and they were about 100 yards up. I could not beleve one gun fired 2 shots at them and even worse as the geese climed up to 200 yards high another gun had 2 barrels at them and a single goose turned from the skien and headed back to Breydon. I was amazed the pellets even got that high.

There is hardly a fowler who at on at one time or another has chanced his arm at a high shot by accident by miss judging the range or on purpose, and by high I mean 60-65 yards . But any fowler worth his salt does not take such shots regulary and to any who does just ask yourself how many shots do you have for every goose in the bag. If your average is above 3 shots for every goose them you are shooting beyond your capabilities or beyond the capabilities of your gun and cartridge.

Of course the capability of one gun can be very different between one fowler and another. I know one fowler who is in the top 25 clay shooters in the country any yet he struggles badly with geese , but another fowler who has been shooting geese since he was a kid , knows exactly where to place his shot and can knock down goose after goose at good ranges.

For me 50 yards is my max range at geese when using factory loaded steel shells no matter what the load, but I might push the range a little further if using hevi-shot or tungsten.

Another problem is perception of range or indeed unless you have a good clear view it is not always possible to be sure what the other guy is shooting at. I can remember a day on the Wash when several hundred pinks came over 100 yards up and at the same time a bunch of wigeon flew past 20 yards off. I shot one of the wigeon and later another fowler came over and accused me of high shooting , there had only been one shot fired on the marsh that morning , he had not seen the wigeon and I produced a still warm duck from my bag. On another day I had five very high mallards stone dead for five shots with some souped up home loads , they were within my skill to hit them and within the capibillities of the cartridge to kill the mallard. Again it was sugested I was high shooting , but you cant argue 5 shots for 5 duck. So things are not always what they seem sometimes.

Never the less most of the time its pretty obvious when you see every high skien getting a volley of shots you know whats gong on. I guess the only answer is education and experiance but unfortunetly a few never seem to learn from their experiance.

they were about 100 yards up. I could not beleve one gun fired 2 shots at them and even worse as the geese climed up to 200 yards high another gun had 2 barrels at them

That was a common occurrence on the Solway at Wigton 30+yrs ago, groups of guns with semi autos blazing volleys of shots off into one skein in the hope they get one.

Fenboy hope to hear you have got your Pink.

Graham IMHO you are spot on with your comment

Well I am still pink less , they were either too high or too wide this morning , and the same this evening .

I did have one group that had me twitching for a shot this morning , they were borderline but they spotted something a miss and flared back slightly which took away any doubt about taking the shot

There were a good few out this morning but no shots fired , so no high shooting today.

We did manage three mallard between us on the tide this evening , so all was not lost.

Edited by fenboy

Fenboy unlucky on the Pinks and well done on the Duck. Keep your fingers crossed the Pinks stay where they are and we get a Good Moon as I think you will stand a good chance.

Now if only we could have a thick dense Fog !!!!!!!!! Keep at em your get them I'm sure

Yes I have heard a lot of tails of the shooting in fog , I have yet to encounter it , working 4 on 4 off does give me more of a chance of picking the right tide / weather, so hopefully I will get a pea souper sooner or later.

Yes I have heard a lot of tails of the shooting in fog , I have yet to encounter it , working 4 on 4 off does give me more of a chance of picking the right tide / weather, so hopefully I will get a pea souper sooner or later.

I managed to catch a real pea souper one morning last season, unfortunately no one had told the geese that they needed to fly past :lol:

I managed to catch a real pea souper one morning last season, unfortunately no one had told the geese that they needed to fly past :lol:

Well I guess they still have to be there , a fog and no geese will not work !.

By the way Mat did I tell you I have now shot more on Fenland than you have :whistling::ninja:

Old school values or knowing the range of your gun / cartridge? Anyone shooting sky high because they travelled that far doesn't Deserve to call themselves a wild fowler. This season I have used #1 mammoth steel and The results were disappointing. Next year I intend to use bb in steel as I would rather miss by miles pattern etc than maim. I think if everyone approached the sport on the basis that every move was on camera there would be less sky busting. While I understand no one wants go home with n empty gmr bag surely if he result is that outs wait rose us an easier option?

It certainly does. I have been shooting Wigtown for over 20 years and almost every visit I am dismayed at some of the out of range shooting I have witnessed.

Shot my first foreshore pink at Wigtown bay, the ferryman stories are cracking to read I have a signed copy, it's a shame it's gone down the pan never going in February again , don't know what gets into people they can't be true fowling sorts just marsh cowboys.