Old School Fowling Values

6.5x55SE

I think all it comes down to if you have heavy shot power shot what ever you have you know what your capable of if you know where to put it but 60 yrds plus is not exceptable but also there is alot of members that need to be taught ranges because it can be very deceiving with such a big wing span

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I think your post above is wrong ,,When it was single barrel you only had the one shot then side by sides gave you two and just think the amount of times you get your bird with the second shot !! and Autos 3 shot well very ofton I have finished a duck with the third shot as my first or second only wounded or missed ,what does help is even when duck shooting as against Geese I always put shot sizw 1 heavy load 3 1/2" in as 3rd shot and this gives a bit more range ! I am not a consistent excellent shot I think of myself as a middle of the road shot ,but my average seems to be 3 shots per kill , If I was as good as some on here i would go out a lot less as would not have the frezzers to keep all the duck in !!!!! My sort of fowling which I guess is the same as most on here is in a muddy hole or creek or laying at a uncomftable angle or if lucky on a drum in a hide but duck coming from any side at any given point ,normally from behind or were you are not looking so to get your bird does take more than one shot ,and think of this I dont ofton loose of 3 shots at any bird yet alone all birds ,and if the third shot brings a wounded bird down and in the bag then thats a good thing...But were you put " if it aint in range the first shot it sure isnt going to be for the other 2" well I am,sorry to have to disagree ! and by the way my 3 game frezzers are full !! I do not joke ask other half who complaines she has no room !!!

Riptide

But I do agree with you that high shooting is out of order and having three shots at everything is also ..

And to add a edit Maybe my bag is full due to field craft rather than olympic standard shooting skills !!!

Riptide what I was saying was, if the duck/goose is 80 yds away when the first shot is fired unless you are very lucky and they flare towards you they are going to be even further away when the 2nd and 3rd shots are fired.

I use an auto and agree with you the 3rd shot is good for cripple stopping and I have even been known to kill the very odd triple

but my point was they have to be in range , I like them to be 25/30 yds then you have a chance!

It's all relative. I have just acquired some power shot to make some "sooner dooper lodds" not so that I can extend my range but so that I can ensure cleaner kills at the range that I shoot. Any load that helps achieve this, in my opinion, are an asset and should not be

scoffed at.

Edited by PeteC

The cut out pink is still at Brow Well.

Travelled up there last week, paid for accommodation and whatnot, and had six shots at pinks all week. If I had a pound for every skein I let fly over me because of their range last week I'd be able to have a pretty substantial night out! Always disgusts me to see people popping away at geese that are too high, there's even those who shoot at them when you've let them go over you! The amount of geese you see glide back out to the mud or just about manage to continue on is terrible, these geese are the most amazing birds, we should start respecting them.

Is it worth venturing to the wash around the Christmas time? I'd love to see what the wash is like.

I don't know what marsh you were shooting on, or want to, but it might be better if you reported any high shooting to the Head Marsh Warden so that the club concerned can attempt to deal with the offenders rather than voicing accusations of high shooting all over this forum and ultimately giving the sport of wildfowling a bad name. A lot of us are putting a lot of effort into recruitment and are trying to encourage people to take up the sport. We all

know that high shooting goes on and believe me we as marsh wardens are working hard to get eradicate it. Cheers.

I don't know what marsh you were shooting on, or want to, but it might be better if you reported any high shooting to the Head Marsh Warden so that the club concerned can attempt to deal with the offenders rather than voicing accusations of high shooting all over this forum and ultimately giving the sport of wildfowling a bad name. A lot of us are putting a lot of effort into recruitment and are trying to encourage people to take up the sport. We allknow that high shooting goes on and believe me we as marsh wardens are working hard to get eradicate it. Cheers.

I'm not sure if Browell is still the same but you used to be able to just buy day permits and get on with it. Mind you that was a while ago.

The cut out pink is still at Brow Well.

Travelled up there last week, paid for accommodation and whatnot, and had six shots at pinks all week. If I had a pound for every skein I let fly over me because of their range last week I'd be able to have a pretty substantial night out! Always disgusts me to see people popping away at geese that are too high, there's even those who shoot at them when you've let them go over you! The amount of geese you see glide back out to the mud or just about manage to continue on is terrible, these geese are the most amazing birds, we should start respecting them.

Is it worth venturing to the wash around the Christmas time? I'd love to see what the wash is like.

You never can tell , there may be plenty about or very little , last year was poor around that time for the most part , some of the geese will have likely departed , but if the weather is right there should be plenty of duck.

Enjoy fowling for what it is, sport! If they beat you by getting up high let them pass. No choke or shell made today can seriously better the magnum lead loads of the past at the very best they can equal it. I am sure many of us have had a long shot work out but its just plain wrong to "have a bash" . Shooting them high and missing or injuring only puts them up higher on future flights "dead Geese can't learn"

Enjoy fowling for what it is, sport! If they beat you by getting up high let them pass. No choke or shell made today can seriously better the magnum lead loads of the past at the very best they can equal it. I am sure many of us have had a long shot work out but its just plain wrong to "have a bash" . Shooting them high and missing or injuring only puts them up higher on future flights "dead Geese can't learn"

I'd like to think that a couple of ounces of hevi shot is better than the loads of old.

What ranges could you kill out to with an 8 bore?

Depends on the shooter, most might not shoot as well with an eight as they might with a 12 so in that case less than they can with a 12!

Hunting fowl is about the hunting not the shooting and killing. Getting under them in range is the kick. I use the big guns to kill cleaner at range not further personally.

A 12 ga with 9 ball loads of old has killed some very high geese but wounded a fair few and also pushed thousands up further for the next flight

Every person who owns a gun for the pursuit of live quarry should make it number one priority to learn their ranges and limits . Good cartridges and chokes should be purchased or made to kill cleaner within range rather than further. It does wind me up when I been sitting on the marsh hearing duck or geese in the area and some plonker decides to have a pop at some duck 80 yard up. But that's the difference between a duck shooter and a wildfowler.

Oh no! The Wildfowlers "Agony Aunt" has changed his ID. More rubbish only under a different name?

What a strange post .

He is entitled to an opinion , just like you and me , we may not agree with it but thats life .

what I will say is that though he and myself have not always seen eye to eye on here he is passionate about his sport and does not like to see it being abused the way it is at times

Also despite us having those disagreements on here last night he spent 30 mins or more on the phone to me trying to help in my quest for a foreshore pink .

It turns out as i had said on one of my posts , that mine and his views are essentially the same , yet the way we percieve them on here is different .

It shows how easy it is to judge / misjudge someone you have never met face to face.

What a strange post .

He is entitled to an opinion , just like you and me , we may not agree with it but thats life .

what I will say is that though he and myself have not always seen eye to eye on here he is passionate about his sport and does not like to see it being abused the way it is at times

Also despite us having those disagreements on here last night he spent 30 mins or more on the phone to me trying to help in my quest for a foreshore pink .

It turns out as i had said on one of my posts , that mine and his views are essentially the same , yet the way we percieve them on here is different .

It shows how easy it is to judge / misjudge someone you have never met face to face.

i

Good man fenboy. There are a few on here that don't deserve that respect, but as you said he does. IMHO