Rip-off Britain strikes again

Sco77w

I have just got myself a Remington 870 to use as my designated slug gun so I do a quick internet search for a Williams Ace in the hole sight set so I can choose to either use the peep sight or mount an optic when required.

Midway USA have them at about £18 in their clearance sale. How much do Midway UK want? Try £72. How can that be?

USA wont ship to the UK or a freight forwarding address and UK are living up to their great customer service reputation and still haven't replied to an email I sent them 3 days ago.

It just winds me up.

Does the mossberg rail fit an 870 I'm not sure myself but you'll know when you try it. The pop up/flip rear sights are on eBay.

is that the MBUS sights? I have those too that i bought for my 15-22 and didn't use. they would sit too high the ace in the hole sits nice and low and I should be able to use it with a regular end bead.

as for the rail, my receiver isn't tapped so it could be drilled and tapped to suit.

If you look at the trigger assembly on your 870 it'll have 2 pins holding it in theres a replacement bracket that slides over the receiver with 2 new extended pins that will hold the new picattiny rail. As for the sights there's plenty of choice available on eBay.

I was going for a flip version but don't forget it's a shotgun your eye is the rear sight. I know you want to fire slugs out of yours so that's new to me sorry.

So £18 (special offer sale price) plus shipping from America which is usually around £20 ish as it will be tracked and signed for makes £38, add the usual 30% to that as import duty which makes £49, then add 20% vat makes £59 meaning the uk dealer makes somewhere around £12 profit , it's not the dealer ripping you off its the British government. I just ordered two front brake discs for my car from America, the part cost is £108 , with shipping and taxes they are costing me around £250!

Very few items have duties of 30% - most are in low single digits. Also if the item being imported is less than £135 there is no duty to pay at all - just vat and any clearance fee.

Where people get caught out is that you pay vat on both the cost of the item and the cost if shipping. This goes for all imports, not just personal ones.

Edited by aris

So Midway UK are just making a little profit Aye!!!

Have a look at reloading dies, there over priced by up to £30 on 3 die sets. Just one example, well while I'm on a roll check out the price of case's too.

I'm all for businesses making a profit but come on .

So Midway UK are just making a little profit Aye!!!

I wonder what Midway UK's overhead costs are compared to Midway USA???

Is it Midway being greedy and charging a lot because then can - or are there higher labor rates, fees, and taxes, or other inefficiencies in the UK that add an exorbitant amount to their operating costs?

Remember, all corporate taxes - in the end - are paid by the customers who buy the products or services produced by that corporation.

In the seventeenth century, Sir William Petty, a political economist and statistician, said: "a tax on the production and sale of commodities would eventually be shifted by producers to consumers, who would pay it in the form of higher prices".

Any cost (tax is a cost) to a corporation will eventually be reflected (and recovered) in the price of the product that corporation or business produces and then sells [to you].

Corporate taxes are nothing more than a stealth tax on you. But that's okay as someone has to pay of for the NHS, Police, Fire Service, loafers in the dole, and the rest of the social benefits made available by the Government.

Who would thought Midway UK's prices would lead to a thread like this?

As Aris notes duty is rarely more than 5%. Certainly we do get stiffed by the government but we get totally shafted by the importers. I bought a second hand (though actually brand new HS Precision stock in Canada a few years back for $90) it was off a Factory Remington. That was about £50 at the time and I priced one up on Midway recently....£500 little wonder they refer to Britain as "Treasure island"