decoy help

K.A.T.S

You could have just been in the wrong field or at the wrong time. You need to get those two points right to stand much chance. Had pigeons been feeding in that field? Were you well hidden? A magnet helps draw the attention of birds passing nearby, otherwise they will go to where they expect to see birds feeding.

Finally, there might have been a better option a few fields away, pigeons have super eyesight and from a few 100's feet can see a long way. So, if they remembered feeding in field X and could see several 100 birds happily feeding in field X, where do you think they will go??

It's OK to be under a "flightline", if such things still exist in your part of the country, but if it's a flightline to somewhere else, you stand no chance.

Reccy, reccy and reccy again, then I hope you will have better luck next time.

Decoys are not magical , they are just one piece of the pigeon shooting puzzle .

put in the right place at the right time on the right field and using the correct field craft they can have birds coming into them as if on rails,

If you are not shooting where the pigeon want to be results are usually poor what ever method you use

The purpose of the decoys is to bring the birds within range of the shooter. When you say the the birds flew over the pattern where they not in range? If they were you had done your job. We talk about flight lines and you should set up on the one that is crossing your field for the best chance of a good bag , so watch the field before you set up and select your position to shoot, the decoys should then make then commit.Good luck.

If the birds are on a "mission"...whatever you do or whatever you put out , sometimes it wont make any difference..........the last couple of days i have been shooting what i think is a migration flightline...first day i put out a great pattern with my manual flapper which nearly always brings results...............they payd not a blind bit of notice.......then yeaterday i just put some deeks out ............not one out of thousands decoyed.......the only difference was i put myself (this time) under the birds...........

as the other boys have said.......recce-recce-recce................the more you do it the more you find out what pigeons do............its never the same it changes all the time...and still boys who have been doing it for over 40 years still dont get it right

best of luck

we all try different patterns with mixed results ,if the way you have set your decoys out and it hasn,t work pop out of your hide and move them around a bit no harm in trying , i do this all the time, shooting under a flghtline i have found the more movement ie pigeon rotors going on a higher speed has helped, and putting the decoys out in a block ,