I Blame The Weatherman

pigeon controller

I had a phone call at 08.00 while I was at the stables from a farmer who had been seeding on Thursday and had just come past one of the fields and it was covered with birds , can I come and sort it out. So I picked up DB at 10.00 and we drove to the fields and yes they were covered with birds. the two fields had a wood between them so we decided to walk down to the wood and both have a field each , just stand and shoot and see what the reaction will be . As we walked down the field to the wood it lifted about fifty birds off the field, I stood on the edge and waited for DB to get to the other field. he had a few shots and about one hundred birds lifted out of the wood. I had a couple of shots at high birds going off into the distance. we waited a hour and nothing returned, we think the birds were actually roosting in the wood and the seed feeding birds had just dropped down. We started to make our way back to the Disco when the heavans opened. It lasted for about fortyfive minutes as we sat in the car as it was not worth looking for birds in the terrible rain. We drove to the set aside we shot last week and it had a few birds down so we set up. it was now 13.00 and we started to get a few birds coming to the pattern of twelve thawed birds on spikes. DB had a phone call at 13.30 his family had booked a holiday on the internet and he would have to come home to sort out the kennels for the dog ( not a happy bunny) so we left the hide and threw the other bits into the car and I drove him home, I returned at 14.30 and the birds were comming in well till we had another downpour which lasted another fortyfive minutes and did not stop till 16.00 at one point it was so heavy it was like a " Whiteout". I packed up and picked up sixtythree birds.

The weather forcast for the area was overcast in the morning and bright sunshine in the afternoon

( NOT) I phoned the first farmer when I returned home and he said they were on it miday, so I agreed to look at it Saturday.

Saturday morning I headed to the seed field again , with all the rain we had it was so muddy no self respecting pigeon would venture onto the field , as I pulled up at the gate the field was bare but it had a few in the trees so I walked down and they lifted , I waited for thirty minutes nothing returned so I walked back to the car. As I did the mist came down and it was like night, I drove out of the mist as I went down one of the valley roads and picked up on some birds who had lifted out of the wood I had just been standing in. These were heading to the field I had shot yesterday and I know you should not shoot the field two days running but the flightline to it was none stop, not to the actual field but over it . It then proceeded to rain again ( rowlocks)The forcast was for bright sunshine all day. I set up on a different part of the field with the wind in my face so the birds would have to come over my back to drop in the decoys which were twelve fresh birds from the day before ten on spikes and two on angels. It was frustrating shooting as the birds were flocking and you would get ten to fifteen come to the decoys all at one time and you could only shoot two and spook the rest. Some birds were passing high and not interested in the pattern I dropped a few of these and they had suitcases under their wings???????.

We had another session of rain in the afternoon for about an hour but I had saved some decoys in the hide just in case as the ones in the pattern were in a sorry state. I shot till 16.00 when it was all over by then and picked up fiftysix pigeons

25144974-e2f8-4e13-b12b-6a13bf0252a9_zps

1ad4be57-3dc2-41eb-b2e2-af463ca33a51_zps

Edited by pigeon controller

nowt wrong with those bags PC , I know what you mean about the weather , I was out today crowing and it was a strange day to say the least ( weather wise ) I did seem to have an effect on the way the birds were behaving .