Berretta 686

roadkill

Yes for sporting clays, I have the barrel selector on two red dots, is that wrong also? Just changing the chokes now

There isn't really a right or wrong , but usually you have 1/4 in the bottom 1/2 in the top with selector on dot 1 for bottom barrel first , depending on which clay you are shooting first, distance use 1/2 less use 1/4

Is there a general rule on which barrel you use first? I've always fired bottom first but A number of guys I shoot with have their o/u's firing the top barrel first.

Is it just a preference thing or is there a good reason to use one ahead of the other?

firing bottom first will reduce muzzle flip, so they say.... guns without selectors fire bottom first (Generally)

I shoot top barrel first (in my multi choke guns) for two reasons. First, the barrel selector on my bettinsoli is the same as the safety. When it is I go normal position to the right and you go to slide the safety off, there is some chance that a right handed shooter can push the selector into the central, neutral position which means it won't fire. It isn't common, but switching the barrels solves it completely. Second, when you open the gun to reload, it is a lot easier to drop a cartridge in the top barrel. If you open the gun and it closes just a little bit, then you can't get one in the bottom barrel as easily.

Thanks

Rick