New home for Blue....

NickB65

Picked up Blue an 18 month ESS and I have to thank Richard for letting me provide a new home to what is a lovely dog. Blue has some lovely manners and some solid basic training and is very keen.

I can not wait to get in the field with him and start the training but first time to bond .........

Well it has been only three days since we got BLUE and he is doing well. From day one he has accepted me as the boss - wish the wife would - and he has been excellent coming back when called and doing all the basic drills. He has been very stressed when he can not see us and this is totally expected and understandable. Night time was a little noisy but last night he slept through without a hitch,

Training will start this week and we shall go back to basics with heal and sit. He does these great but looks around and does not pay attention. Also when at distance he will not sit on command but runs in and then sits.... He has accepted the whistle and comes back to a PEEP PEEP and when launching decoys the now sits and waits for the command every time - sometimes without even being asked.

I also need training as I need to remember to be consistent in my commands, what I ask for and what I expect......

Took him to the farm yesterday afternoon and took the gun with me and he was well happy. Fired the gun while a dummy was in the air and he did not flinch. Did try and bag a bird for him but with all this mild weather the partridge and Pheasant are all over the place and the only one that came into range I missed.... :-(

Will keep this thread updated with his progress.

Well Blue had his first rough shoot with my brother in-law and I on his farm. The local shoot had swept through the main fields as it is shoot day so we started off on some of the smaller field in Fenland. The first field was young wheat and we walked the ditch that goes around two side of the field. Halfway and Blue was working well getting in when asked but keeping close. Then a hen pheasant got up and over the ditch which I dropped with a single shot. I only winged it and it was a real flapper but I asked Blue to get it and he jump the ditch and went straight to the bird. It was still flapping and leaping around but he did not hesitate and got to grips and came back with the bird. Over the ditch and deposited the bird at my feet. Well impressed. The rest of the field was bird free so we went back to the main farm. We walked the fields and managed to get a few partridge up. Blue was getting a little mentally tired as he was not listening to the whistle but did to his name..... When there are birds on the ground he will chase but soon comes back to me when called.

As we stood with our backs to the tall trees we watched the empty skies and then slowly moved along to the hedges. A partridge got up and down it came but it was a runner and Blue was soon on the bird. After a little run back he came with the partridge nestled neatly I n his mouth. Sadly he dropped the bird at my feet and it soon got up and was running again. Blue tried to track it down but the bird was off across the field and then paddocks so was out of bounds.

The next bird was another runner but again Blue was on the ball and picked it up but again dropped it at my feet but this time the bird was a little harder hit so did not run much more The last bird of the morning, another partridge, was a simple dropped bird about 30 yards out.

Given this is Blues first rough shoot with me he was solid and consistent. Some work to be done of the delivery of the bird but he is one amazing chap.

Pictures on the way.....

• 2 weeks later...

Well Blue has come on steadily and his distance SIT to command is nearly 90% while his heal work and direction work is excellent. Sadly my father passed away last Friday so many of the plans to shoot were scuppered so we have concentrated on the more dummy work and Blues presenting of the dummy. When visiting mum he has come with me which has meant he has had to get used to different people,places and distance car journeys which he has taken in his stride.

The next opportunity to shoot will not be for a while but until then we will concentrate on the distance STOP, direction work and blind retrieves which is has yet to master.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Monday was a day off to be spent with Blue and a little rough shoot. My brother in-law was up for a walk around his farm as he wanted to try out his new 20g. Monday was a fine day with a gentle breeze, a slight ground frost but clear blue skies. I arrived at the farm and Blue and I scanned the fields and there was not a bird to be seen. The skies were void of any feathered life.... not even a crow. We went to the Drove first and walked the big field which has some nice ditches that normally offer a hen or cock pheasant. Blue was on form and very keen diving into the thickest cover and jumping from one side of the ditch to the other when the scent lead him that way. A couple of times he would race ahead on a scent but came straight back when called. The field and ditch were devoid of life so we went to the next field. This was a lovely walk along a rape field hedge and was on the edge of an estate so we were hoping for some action. The hedge was an ancient blackthorn hedge and this and spiky but Blue dived in where he could. The solid side of the hedge tempted him to race down the edge but again came straight back when called. The first hedge yielded nothing so onto a little copse. All the time I was scanning toe skies and not a bird was seen. As we approached the copes which is a thin almost hedge type copse with very tall trees we could see pigeons sitting high up and then floating down. We could also see a few partridge and pheasant milling around. As we approached the Partridge left swiftly and so did a few of the pigeons. As we walked along the copse the pigeons left well ahead of us so when we were halfway along there were only a few at the far end where the copse joined another hedge. A squirrel darted up a tree and then stopped and watched us. Blue was on the lead now as we slowly walked along the copse edge. As I drew level to the squirrel the last of the pigeons left so Mr Squirrel joined the heavenly choir with one load of number 6. We stood in the copse for 45 minutes but the pigeons never returned..... One loan partridge flew low left to right and it was an impossible shot but I had to try and I missed.... Blue shot out after the bird which was not asked for but came straight back when called...... will have to work on that but given the lack of sport and the long wait I kind of don't blame him.

We walked two more fields all mature hedgerows and a mix of wheat and rape fields and nothing. Blue worked well but even he was getting bored. As we stood by the barn about to pack up a loan pigeon flew high overhead and dropped with a single shot. It landed in some deep cover and Blue waited for the command and then off he went. I joined him as I was not sure if it had not landed further out but as I went past Blue looking deeper into the cover out he popper with the bird in mouth. He was chuffed and I was well pleased.......

Three shots..... one pigeon and one squirrel.... not the best day bag wise but given the past week it was just what Blue and I needed.