Fenny

Had a lovely surprise this Friday gone, my neighbor who is a fellow shooter walked across the road as I saw him coming I said to my wife whats Ian come to moan about as this is the normal ritual when he comes to my house. Hello Shaun I have an issue he says so being cynical I think what can it be this time, but to my great surprise he says you have been good to me I know I moan a lot and you have always been polite, I would like you to have all my shooting gear and guns my jaw dropped. I asked him what money he would like he said absolutely nothing what do you think I should get him as a thank you cheers Fenny

Aside from the issue of a 'thank you' for the moment be sure to tell him that you use his kit and also a few tales about what you do with it. If he's an old boy it'll probably be important to him that others will carry on doing what he loves. Value his gear, use it, love it and every time you have a dram out in the field spare a thought for him.

My long dead uncle is always in the field with me when I carry his gun. A friend of my father is there too when I use his canteen. I'd never really thought of the important of continuity until one night, over a quiet drink looking out over the Teme, a friend's father remarked how much it meant to him that his son and his friends loved and valued field sports as he did. Mind you he needed to keep us on side - we'd got video of him very inebriated in the small hours after his wedding anniversary singing 'What's new pussycat" at the top of the stairs. We'd yet to work out the price of silence to keep it from his fellow pilots.......heh heh.

I had a similar experience I am self employed and did a job for this family who had recently lost the husband and the widow asked if I wanted his shooting gear as her eldest boy was only 12 so I was I bit unsure and asked to see his guns as she said he had quite a few.

So I had a look and I don't think she realised how many he had. I thought bloody hell he must of been a doomsday prepper. Or something anyway bloody hell what a collection he had there was a lot of money's worth there way to much to give away and I couldn't take them so I put in touch with my local gun shop and they sold the guns for commission only sales and the nice thing was they persuaded her to keep the best gun for her son for a later date.

When she told me what she had the guns valued for I was shocked and I new I had done the right thing now hopefully her son will shoot and have his dad's gun with him for years to come.