A right Carrion.

JDog

One of my golden rules in connection with shooting is never to take anyone crow bashing for the simple reason that I am not good at it and I do not want to embarrass myself more than I need to. My normal method of shooting a fast crosser or a high bird is just to swing hard. I never see the bead or any lead. With crows it is different as they just hang there in the air. I see the bead but I do not know where to put it as no swinging is required. 'Black bin liners' is what a friend of mine calls them.

On my way home today I saw that a field close to home had been drilled with wheat yesterday and there were some crows on it. Within half an hour I was set up with eight flock coated decoys and a good hide position and a decent wind from behind. Only when a game shoot started half a mile away did crows return. The first two dead went onto floaters and this to me was the key to my two hours of good shooting as they bounced merrily on the wind adding movement to the pattern. As more birds were added incomers became bolder and were easier to shoot. Any dead birds which were carried by the wind had to be retrieved and added to the pattern as they were causing incomers to land short.

The bag was 32 Carrion crows, 2 Rooks, 2 Jackdaws and a very unlucky long crossing pigeon.

Apologies if the picture is dark as it was nightfall by the time I had packed up.

DSC05741.jpg

Well done JDog you did very well, crows are my nemesis also , I don't see the bead when I'm pigeon shooting just point a shoot . When I'm asked to crow shoot I have to re educate my brain to use the bead , the target is the beak and a bit more. Once it's programmed I'm alright to shoot. You used your fieldcraft to use the wind to your advantage and keep adding to the pattern, again well done great result.

I was mesmerised by the photograph JDog.Something about the low light & the subject matter with the light reflected off the black plumage made it seem 'Just right' to me.Good session by the sound of it ,although I prefer to watch rather than shoot shoot rooks in particular.