I think I need to get my eyes tested!

rich1985

Well went on the flight pond for the first time this season tonight, only thought there was a few mallard coming on. Well I have never ever shot so appallingly in my life and I mean that! I've been shooting my 20 bore hushpower for the last year or so more and more but I can't put steel though it as it's full choke so I got the side by side out, well got all hidden up by the pond and the mallard came and they came, 40 to 50 of them in 5s 6s and 7s. I had 28 shots for a grand total of.............2. Is it the swap from the gun or do you think I have just turned rubbish!! I normally kill them a treat! I don't know what happened, I mean they looked like dustbin lids coming in!

As I always tell my son , The Most important shot you will ever take , Is The next One .

I had my SxS wows many years ago , changed to an OU and then added a Semi or 2 and never looked back .

Last Night , 2 MALLARD , 3 WEGION and 5 Teal , some cracking shots , but the important shot is my Next One ! .

Forget it all, start afresh , enjoy.

Going by the title of your post there might well be some truth in it . I have been lucky and had good eye sight all my life , but the last couple of seasons I struggle on clear nights picking the duck out clear enough for a shot . I was out the same night you were talking about , dead flat calm and no cloud cover I got a Widgeon out of a small bunch that came past in poor light which didn't tell me much how I was shooting as one came out of a tight group I fired at , but as it got darker a few duck came in and I had 4 more shots for nothing else , I could see the duck but with no background I couldn't pick them out when the gun was in my shoulder , so that was it I knew I was beaten and for the next 5 to 10 minutes I just sat there and watched a few more swinging about . there is always another night . In my case I put it down to old age , in your case " Rich " it might be just getting your eyes tested .

I once had 19 shots for two widgeon on the marsh, it was a bad sky and my shoulder was playing up and I hadn't realised how much it was hindering me on certain presentations at that time. The duck were still coming and I had shells left but I packed up and sat the rest of the flight out. I should always stop or radically change tactics before I fired 28 for two. Yes the change of gun could be a thing but things are unlikely to just come good during an evening flight in future at lest think on its unlikely you had 26 total clean misses if you bagged two something was coming out the end.

Going by the title of your post there might well be some truth in it . I have been lucky and had good eye sight all my life , but the last couple of seasons I struggle on clear nights picking the duck out clear enough for a shot . I was out the same night you were talking about , dead flat calm and no cloud cover I got a Widgeon out of a small bunch that came past in poor light which didn't tell me much how I was shooting as one came out of a tight group I fired at , but as it got darker a few duck came in and I had 4 more shots for nothing else , I could see the duck but with no background I couldn't pick them out when the gun was in my shoulder , so that was it I knew I was beaten and for the next 5 to 10 minutes I just sat there and watched a few more swinging about . there is always another night . In my case I put it down to old age , in your case " Rich " it might be just getting your eyes tested .

I wear glasses and I could see them just fine! They were like dustbin lids! Ha ha. I may have over leaded them, I will try again in a couple of weeks! I've shot 40+ duck on that pond on loads and loads of nights! will see how I get on next time. Thanks for the comments guys!

I have problems when i miss and then start to think the next shot ... end up thinking too much, working out, angle, lead, which choke, Am i too tightly choked/too loosely? etc.... then realise I am doing it so keep gun down till last possible second and hit it clean and dead in the air

Edited by nic

This hapened to most of use at one time or another. What sometimes works for me is after a string of missed duck in a flight is to put the gun down relax watch the next couple of birds over and then pick up the gun and take careful aim and with a little luck my aim returns .

For some reason my season always follows the same pattern. I start off shooting well and then after 6-8 weeks go through a period of poor shooting and them in mid season my stright shooting returns for the remainder of the season. I suspect after a few weeks shooting I become a bit casual in my shooting and need the shock of a few easy misses to make me consintrate again. For some reason geese are not usualy a problem its ducks in poor light that trip me up.

This hapened to most of use at one time or another. What sometimes works for me is after a string of missed duck in a flight is to put the gun down relax watch the next couple of birds over and then pick up the gun and take careful aim and with a little luck my aim returns .

For some reason my season always follows the same pattern. I start off shooting well and then after 6-8 weeks go through a period of poor shooting and them in mid season my stright shooting returns for the remainder of the season. I suspect after a few weeks shooting I become a bit casual in my shooting and need the shock of a few easy misses to make me consintrate again. For some reason geese are not usualy a problem its ducks in poor light that trip me up.

Totally agree, sometimes you just shoot badly it's as simple as that. You can go out and hit everything some days, others miss easy birds. Sometimes it's the place where you are sitting, not easy finding a good place to sit on the marsh.

Well went on the flight pond for the first time this season tonight, only thought there was a few mallard coming on. Well I have never ever shot so appallingly in my life and I mean that! I've been shooting my 20 bore hushpower for the last year or so more and more but I can't put steel though it as it's full choke so I got the side by side out, well got all hidden up by the pond and the mallard came and they came, 40 to 50 of them in 5s 6s and 7s. I had 28 shots for a grand total of.............2. Is it the swap from the gun or do you think I have just turned rubbish!! I normally kill them a treat! I don't know what happened, I mean they looked like dustbin lids coming in!

i have shot alsorts of guns over the years and normally use o/u's but i tried back with the s/s and bought 2 in the spring went out pigeon shooting twice firing 40 shot before i quit in disgust with grand total of 5 :lol::lol::lol: .....that reminds me i have 2 s/sides to sell cheap aswell :good: