The future of the sport is in good hands...I think :/

bigbird

There are lots of children on our shoot, it's a real family affair. There are lots of wonderful kids there but I've only posted pictures of my own children for obvious reasons..

They all thoroughly enjoy it!

My eldest daughter who is 10 (middle daughter disappears as soon as you produce a camera)

Sorry for pic Extreme Overload!

DSC_1068_zpse252713d.jpg

DSC_1020_zps02c3f953.jpg

Eldest and the famous Sammy Bogoff

DSC_0770_zps940910af.jpg

Not quite sure what magman's son on the right is doing here - I dread to think...!

DSC_0763_zpsce9926eb.jpg

My 7 yr old son

DSC_1003_zps6de7349e.jpg

DSC_0782_zps169cb48d.jpg

DSC_0957_zpsd7cb148a.jpg

DSC_08712_zps8731dd11.jpg

DSC_0784_zps4373e15b.jpg

Edited by bigbird

Great stuff, you should be rightly proud. The issue is our future is anything but safe I fear , rarely do we have kids from outside of shooting families getting involved and many of the kids who do get involved as young uns are moving to other things like study, work and cities then kids of their own and not returning to the fields, marshes, woods, moor and rivers or keeping it up as they enter their twenties and thirties.

We have to come up with a better plan than speaking to the converted if we are to pass fieldsports on to future generations. This isn't to say its not great to get your own kids involved, like most of us try but we need them to interest their chums and we need to find a way reach out to the "unconnected" kids.

My eldest first picked up a gun at 7 yrs old and proved a very capable shot (though I never pushed her), caught her first trout before she attended school with her first on the fly at around 6 yrs. Only recently when BASC came into her school did she find out who among her school friends also shot a bit. Will the Young shots ambassador scheme help with this? perhaps but I do feel the reach needs to be wider more into the towns.

A wildfowling club I know recently had a goose flight (a very good opportunity thousands of pinks) the mash was closed to shooting a week prior to give them the very best chance! Six booked in, two turned up on the morning one had two misses (hey don't it happen to us all when the pressure is on) the other one shot for one goose. That single goose must have been the most unlucky goose this year because tens of thousands came off that morning, wonder what the other young shots were doing that morning. Many of our young shots have it on tap you see, the kids of single mums in the town and other like are the ones we really need.

Hey don't mean to distract from your excellent thread but perhaps we can all start to look for ideas and take initiative outside the box or there will soon be no sport or support for our own kids who are already involved. Invite a friend perhaps?

Some of the best pictures that I have seen on here.

Hoping to take the son of my girlfriend's friend out beating soon, as he shows an interest. My GF's son has been out feeding with us and hopefully he will come too.

This is what I mean, If we all did this at least once a season it could make a terrific difference. Its sometimes hard because many parents see guns and shooting as a danger to their kids so if they have doubts invite them also perhaps?

top post and nice pics.. theyre must be quite a few kids out there that would love to have a go..trouble is with todays society one has to be very careful where guns and yougsters are concerned...and to incorporate the 2 together is no mean feat....full marks to anyone that does... :good::good: .

My GF has really embraced the whole shooting thing. So far she has been pigeon shooting with me, out beating on the Saturday just gone and up at 3:15am for an hour's drive to my inland goose shoot for the morning flight on Sunday.

She is spreading the word amongst her friends, family and colleagues and regularly shows them the photos she has on her phone.

I also take prepped game to work and give it to people to try.

It all spreads the word and gives non shooters some informed insight to what we do and why.

This is what I mean, If we all did this at least once a season it could make a terrific difference. Its sometimes hard because many parents see guns and shooting as a danger to their kids so if they have doubts invite them also perhaps?

Edited by Penelope

My GF has really embraced the whole shooting thing. So far she has been pigeon shooting with me, out beating on the Saturday just gone and up at 3:15am for an hour's drive to my inland goose shoot for the morning flight on Sunday.

She is spreading the word amongst her friends, family and colleagues and regularly shows them the photos she has on her phone.

I also take prepped game to work and give it to people to try.

It all spreads the word and gives non shooters some informed insight to what we do and why.

Good effort. Of course just watching you shoot she will have no yardstick. I suppose you told her that you were good?

The next stage is plucking but I imagine that you have done that by now.

Three shots for two cock birds on Saturday and a R&L at Canadas on Sunday, so I think she knows.

Had her breasting and jointing a cock on Sunday afternoon, as I said she is embracing things fully.

Good effort. Of course just watching you shoot she will have no yardstick. I suppose you told her that you were good?

The next stage is plucking but I imagine that you have done that by now.

Great stuff, you should be rightly proud. The issue is our future is anything but safe I fear , rarely do we have kids from outside of shooting families getting involved and many of the kids who do get involved as young uns are moving to other things like study, work and cities then kids of their own and not returning to the fields, marshes, woods, moor and rivers or keeping it up as they enter their twenties and thirties.

We have to come up with a better plan than speaking to the converted if we are to pass fieldsports on to future generations. This isn't to say its not great to get your own kids involved, like most of us try but we need them to interest their chums and we need to find a way reach out to the "unconnected" kids.

My eldest first picked up a gun at 7 yrs old and proved a very capable shot (though I never pushed her), caught her first trout before she attended school with her first on the fly at around 6 yrs. Only recently when BASC came into her school did she find out who among her school friends also shot a bit. Will the Young shots ambassador scheme help with this? perhaps but I do feel the reach needs to be wider more into the towns.

A wildfowling club I know recently had a goose flight (a very good opportunity thousands of pinks) the mash was closed to shooting a week prior to give them the very best chance! Six booked in, two turned up on the morning one had two misses (hey don't it happen to us all when the pressure is on) the other one shot for one goose. That single goose must have been the most unlucky goose this year because tens of thousands came off that morning, wonder what the other young shots were doing that morning. Many of our young shots have it on tap you see, the kids of single mums in the town and other like are the ones we really need.

Hey don't mean to distract from your excellent thread but perhaps we can all start to look for ideas and take initiative outside the box or there will soon be no sport or support for our own kids who are already involved. Invite a friend perhaps?

Indeed vey true, it's good to get non shooting families involved, we have/had 4 young uns which are from non shooters, the girl climbing the gate with Ali's son is one of them, she's had a hard time in school due to talking about the shoot but luckily still persists in beating and, on occasion, shooting with a 410!

Teach them young before they take on other peoples misconceptions