OSR

maxwell

I had a walk about first thing today as there is usually a flight line up the edge of the dene only to find the pigeon already down feeding at 7 o clock on the OSR, I walked them off and approx 150/200 birds lifted, I only managed a couple, I then waited for an hour or so but nothing returned and was surprised when I checked the crop it was stuffed with hawthawn berries and OSR that early in the morning. I had a chat with the farmer who told me they had started dropping onto the OSR last week so plan to get there before it's light tomorrow, hopefully to catch a couple coming in before the main flock arrives, traveling light with a dozen shells and tucked into the tree line

Cheers Maxi

In place for dawn breaking, same spot 12 shells set on the floor as the wind was far too strong for springs or sticks, birds came straight in to the Deeks in groups of 40+ some tried to land! I managed 14 in half an hour then it stopped dead around 7.15, waited a while but no more birds, a couple had hawthawn berries in their crops again? they must be roosting in the hawthawn trees, a nice bit of sport in the wind and a bag of meat, happy days

Maxi

I never shoot OSR at first light preferring to have the pigeons there when I arrive I would walk them off not shoot at them as this will scare the whole flock and its doubtful if any would return, I also never shoot at any groups of more than about twenty or so birds instead I jump about waving my arms about to get rid of them hopefully they return later in more manageable numbers so instead of shooting into a flock of 200+ birds none of which return the 200+ hopefully split up into small groups and give a days shooting instead of a hectic 20 minutes and then hours of nothing. It works for me anyway.

Understood, every where has its trends and some shoot differently especially away from where they roost, I have shot this farm for 8 year and spent a lot of time watching the local pigeon that roost in the dene they either flight out in the morning to return to roost or if occasionally find a field to feed will sit in the trees on the edge of the dene dropping in to the field, there are no joining flight lines from elsewhere unfortunately so this limits the shooting mostly to flight line,

Cheers Maxi

• 2 weeks later...