Ferreting???

pigeon controller

Has any body been out yet , I keep looking to go out but the thick undergrowth puts me off. If you go out put some pictures up.

There will be more young around as this warm spell will mess up the already messed up seasons over the last 10 years..

We won't be out until late November as with more potential digging in heavy cover is on the cards.......

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

There will be more young around as this warm spell will mess up the already messed up seasons over the last 10 years..

We won't be out until late November as with more potential digging in heavy cover is on the cards.......

TEH

TEH[/quote

A good bit of intel, thanks

out and cleared some brambles etc from a few sets but won't be going out with the ferrets until we get a few frosts and harder weather'[/quote

Thanks for the intel will wait for them to get bigger

Done a few open burries in a orchard last weekend. Managed a dozen with no young. which was good going considering four were from under a shed. My son of five was helping with his grandad who is 72 :)

90 per cent of my ferreting is hedgerows down here and as said earlier they just don't seem to die back till end of November, then young are appearing early February.

We have adapted over the years by long netting complete lengths of hedgerows rather than trying to purse up small warrens it takes a few people but we don't lose many from bolt holes that are covered.

Keep the forum updated. Good luck lads get at them you wont have long and there is no better sport.

TEH

nowt wrong with a bit o digging! Edited by Man o kent

Had a few trips out now, the regular farm we ferret isn't worth bothering with to be honest as the numbers are very low. But on the arable farms its much better, still lots of nettles and thistles though.........

20141022_154018.jpg20141005_135557-1.jpg20140921_174717.jpg20141026_162700.jpg

That brilliant pictures and results, I'm starting to get twitchy about going out but its so warm.

• 3 weeks later...

That's some bag Magwitch! We don't get those sort of numbers anymore (and rarely did in the past) and I'm getting too old for ratching around on my knees, and ferreting mate who really knew his stuff has lost interest. My other mate has no interest (frightened of ferrets and rabbit guts :) ) and I find netting not really practical on my own so bolt them to guns via my two jills. Get some good numbers (nothing like we did when netting and nothing like yours above) but only 50p each for shotgunned, gutted as opposed to £1.50 headshot gutted. But I don't mind, it is fabulous fun. Intend to get back out there as soon as time allows.

I think we needed more than luck today! Gave up after 4hours and not a single rabbit. Some good looking holes, keen ferrets, nothing doing though. Can only presume they are all above ground still in undergrowth where we have been today. Better luck next weekend!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rabbits in my part of the world are pretty scarce, in fact i see more Roe. Not working my Ferrets to Rat no more, so mine are getting pretty FAT. Going back 40 years if i was to say to the local lads that in the future there'd be no Rabbits or Hares but Foxes, Badgers and Deer would be plentiful i'd be looked on rather odd!

The sets I cleared before my ferrets got nicked had nowt in them when I worked my new young jills inn them and as this was next to a maze stubble field there was to many signs of rats about for me to be happy to let the youngins keep working this area for the moment.But got my hopes up a couple of times on another shoot/permission I have as the stock man reported plenty of rabbits about then we find a few dead uns when we have a shoot day and the farm lads say the bunnies have all gone now this seems to be the trend at the moment now you see them now you don't been wondering if it's owt to do with the farm using a lot of bait stations for the rats could the rabbits be taken some of the bait ? Plus on the place I beat the dog has been flushing rabbits where we wouldn't normally flush any so they seem to be stopping above ground in that area.Anyway waiting for pal to introduce me to a couple of farms he says want us to tackle some sets but as the song says I'AM STILL WAITING. :oops:

Edited by scutt

Rabbits now are getting very inbred, a few years ago when they got too thinned out from an area others just moved in from another patch but now what with our massive (human) population explosion(sets are now housing estates) they are pretty scarce (where i live), and before someone replies to this, yes, not in all areas. Scutt, the rabbits that survived myxy were the ones that didn't nest in burrows but nested 'on top'.

Anyway, I'm breeding a litter of 3/4 Ferret 1/4 Wild Eurasian Polecat (my sons) this year. The half crosses were bred for Rat (no good for Rabbit they always kill underground). I'm no longer hunting Rat but!!

Were really struggling as well with the rabbits, we have had a couple of good days but more bad days and thats covering an area from Tees Valley to Northumberland, I know there is some reporting good numbers but I'm hearing more bad than good, we have more or less gave up for this winter, but then again If I was still ferreting I probably wouldn't have started the pigeon shooting so I suppose I've always got something to keep me busy