Crimp problems

Hi all,

Well got a lee loadall press to start reloadibg my own 20g got one secondhand a while ago now. But only just got everything else sorted (moved house) so got all the stuff needed and gave it go used a recipe that the guy I bought it off had, as he sold it with powder shot and wads. Just needed to add hulls. So got some hulls today from FES. So tried it out and the crimp is opening out in the middle of the 70mm hulls so the shot is visible, any ideas of what I'm doing wrong.???

I'm using #1 spacer for powder ( hodgdon longshot and 110 spacer for shot. Bp wad

Any ideas welcome.

I saw that thread and read it through. But seems to be a different problem and not sure what a spacer is? The only thing I saw from the thread that it might be is that I'm pressing too hard on final crimp pushing it past the horizontal and inwards. Can that be the problem I've got. Does the height of the overall stack be too short for the hull to crimp properly??

Post some picture's of the problem crimp's, Also do you have a set of scales to measure the powder drop's also what is the recipe that you have been given so the PW reloading community can check it out for you .

cheers Andy H

Edited by Andy H

Are the crimp petals going in too far or are they not closing at all. If the former, then your column is too short. If the latter it is too long. You should have just over a cm between the top of the shot and the top of the hull.

I hope you don't mean #1 "spacer" for powder as that is the shot bush and relates to one ounce of shot. The 110 bush is for the powder. Please say that is a typo! Similarly, read up on it before starting. You can download the users manual from the internet.

Edited by Uncle Albert

Hi all,

Well got a lee loadall press to start reloadibg my own 20g got one secondhand a while ago now. But only just got everything else sorted (moved house) so got all the stuff needed and gave it go used a recipe that the guy I bought it off had, as he sold it with powder shot and wads. Just needed to add hulls. So got some hulls today from FES. So tried it out and the crimp is opening out in the middle of the 70mm hulls so the shot is visible, any ideas of what I'm doing wrong. ???

I'm using #1 spacer for powder ( hodgdon longshot and 110 spacer for shot. Bp wad

Any ideas welcome.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO, STOPPPPPPPPPPPP!! :o :o RTFM!!!

Edited by turbo33

Having read around this subject on the forum. And some trial and error. I've found adding 4x .410 over shot cards to the cup of the wad to raise the stack up give me some good results. Now I wonder if there is a was I can get that will do this job without the need to add the card. The wad is a b&p the overall length is 39mm. The distance to the bottom of the cup is 20mm.

Is this a wind up, no1 bushing is for 1 oz of shot .

110 is the powder bushing

boom

Edited by brian28

Think pictures are needed to diagnose properly, could be everything's too high or low or the top of the cartridge "splayed out" (is it tight in a chamber?).

Is the crimp deep? Too deep and you'll get the gap you describe because the "petals" dish towards the shot - don't pull the lever so far.

Is it shallower than you'd expect? Lots of people find placing a coin beneath the cartridge on the press cures this (or cut a bit off the longest station so it can be operated further).

Splayed out probably means there isn't enough room in your hulls for the recipe you are using - either find a slightly shorter wad or use different hulls.

Not what you want to hear but the load all really is a painful way to reload, the lack of adjustments makes it very difficult to get good results, just my opinion.

That said, it's a start and perfection isn't really necessary, if the shot doesn't leak out; they'll still drop vermin no problem. You'd be well advised to check the weight of shot and powder though, just to be on the safe side.

I agree with turbo33 stop,,, check and double check....

Make sure you bushings are the correct ones and make sure they throw out the right weight of shot and powder , this means weighing out a few samples of each to get an average weight!!!!!!!!

That being done you must have the wrong types of wads too long too short...

If you only make one mistake ... It could be your last.

So PLEASE TAKE EXTRA CARE......

if it gets better by adding overshot cards in the wad's cup (use 28g not .410 btw) then is a height problem.

you either need more power, more lead or a different wad.

With the Lee, i noticed that if you tap the bar a few time, the weight of bith powder and lead changes, probably best to check with the guy how he used to make his shells just so that you know if you're doing anything different.

Anyway, best post a picture of it.

Also, has this guy ever proofed his load or was another magic recipe from someone/somewhere else?? does he know whether is safe to shoot or not?

NEVER LOAD BASED ON SOMEONE ELSE RECIPE UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROOFING SHEET!!!!

With any change in bushings, always start off by dropping about 20 samples of powder and weighing them. Follow the reloading cycle and check how consistent the charge is. Empty the powder out and repeat with the shot. You will then get an idea of how accurate the bush is. Don't forget to document each load. I find the Lee press is fairly consistent with powder which helps.

If you get yourself a set of digital scales then you can check the weights as you go.

• Set the Tare weight after re-priming the hull.
  • Drop the charge and weigh it.
  • Put the wad in.
  • Reset the Tare weight.
  • Drop the shot in.

Record each weight.

I generally tap the powder hopper each time I drop a charge and I find that the charges are consistent. After checking the load of shot I might have to add a couple of shot to get the weight right but that's half the fun of reloading.

Edited by Uncle Albert