Passenger pigeons or residents?

JDog

Yesterday I travelled out of my comfort zone of the Cotswolds up the Fosseway towards Warwick. Never being one to let a sporting opportunity pass by I was looking for pigeons on my journey even though my kit was not in the car when I saw a cloud of birds that resembled a murmuration of starlings. They were pigeons, maybe 600 or more and they were circling round a field which on closer inspection was freshly drilled wheat.

Sod's Law dictated that my trusty Landranger series OS map finished a mile or so South of this land so I had to get back on the road to look for the nearest farm. I took the next left and came to a farm after half a mile. The house was large and newish and the buildings were new and the farm yard was littered with thirty vehicles in various stages of being dismantled. What a contrast. A large man on a tractor was the first person I saw and he owned the land, the buildings and the other vehicles. The other man with him was underneath the same tractor. I introduced myself, told him of my interest and asked him who owned the land a mile away with all the pigeons on it and he told me but added that the gamekeeper would not let me on in any circumstances. To be fair I had seen cover crops near the field in question.

As I was about to go, and before I could thank him for his time he said why not shoot some of the pigeons on his fields which he had drilled with beans three days before? Sure enough looking between the buildings I could see a stream of pigeons heading to the bean field and after I had left the yard I went to watch. There were pigeons all over the place and I went back to say that I would be there today, weather permitting. The weather has not permitted and it has been very wet and I have had one or two minor emergencies today so I have not been. They will probably have all gone when I do get there tomorrow.

Yesterday I travelled out of my comfort zone of the Cotswolds up the Fosseway towards Warwick. Never being one to let a sporting opportunity pass by I was looking for pigeons on my journey even though my kit was not in the car when I saw a cloud of birds that resembled a murmuration of starlings. They were pigeons, maybe 600 or more and they were circling round a field which on closer inspection was freshly drilled wheat.

Sod's Law dictated that my trusty Landranger series OS map finished a mile or so South of this land so I had to get back on the road to look for the nearest farm. I took the next left and came to a farm after half a mile. The house was large and newish and the buildings were new and the farm yard was littered with thirty vehicles in various stages of being dismantled. What a contrast. A large man on a tractor was the first person I saw and he owned the land, the buildings and the other vehicles. The other man with him was underneath the same tractor. I introduced myself, told him of my interest and asked him who owned the land a mile away with all the pigeons on it and he told me but added that the gamekeeper would not let me on in any circumstances. To be fair I had seen cover crops near the field in question.

As I was about to go, and before I could thank him for his time he said why not shoot some of the pigeons on his fields which he had drilled with beans three days before? Sure enough looking between the buildings I could see a stream of pigeons heading to the bean field and after I had left the yard I went to watch. There were pigeons all over the place and I went back to say that I would be there today, weather permitting. The weather has not permitted and it has been very wet and I have had one or two minor emergencies today so I have not been. They will probably have all gone when I do get there tomorrow.

the very same thing happened to me about 5 years ago, enquiring about some land I saw birds on and ended up with permission on the one I stopped to ask whos it was

Some people ask me how come i get all the land around yorkshire,iv'e just acquired a huge farm with 2 large woods and 500 acres of land prime pigeon shooting heaven.iv'e tallied 1,300 birds this harvest alone and can't wait for this winter to get going on the rape.

My experience on gaining permission is all about how you present yourself.if you turn up dressed head to toe in ex army combat gear gun over shoulder lurchers at your side youv'e already got your answer in my book.