FEO coming Monday, what should I expect?

dazbrit

The fireams officer is coming over on Monday morning, to see me, about my application for a .22 lr and a 22.250. I spoke to him, today, and he asked we what experience I've had with centrefire rifles and to get a letter of someone to say I have experience, safe shot etc. I have never applied for a firearms licence (had shotgun for 10 years, or so) as I've always gone out lamping etc. with friends and family who have one so never saw the need, but have know been employed as a keeper, on an estate, so now need them but was wondering what I should tell the FEO about my experience with centrefire. What I'm trying to say is, can I tell him I've shot rifles before? I don't want to jepordise my application or get someone in trouble, for shooting their rifle, if this is illegal as I'm not quite sure, plus what other questions should I expect to be asked and what else does it entail. I have my permission letters, cabinets etc. but just don't want it to go wrong. Probably worrying over nothing but just want to make sure everything is right. Thanks. Darren

If you have been shooting with someone on land that they have permission for then you can use their gun in their presence, it's called "the estate rifle rule" Google it and ask friends ,family, rfd'as and lastly the local licencing office (under a nom de plume) is you don't want to give your real name .

I had exactly the same with NWP. For my initial grant, they weren't happy with my 223 for fox, along with the 22LR. I used to have FAC, but it had been a long time ago (gave up all shooting after '97).

In my case, as I didn't have recent experience with CF rifles, they granted me the 22LR for pest and target (I'm a member of clubs), but the 223 for target initially, to be opened for pest control once some experience has been gained.

Working as a keeper you do need a decent centerfire as a working tool.

I would say that you have been out with friends and have used their rifles under their direct supervision.

The FEO is looking at you, are you mentally safe, what is your attitude to firearms and especially their safe use. Will you be a risk to the public, ie will you go shooting crows up trees. Bring the safety points up, land has nice safe backstops, ( hills !!, not trees !), safe and unsafe directions of fire, footpaths etc etc.

If he decides you present no risk he will grant you a closed certificate, this allows you to use the weapons he grants in the areas you have requested. he may well want to inspect the land himself in daylight.

Have to hand written permission from the landowner and/or shooting tenant that they are happy that you can have the calibers you want for vermin and fox control. There is another term these days for this, along the lines of all legal vermin.

Also have to hand a letter from anyone who rifle you have used in their company, ensure it mentions how safety conscious you are assuming this is the case, it is an offence to make a false statement in these matters.

If he suggests you are "mentored', ie overseen by an experienced firearms shot this is NOT within the firearms regs and in practise is a pain for all concerned, BASC recommend you to reject this as its just not convenient to get the mentor over when you find a fox in your pheasant pen one morning.

A

The fireams officer is coming over on Monday morning, to see me, about my application for a .22 lr and a 22.250. I spoke to him, today, and he asked we what experience I've had with centrefire rifles and to get a letter of someone to say I have experience, safe shot etc. I have never applied for a firearms licence (had shotgun for 10 years, or so) as I've always gone out lamping etc. with friends and family who have one so never saw the need, but have know been employed as a keeper, on an estate, so now need them but was wondering what I should tell the FEO about my experience with centrefire. What I'm trying to say is, can I tell him I've shot rifles before? I don't want to jepordise my application or get someone in trouble, for shooting their rifle, if this is illegal as I'm not quite sure, plus what other questions should I expect to be asked and what else does it entail. I have my permission letters, cabinets etc. but just don't want it to go wrong. Probably worrying over nothing but just want to make sure everything is right. Thanks. Darren

An important point is its just become "a tool of your work"- this is a big game changer in you favour, basically they are acting very foolishly if they refuse or give you a mentor condition. Speak to your shooting org. and under NO circumstance talk your application down as in court you will almost certainly win a full grant of an unmentored closed cert for the land in question. There is a stack of writen legislation covering such maters in your favour ( the FEO might not yet know this )

Working as a keeper you do need a decent centerfire as a working tool.

I would say that you have been out with friends and have used their rifles under their direct supervision.

The FEO is looking at you, are you mentally safe, what is your attitude to firearms and especially their safe use. Will you be a risk to the public, ie will you go shooting crows up trees. Bring the safety points up, land has nice safe backstops, ( hills !!, not trees !), safe and unsafe directions of fire, footpaths etc etc.

If he decides you present no risk he will grant you a closed certificate, this allows you to use the weapons he grants in the areas you have requested. he may well want to inspect the land himself in daylight.

Have to hand written permission from the landowner and/or shooting tenant that they are happy that you can have the calibers you want for vermin and fox control. There is another term these days for this, along the lines of all legal vermin.

Also have to hand a letter from anyone who rifle you have used in their company, ensure it mentions how safety conscious you are assuming this is the case, it is an offence to make a false statement in these matters.

If he suggests you are "mentored', ie overseen by an experienced firearms shot this is NOT within the firearms regs and in practise is a pain for all concerned, BASC recommend you to reject this as its just not convenient to get the mentor over when you find a fox in your pheasant pen one morning.

A

He should also have a risk assessment done that he works within already to cover all aspects mentioned under other laws right? FEO needs to tread with care I think

Edited by kent

Are you an NGO or BASC member? if not join online NOW! Then ring them first thing in the morning!

http://basc.org.uk/join-basc/£59for a gamekeeper.

+1 join basc, then ring them for advice on how to handle plod in your circumstances - remember you are dealing with an organisation that for the most of the time deals with the criminal fraternity and they may not be as straight forward in their dealings with you, as a decent member of society, as they should.

Edited by joecash