Our little rough shoot

Wildfowler12

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you finish the day in the cloud?

When I left you were at 1 snipe, shot by Todd, a good 30+ yards going away.

And 1 woodcock for Andrew (victorismyhero), his first one :good:

Andrewwoodcock_zpsbe078428.jpg

As you can see,the weather was a touch foggy, however the good lady provided some brownies to lift spirits :drool:

Sadly I had to leave early following a call from my boss requesting I cover a driver who phoned in sick :/ I thought I would only be covering a school run. However I ended up on a late finish.

This is how my days shooting finished.

Mydaysshooting_zps0255b594.jpg

Then 6 hours later, a well deserved pint :beer: and yes I did drive the bus in my shooting attire :D

It was little Indy's turn to be a pain in the backside today by working 30+yards ahead of where she should have been :mad::blush::mad: that said she did flush Todd's snipe and Andrews woodcock :yes:

We pretty much stopped when you left, as the fog was thicker still at Tyn-Rydd! Myself and Russ had a walk to the Eco-Warriors wood, and the dog proceeded to flush 6 pheasant, and 2 more woodcock from the pines. HOWEVER, we could hear that people where working in the turnip field, and given the fog, we weren't entirely sure where they were! So frustratingly, we slipped the guns and head home.

The highlight of the day was the brownies, many thanks to your good lady!

Edited by Wildfowler12

Bet you had some interested passengers driving like that.

Thanks for sorting the woodcock feathers. Going to make a nice broach.

Only 1 passenger passed comment and said she had never seen me looking so clean and tidy (usually covered in axil grease and engine oil after repairing the other drivers faux pas)

We pretty much stopped when you left, as the fog was thicker still at Tyn-Rydd! Myself and Russ had a walk to the Eco-Warriors wood, and the dog proceeded to flush 6 pheasant, and 2 more woodcock from the pines. HOWEVER, we could hear that people where working in the turnip field, and given the fog, we weren't entirely sure where they were! So frustratingly, we slipped the guns and head home.

The highlight of the day was the brownies, many thanks to your good lady!

Glad you liked the brownies. I have passed your kind comments on to Amy.

Yep, thanks again for sorting those feathers for me, and , echoing wildfowlers comments, many thanks to your good lady for the delicious brownies......

You're welcome Andrew. They are a nice momento of your first woodcock and by using the beak to hold the pin feathers also shows them off well.

I wish I'd have known how to do that for my first one, but I still have the feathers in my cap

Edited by shoot and be safe

How did you finish the day in the cloud?

When I left you were at 1 snipe, shot by Todd, a good 30+ yards going away.

And 1 woodcock for Andrew (victorismyhero), his first one :good:

Andrewwoodcock_zpsbe078428.jpg

As you can see,the weather was a touch foggy, however the good lady provided some brownies to lift spirits :drool:

Sadly I had to leave early following a call from my boss requesting I cover a driver who phoned in sick :/ I thought I would only be covering a school run. However I ended up on a late finish.

This is how my days shooting finished.

Mydaysshooting_zps0255b594.jpg

Then 6 hours later, a well deserved pint :beer: and yes I did drive the bus in my shooting attire :D

It was little Indy's turn to be a pain in the backside today by working 30+yards ahead of where she should have been :mad::blush::mad: that said she did flush Todd's snipe and Andrews woodcock :yes:

I will always think of you as "Blakey" from now on :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that every year I have have one of those 'perfect' days on our shoot, when the bag doesn't matter and it's just a pleasure to be out. Today was that day...

56B7FC0B-166A-4682-BA2A-B908777A5E06.jpg

0FF8BE12-9A55-4620-BC54-4E2B395DE4F9.jpg

B0E138C4-6D06-42EC-96E9-3271CB2524E6.jpg

C293F405-DE52-4C42-945C-132815856572.jpg

96B0DCC1-D63B-4131-89CC-8742E57F66C3.jpg

16714B6C-29D8-4917-BB02-F5FA35D93D22.jpg

2C5C6D62-DC52-4808-AC0E-69BF7AACB992.jpg

The fun lasted for 2 hours before the blizzards came and forced an early exit. Getting to the shoot was bad, but getting off it was terrifying!!

Edited by Wildfowler12

OH was going to the shoot on his own today, so he invited me to tag along for company. He was going mainly to areas of the shoot where I could take my Tramper Scooter and later maybe have a short walk with my trusty walking stick to another area. Logan my Red Setter has improved tremendously on his recall and has now started to do some retrieves and flushing, so it was a good time to take him as well. Last night he got some extra grooming and his coat really gleamed. I packed my bag and trusty Olympus camera ready for some action shots. Got a picnic ready and made sure all my waterproofs and Logan's coat were in the van last night.

We were up at 06:00 this morning and on the road for just after 07:00. :)

It was a bit drizzly on the way into Wales, but we had great hopes of it clearing later in the morning. Stopped at a garage and a 4x4 was parked on the forecourt. The owner of the 4x4 came out in his green wellies, tweed jacket, check shirt, tie and moleskin trousers. As he pulled away another vehicle pulled in and another chap dressed the same got out to fill up. It was obviously a popular garage for shooters.

As we drove into the hills it was a bit misty and still drizzling. A cavalcade of 4x4's crossed our path with the inevitable dogs in the back going another way. We were really looking forward to having a day out on the Welsh hills.

We parked up and had breakfast and the rain was slowing, but the mist was a bit thicker or was it my imagination. Took Logan for a trot along the track while we waited to see if it would clear. The rain had become a bit solid by then and the mist had become a fog and the visibility was shortening all the time as we sat there. Next minute it started to snow. OH sadly decided it was not safe to go shooting as the visibility was so bad and with snow starting we headed for home. :(

No shooting for OH. No photographs for me and no chance of trying Logan out on flushing and retrieving. Such is life. Maybe next time. :/

No shooting for OH. No photographs for me and no chance of trying Logan out on flushing and retrieving. Such is life. Maybe next time. :/

Sorry to hear this, I was only 10 miles east of you today and I did wonder if the rain we saw was likely to be white on the hill tops at Glyn.

Was there any snow left on the ground?