Middle of field hide tips

Mightymariner

As the title suggests, I am after advice about siting a hide in the middle of a field. The field is large, with flightline across middle, and although I could set up along a hedge, the wind may be in wrong direction for that to work, so thinking about a hide in the open. Done a couple of these in past, but usually at base of telegraph pole, this field has none.

So, any advice for making a hide that will hopefully work slap bang in the middle of the field. Field, by the way, has just been drilled with winter wheat.

Thanks in advance.

As the title suggests, I am after advice about siting a hide in the middle of a field. The field is large, with flightline across middle, and although I could set up along a hedge, the wind may be in wrong direction for that to work, so thinking about a hide in the open. Done a couple of these in past, but usually at base of telegraph pole, this field has none.

So, any advice for making a hide that will hopefully work slap bang in the middle of the field. Field, by the way, has just been drilled with winter wheat.

Thanks in advance.

Hides mid-field rarely work for me in Essex but the "Boys From Norfolk" say it's no problem up there, so you may be OK.All I can suggest is small is beautiful!

Edited by kitchrat

Shooting from field hides really is the norm here .

Keep it as small as you can without you feeling cramped , you need plenty of netting, make sure the back of the hide is well covered and high enough to be above head height when your sitting ( or standing if you shoot standing up )

Use plenty of poles and you may need some guy ropes if its windy

Most importantly keep still until the bird has committed or is in range and dont leave the hide unless you really need too.

Edited by fenboy

When I've set these up in the past on some difficult rape fields I've used a fishing brolly as the back by sticking the pole in the ground and tilting it fully backwards so I can stand with it at my back and put hide poles round the front and them drape camo net all round it you end up with a substantial hide you can stand in and shoot 180 degrees

Keep it as small as you can without you feeling cramped , you need plenty of netting, make sure the back of the hide is well covered and high enough to be above head height when your sitting ( or standing if you shoot standing up )

Most importantly keep still until the bird has committed or is in range and dont leave the hide unless you really need too.

As Fenboy said, plenty of netting, extra poles and guy ropes. Never had a problem with this and my advice would be to shoot sitting down so as your profile is low. Good luck

Big + 1

I like shooting from hides in the middle of a field as it can give the full 360 degrees to shoot. I shoot mostly standing up, but I don't build my hide any taller than what I am when sitting. Blend in if you can, but I don't think it's essential.

When I've set these up in the past on some difficult rape fields I've used a fishing brolly as the back by sticking the pole in the ground and tilting it fully backwards so I can stand with it at my back and put hide poles round the front and them drape camo net all round it you end up with a substantial hide you can stand in and shoot 180 degrees

:good::good::good:

I have used a brolly in the middle of a field for many ,many years with great success. When shooting the middle of a field I like to set up so that the wind is blowing from the right to left . I try to avoid sitting with my back to the wind on these occations . This is to stop the birds looking into the hide as they come in .

Brolly out in the middle of the field nets out the front and behind . Super way to shoot . Yesterday I picked up 67 shooting smack bang in the middle of a 120 acre field of barley stubble .

Harnser

As fenboy and numpty said it really isn't a problem shooting from the middle of a field. I always shoot sitting down when in the middle and have the hide slightly higher than my gun is tall with the back a foot or so higher. As motty said it is so much better to be able to shoot 360 degrees instead of 180 degrees when tucked in a hedge.

Well, after all that, I set up on the edge of the field below an ash tree!

Couldn't set up in middle as they were still working the field, and it was very sticky.

Still, loads of birds on field when I arrived, and if I hadn't shot like a muppet I would have shot easily 50/60. I bought a secondhand Silver Pigeon a while back but haven't been shooting well with it so far, main reason I think is the large recoil pad it has which makes it hard to mount the gun smoothly. I took my Winchester too, and ended up using both as I am more confident with the WInchester. Sure the 687 will be fine once I sort the pad out.

As it was I finished on 25, which was OK.

Nice to be out, and so warm.

well come to the Lincolnshire " bad lands " :lol:

I shot 40 + crows that day , and as you can see I was well out in the open , but its makes no real difference , just keep still and ONLY get out when you have to .

2014-09-17%2013.27.01.jpg?_subject_uid=8

Edited by stevo

• 2 weeks later...

My setup for middle of field is to first of all have a chat with the landownerand once have permission to do so is then to go out into middle of field and dig out a trench, pile all the soil that comes out the hole all the way around the edge so that you dont need to to dig down so far. but make sure you dig down far enough so that ya top of ya head is level with top of soil pile. Once hide is all done, set out all the decoys all around the trench hide. Works a treat for me down here in devon!!! On the plus side if you know the birds are going to continue to return to field and you have the landowners permission also to do so is to leave the hole in place in readyness for next outing, all i do when im finished for day is to remove all spent shells etc and then place a metal fencing rod on each corner of trench and wrap bright orange tape around each. Wouldnt very clever if landowner fell into hole or drove his landy into it lol!!!!

My setup for middle of field is to first of all have a chat with the landownerand once have permission to do so is then to go out into middle of field and dig out a trench, pile all the soil that comes out the hole all the way around the edge so that you dont need to to dig down so far. but make sure you dig down far enough so that ya top of ya head is level with top of soil pile. Once hide is all done, set out all the decoys all around the trench hide. Works a treat for me down here in devon!!! On the plus side if you know the birds are going to continue to return to field and you have the landowners permission also to do so is to leave the hole in place in readyness for next outing, all i do when im finished for day is to remove all spent shells etc and then place a metal fencing rod on each corner of trench and wrap bright orange tape around each. Wouldnt very clever if landowner fell into hole or drove his landy into it lol!!!!

sounds like hard work in the middle of summer you must be a badger hybrid or something

sounds like hard work but at least once its all done the next few visits will be light as all you need to carry is gun, carts and decoys!!! ive heard that you only get out of your sport what your prepared to put in.

I'm not prepared to dig fields up. A hide on top works for me.

on the rare times i have set up in a middle of a field..........i have found out it dont make any difference what cammo you use.......just "stickit up" and keep still until the last second...............

.........a thread was running a while ago on hides in fields etc........and some of them ...the guys had gone to a lot of trouble and they really blended in well.............but in my experience a little more than what was needed............enough cammo to hide your movement, that works for me........