Bulletproof Fox

Alpha Mule

Arrived at my local perm where I had a dog & vixen on following nights earlier in the year. It has passed sundown, but isn't dark-dark yet.

I decide to go chuck some cat food around and have a wee call. So I set up where I plan on standing in a gateway (poles, NV monicle, torches etc.) and cross the valley to set up the bait about 150 yards off. Just as I arrive at my 'kill zone' I have a quick flick of the torch over the next field over as I'm sure I saw a shadow move. Sure enough there is a big fox checking me out. So slowly, slowly up comes the rifle, the trudge across the field and up the hill has me breathing hard, but I manage to get a reasonable steady bead and have a gentle squeeze.

I saw the puff as the round hit him in the chest. I'm not sure if he just staggered, or dropped, but after a second, he got back up and legged it. I followed, and started searching around for him, right up until the calves decided to come hurtling over the field and chase me off.

I'm certain I hit him hard enough to do the job (80 yards off with a 22-250 in the chest), but I reckon the adrenaline kicked in and he managed to put a few good yards in before dropping, but I hate not being able to confirm.

I'll have a wander around in daylight and set up for next week to see if he comes back or his mate does.