Handler training

K.A.T.S

The best way to understand trials and subsequently gundog work is to see it first hand.

Look up the Kennel Club website for Gundog Clubs near you, contact secretaries and ask to spectate or help at trials. Find out where your local shoots are and offer your services as a beater (without a dog) to see how the dogs perform and what is involved.

But surely u will have to drive the 2hrs to drop the dog off and pick it up? Will u go and visit the dog while it's at training? Guessing a 3 month stint?

Combine each with a lesson, if ur going anyway (even if the first lesson is a demo with his own young dogs to show wot he is going to do and how). A 1-1 lesson every month or 2 is plenty esp if dog is already fully trained.

I'd say it would be a complete waste of time sending ur dog to trainer 'A' then getting lessons of trainer 'B'. It would be better than nothing but far better to continue to use the original trainer

Most trainers will have there own style/ways, in my opinion u'd get far more benefit and value for money training with the trainer who has trained ur dog atleast intially.

And they will know ur dog and know it's faults or bad habits, nature/or personality an tell u wot to watch for an any wee sign's/give aways it's got before the wheels fall off and wot needs to be watched/worked on

If u can afford to have it pro trained it would be worth ur while to commit that little bit extra time/desiel and do the job right and travel to them.

Come the spring i would try and get involved with some local training clubs etc, but its handy when u understand how to handle ur dog in private.

WGD is right about the local shoots but just don't be tempted to take ur dog along, and there is some truely terrible dogs on some shoots so just beware wot advice u listen too

• 2 weeks later...

WGD is bang on the money (as per usual) if i were you i would look at going to some trials and either spectating or offer to carry a game bag this way you are right at the front just behind the dog and handler and the judge too. Yesterday i paid to shoot as a gun on a trial it was a great experience and i learnt a heck of a lot from both the handlers and listening to the judges