Reel Line For Pike

wymberley

Has anyone heard of any club/association which stipulates the type and breaking strain for the line for pike fishing? It seems my shooting oppo has just had to fork out for some 50lb braided line for his grandson. I will just add that something may have got 'lost in the translation' and it is just possible that the braided might, just might, be a preference, but the 50lb is a definite.

Totally agree with fenboy, the PAC only advise 15lb minuimun but the mordern braids are excellent and thin in diameter. 50lb bs will cover everthing from large deadbaits to heavy lures and will last longer than mono.

Edited by aga man

50lb braid is a wise choice , it is still around the same diameter as 10lb mono , but will allow you pull out of any snags as in most cases when used with a decent B/S wire you will be able to straighten the hooks.

Makes perfect sense. I have a sneaking suspicion that I know which association it is and as I've just discovered, they stipulate a minimum of 15lb line and 30lb wire trace. Never mind snags, I reckon grandson has just twisted grandad around his little finger. :yes::lol:

The good thing with braid though is that it far outlasts mono, so works out cheaper in the long run.

Makes perfect sense. I have a sneaking suspicion that I know which association it is and as I've just discovered, they stipulate a minimum of 15lb line and 30lb wire trace. Never mind snags, I reckon grandson has just twisted grandad around his little finger. :yes::lol:

I buy my braid from the bay, and it comes from China. 500 metres for a £10, various breaking strains available. I am a full time time ghillie and was a bit wary of this cheap braid, but now after 2 seasons of using it, I can highly recommend it. Before I used braid costing £30 for 150 metres, and this stuff probably comes out same factory. :good:

I know quiet a few anglers that do the same and have no problems with the stuff. It's very much like Power Pro I believe.

I buy my braid from the bay, and it comes from China. 500 metres for a £10, various breaking strains available. I am a full time time ghillie and was a bit wary of this cheap braid, but now after 2 seasons of using it, I can highly recommend it. Before I used braid costing £30 for 150 metres, and this stuff probably comes out same factory. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using braided mainline for piking now for probably the last 8 years.

I find it has many more advantages over mono. As someone said it last longer, it's strength to diameter ratio is incredible, and I find it so much easier setting hooks when dead baiting as it has no stretch which is important especially at range.

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit I'm not the biggest fan of braided lines but if I did use them 50lb would be the optimum.

I still favour monofilament mainlines and use 12lb Maxima for all Spinning and lure work and 10 lb for deadbait fishing. I must stress though that its important to match the line BS to the casting weight and test curve of the rod. The majority of my pike fishing is done in snag free waters with through action rods of 1 3/4 to 2 lb test curve ,and Im not punching out big baits long distances. I've caught 100's of Pike up to mid 20,s over the years and never had any problems with crack offs or setting hooks. I do use slightly oversized totally barbless hooks and ensure they are honed to needle point sharpness. I normally change the hooks on a lure or spinner every trip and the line is used one season only.

I've seen some terrible damage inflicted using too strong lines matched with a telegraph pole of a rod.

Medium sized Pike 10 - 15lb range are great sport on lighter tackle. Last week I had a 14lb fish from the margin where I was just lifting the bait off the bottom and letting it sink again in 2ft of water under the rod tip. The pike hit the bait like a dry fly and broke the water surface like a trout...there was a pregnant pause while it realised it had been hooked and then a bit of head shaking and then when I wound down into it took off like a scolded cat.

Most of the bigger Pike I've caught have never put up much of a fight for some reason.

Most of the bigger Pike I've caught have never put up much of a fight for some reason.

Funny you say that, a 24 lb out of Markeaton Park lake just seem to give up as soon as it was hooked and came straight in. Yet as you say some around 10-15lb fight really well, specially from rivers.

I must admit I'm not the biggest fan of braided lines but if I did use them 50lb would be the optimum.

I still favour monofilament mainlines and use 12lb Maxima for all Spinning and lure work and 10 lb for deadbait fishing. I must stress though that its important to match the line BS to the casting weight and test curve of the rod. The majority of my pike fishing is done in snag free waters with through action rods of 1 3/4 to 2 lb test curve ,and Im not punching out big baits long distances. I've caught 100's of Pike up to mid 20,s over the years and never had any problems with crack offs or setting hooks. I do use slightly oversized totally barbless hooks and ensure they are honed to needle point sharpness. I normally change the hooks on a lure or spinner every trip and the line is used one season only.

I've seen some terrible damage inflicted using too strong lines matched with a telegraph pole of a rod.

Medium sized Pike 10 - 15lb range are great sport on lighter tackle. Last week I had a 14lb fish from the margin where I was just lifting the bait off the bottom and letting it sink again in 2ft of water under the rod tip. The pike hit the bait like a dry fly and broke the water surface like a trout...there was a pregnant pause while it realised it had been hooked and then a bit of head shaking and then when I wound down into it took off like a scolded cat.

Funny you say that, a 24 lb out of Markeaton Park lake just seem to give up as soon as it was hooked and came straight in. Yet as you say some around 10-15lb fight really well, specially from rivers.

I have found that aswell....maybe they know whats happening ??