Am fancying a Defender

SNS

Am thinking of getting a LR Defender as an Xmas present to myself. Will only really be used for shooting / fishing etc and unlikely to take it more than an hours drive from home.

Anyone got any nightmare stories of problems to dissuade me ? Or, alternatively anyone recommend any decent places to get one from ? Am hopeless with mechanical stuff so am thinking fairly new / warranty backed is the way forward- though I'd prefer to keep the bill to about £20k......

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had 5 in total over the years and each time they cost me a lot of my spare time and money but they were by far the best 4x4 I have driven off road but I got fed up with my last one in the end and I brought a l200 now had it for a year and it's been really good no money spent so far but I still love landys I just don't no what it is about them I can't hate them and no dowt I will get another one later on down the line.

I would advise you have a really good test drive in one as the driving position can be a bit cramped if I had that sort of money to spend I would get a new shape low mileage l200 as it would be a much more comfortable ride

Almost all I've ever driven are series or defenders, always 90's. Latest one cost 7k for a completely unmolested 14yr old 300 tdi. I spent around another 3k over 4 years sorting all the neglected bits and bringing everything up to proper standard, now its just a case of maintaining the usual wear and tear.

Mine is fully soundproofed, I find them comfortable and not too noisy, if a little draughty in places. The lack of room for your right arm is the main bug bear, and they're not that economical but not a lot worse than many of the other 4x4's. Very capable motors off road that has never let me down.

I'd look for one for about 10k on a galvanised chassais with a 200 TDI engine. Save some money for repairs or get some tools and learn to fix it yourself. Mines had a snapped timing belt and a clutch in the last 12 months, both where easy to repair. You can't beat driving them! Such a pleasure. Parts are cheap and you can run them on biodiesel to save a few more quid.

I have a 90 at the moment and love it. Before I had a 110 which was also great. I bought my 110 for about £7500 had it nearly four years, spent maybe a £500 on repairs and sold it with an extra 30000 miles on it for £6800 for a quick sale. You could say it cost me £1200 with repairs for 4 years motoring. If I had wanted I expect I could of good closer to what I paid but I wanted a quick sale. Very good to my mind.

I had an ex army rag top defender 90 diesel. It was totally rebuilt before I bought it with new galv chassis and lots of extras. It was matt camo paint so didn't need washing often. Used to swill the inside out with a hose and mop it to clean the inside of muddy dog prints. Used a disc lock on the steering wheel and it was alarmed.

Had it 10 years. Only reason I parted with her was I have got bad joints now and she didn't have power steering. Still miss her, but she went to a good home with a Landy enthusiast.

The only big expence I had in the 10 years was the tyres.

The prices are only going to stay where they are, with the plans of not making them any more.

I've had my 1990 90 8 years now, yes I've had problems with mine. £15 on a 200tdi of ebay which only lasted 30k miles :good:

I used to off road it a lot before taking up shooting so yes I did repair it a fair bit but it did take some hammering.

Would like a 110 just for that exra bit of room in the back. 25/30 mpg is about the same as most 4x4's.

Lock it up well, as I'm sure some w**ker will try nicking it.

Personaly I'd get a good recon galvanised 200/300 90/110 & keep the money in the bank.

It's a mixed bag with Defenders as you can see, personally I wouldn't touch an old TD5 or a new one either, the panels appear to be much thinner and I hate the thought of all that engine management.

I must be an odd shape, I drove mine recently from herts to north cheshire and found it perfectly comfortable, in fact, less aches than driving the wife's santa fe. I'm 6'1" and 16 stone, so not exactly a midget. The only thing I changed on my seating set up was to add a set of mud rails, raising the seat by 1" seems to give a much nicer position if your long legged and also allows the seat to travel further back. As for fuel economy, one way cost me thirty quid travelling at a steady 75mph most of the way there.

Iv got a td5, and iv been out in a 300tdi today for a couple of hours up the motorway then straight back in mine......

Both 90s

Td5 are much more refined if any defender can be called that,

Choose carefully and you'll get a good defender for £10,000. Or buy a soulless pickup and keep lusting after a defender.

You could get a brand new Great Wall for that sort of.............snigger, sorry couldn't keep a straight face

The only trouble with pickups, though I cannot ignore the practicality of them, is that they always look as if they should be hitched up to a caravan in a 'd'ya wanna boiy a daaag'? Sort of way, if you know what I mean?

How practical are they though? If you need to move a pallet of bricks or some bales of hay there great,

Dogs in the back, the back seats are normally where the guns are stacked up when people are shooting in them, seems a bit daft.

You would get far more vehicle for the money with a TD5 Discovery, just as capable, far more comfortable. Diesel autos with cruise are ideal.

I run a Defender at present, 160,000 miles, no real issues so far. Had to replace the rad as it rusted through recently. For the previous 20 years have run Discoveries, a far more comfortable steed and just as practical. BUT the 04- TD6 versions is a money pit and to be avoided.

A

Really helpful - thanks all. I get the point about a Disco, but the thing is if I wanted more comfort I would borrow the wife's Range Rover (which I will when shooting further afield), I'm just really fancying a Defender and so thought I'd give the chance for head to trump heart by conducting a poll of you guys as to your experiences / views etc

I've clearly got some swift work to do to research galvanised chassis and the other udeas

I really like the look of the 90's but can see that a 110 is probably a better all rounder

Thanks again !

Edited by SNS

You would get far more vehicle for the money with a TD5 Discovery, just as capable, far more comfortable. Diesel autos with cruise are ideal.

I run a Defender at present, 160,000 miles, no real issues so far. Had to replace the rad as it rusted through recently. For the previous 20 years have run Discoveries, a far more comfortable steed and just as practical. BUT the 04- TD6 versions is a money pit and to be avoided.

A

Wash your mouth out. The man was taking a proper Landrover.

Really helpful - thanks all. I get the point about a Disco, but the thing is if I wanted more comfort I would borrow the wife's Range Rover (which I will when shooting further afield), I'm just really fancying a Defender and so thought I'd give the chance for head to trump heart by conducting a poll of you guys as to your experiences / views etc

I've clearly got some swift work to do to research galvanised chassis and the other udeas

I really like the look of the 90's but can see that a 110 is probably a better all rounder

Thanks again !

Following this with interest as I have been toying with the idea of buying a 90 all year. Done tons of research and it's all pointing to a late 300 like a 1997. Been told to avoid those already fitted with steering guards, lifted suspension and the like and try to find a basic standard one without any "extras" etc. Low mileage is irrelevant apparently you just go on condition. I did start by looking at 110's but I own a van already so don't need another large vehicle and they don't quite have the ground clearance (or approach angle or whatever the technical term is) as a 90. There certainly is something about them I like although to be honest I still haven't driven one.

Following this with interest as I have been toying with the idea of buying a 90 all year. Done tons of research and it's all pointing to a late 300 like a 1997. Been told to avoid those already fitted with steering guards, lifted suspension and the like and try to find a basic standard one without any "extras" etc. Low mileage is irrelevant apparently you just go on condition. I did start by looking at 110's but I own a van already so don't need another large vehicle and they don't quite have the ground clearance (or approach angle or whatever the technical term is) as a 90. There certainly is something about them I like although to be honest I still haven't driven one.

dont be fooled by a 90 looking big,in the back theres not that much room.your right about a good late 300 though,theres a lot of land rovers with all the offroad gear on that hardly ever leave tarmac so dont right off the tricked up ones.your best bet is to go and have a good look round it,you'll be able to tell if its been knocked about underneath.

I picked up an approved used 90 with 8k on the clock (4yrs old) and it cost me £300 a month over 5 years, no balloon. It was a good deal.

I genuinely needed the upgrade though, so I've got a brand new 110 with all the kit for £200 a month with a balloon. It's nice to actually get one of these from new and then you don't have to worry about the servicing and fixing issues.