Springer off his dry food

birdsallpl

My springer has gone completly off his dry food. I changed the brand a couple of weeks ago because his usual brand wasn't in stock. He wouldn't touch it, so I have now got his usual brand again and he won't touch that either. We have often given him some meat left over from our meals mixed with his biscuits, he used to scoff the lot down but now picks it out and leaves the biscuit. He is obviously hungry because he hoovers anything up dropped in the kitchen. He will also eat any of his treats. I have tried taking his food up if he doesn't eat it and have stopped giving him any other food except his biscuit since Monday morning. I have come to the conclusion that he has been spoilt with being given some of our left overs and has now considered that the norm. It is two days now and I am worried how long I should push to try and get him to take the biscuit, (which he used to enjoy) he is perfectly normal in every other way, accept he may be drinking slightly more. He had his vaccine boosters and health check last Monday and the vet gave him a clean bill of health. I don't think the vaccines are the cause because he was off his biscuits before then. How long would you keep up the biscuit only regime before another visit to the vets. Or can you suggest anything else.

I used to feed my two spaniels working crunch mixed with tinned meat and rabbit. They ate it no bother and suddenly one day both of them sorted out the meat and left the biscuit. Next day it was the same thing. I looked at and smelt the biscuit to see if it had got contaminated or something was wrong with it. Couldn’t find anything wrong with it so I left it out for a few days and then tried it again. Neither of them would eat it and sorted it out from the meat. I gave the remainder of half a sack away to another dog owner to see if their dog ate it. The dog did eat it so it must have been my dogs that just went off of it. Must have been a case of >> Not baked beans on toast again. When you read the list of ingredients in most dog food you think what the hell is all that lot. EG -- X % of animal origin ? What is that? X% of vegetable origin? X% KIBBLE >> What is KIBBLE? I looked at different sacks of dog food and the price range is fantastic. So what junk is in the cheaper brands?

Didn't try the same stuff again as it might have been a whole sack that they wouldn't eat so I got them a sack of terrier meal which is the same as Winalot biscuit. This is mixed with the tinned meat ( Generally PAL multi pack variable flavours) and rabbit meat to give a variety of taste and texture. Also some left over vegetables. Touch wood that’s eaten up and gives a good end result. What about knocking up some oxo gravy and pouring that over the food. Might be worth a try to break up the monotony of the same old stuff. “ Oh no not sausage and chips again” If a crust of bread is put in the bowl that it the first thing that gets eaten every time. Strangely not all that keen on the rabbit. Looney, fussy, beastly spaniel.

ha ha , had to laugh,,

to the op,,

your dog has become spoilt with the food you have been giving him,i would certainly stop giving him treats but make sure he has plenty of water about, he will eat it when he is hungry ,

if when you put his food out and leave it for half hour , if he doesn,t eat it then remove the bowl of food, do not give the dog anything else, then at tea time put his food back down,if after half hour he refuses it again then remove it,and continue to put it back out at feed times,

I would personally try mixing some gravy in with it as already stated or mix a small amount of tinned meat in with it and see how that goes but I NEVER give my dog our food as it will get accustomed to it,,if after a couple of days he is refusing to eat the original dried food he usually ate then a trip back to the vets would be called for as it could be another problem,

good luck with it and hope you get it sorted

atb Evo

We feed our lot ad-lib dry food with a drop hopper. We do change the sort ocasionally, but stick within the Skinners field and trial range. They all get a spoon of cod liver oil twice a week and a denta stick in the morning. They get knuckle bones to keep their teeth clean too. We weigh them all regularly on a 20kg baby scales except the setter who gets weighed at the vets to keep a monitor on their weights.

They do get left over dinner but not much between the lot of them.

The only exception to this is our elderly papillion who stopped eating at 15 and went very frail and lost loads of weight. He would always eat a bit of our dinner, so after discussion with our vet we just made a bit more of our dinner for him and feed him seperatly. The slight imbalance in eating our food is better than starving to death our vet reckons. He is 17 now and still a happy chap. He does get the occasional bit of tinned cat food if we eat out or are having something really unsuitable.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Try soaking it in hot water? Change of texture might do the trick. What's his teeth like? Might be a problem there, got a tooth ache last thing you'd want is hard kibble.

Some dogs do go off their food for no reason, I'd look at it with three options:

1 change the food

2 add water or gravy

3 wait it out, he'll eat if hungry enough. Some people advocate a starve day here and there.

You have a clever dog birdsallpl. He is telling you that he prefers leftovers and meat to dry food and why not? Would you eat cardboard in preference to steak and kidney pie?

My Sprocker has been trying the same thing on with me and if I feed him wetted down dry food on its own he generally leaves it first time. He gets the same food at the next feed and the next until he eats it. I do want him to have some meat in his diet so I have a rule of one mixed meat and dry food/biscuits meal per week and no more.

Similar thoughts to my own JDog

No dog is going to starve itself to death if it has food available if its keen on it or not .

I too only give mine something extra once a week or so , usually some sardines / Tuna or a couple of eggs .

Of course if he has not eaten anything after two or three days then a trip to the vet may be a good idea to ensure there is not a underlying problem.

Thanks all, I will try the dry food again this morning and remove it if he doesn't eat it after 30 minutes. As this will then be 3 days. Tonight I will put a little gravy in with it, if he eats that at least I will know there's probably not much wrong with him and that he is just a stubborn little so and so.

We always wet the dried food for all our dogs the night before, in a tub.

Ours will eat their breakfast and dinner in around 30 seconds, so there's never any leaving the bowl out, I find this helps with portion control too.

Cheers

Hayden

The key there is dogs .

For a number of years I had a cocker , i would feed him once a day , his food would be eaten at any time over the following 24 hrs , he would have a little and leave some for later .

When I got a second dog that changed over night , the minute the bowl went down he would eat until it was empty .

When there are more than one dog involved they really dont like to give each other chance of nabbing their food.

Weigh some biscuit and put it down 24/7. Weigh it again next day to check if he has eaten any.Don't give him anything else to eat. Make sure he is drinking OK. Weigh your dog to check if he is losing weight. Also check his teeth to make sure he hasn't got any bad ones. Sometimes bad breath will show this even if you can't see it. If he starts to lose a lot of weight say more than 5% or look off colour or if he isn't eating within a couple of days take him to your vet. Make sure your OH is not feeding him extras as well.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Try soaking it in hot water? Change of texture might do the trick. What's his teeth like? Might be a problem there, got a tooth ache last thing you'd want is hard kibble.

Some dogs do go off their food for no reason, I'd look at it with three options:

1 change the food

2 add water or gravy

3 wait it out, he'll eat if hungry enough. Some people advocate a starve day here and there.

i had problems like this...many years ago...and discovered that all the dry biscuit needs to be soaked in hot water before hand ...as spaniels have a habit of gulping there food and "graizing" their throat and gut...then they go off their food...and drink a lot of water to sooth their throat and gut.......

when this happened the only thing they would touch is Chappie on its own..........

Edited by ditchman