Firearms and Terrorism - contd.

Kes

From a shooting Organisation - Not BASC.

Email received by me 10 mins ago. -

Your lobbying changes ACPO firearms licence campaign

Thank you for taking part in the online lobby on ACPO’s firearms licensing campaign. The good news is that as a result of your MP raising the issue, the Government and ACPO have set out a new approach which we can all support.

We had a helpful meeting in Downing Street to discuss the initiatives and especially the proposed Crimestoppers campaign, where it was acknowledged that there were various issues that needed to be addressed.

The ACPO lead on firearms licensing, Chief Constable Andy Marsh, and our Executive Chairman Barney White-Spunner have subsequently agreed a letter to all firearms licence holders. This informs them that there will no longer be a specific firearms licensing Crimestoppers hotline number, that presently there is no evidence of legal firearms users being involved in terrorism and that all the home visits to check firearms security will be largely intelligence led.

The full letter can be read here.

This simply would not have happened if you had not taken action and with 497 MPs receiving personal communications from their constituents in just 2 weeks we sent a message that could not be ignored.

Thank you so much for taking part in this campaign and we are really pleased to be able to report such a quick and positive response.

So to those who are so quick to rubbish genuine concerns - you are actually a minority and I hope somewhat endangered. - If I could find an ignore button, I would avoid any future posts of yours. My thanks to all those who, like Ack- Ack who wished to comment and to those who thought my leaving was grandstanding - you were mistaken. I leave you to it.

Kes.

Edited by Kes

Anyone with fac or sgc and was thought to be at risk of being a terrorist the ARVs would be parked at the door,every one goes through the interview and checks that has to be done,to try and get other fac and sgc holders to report them, we all have our own ways,but know where the line is

They had 30 years terrorism here and the police never had a similar policy. Probably because the realised that legally owned firearms were not a problem. I wonder why they feel the need to bring it in now in the rest of the UK. I think they can spin it whatever way they want its an unnecessary intrusion and focusing on the wrong people law abiding firearms owners.

Edited by ordnance

Phil

That link doesn't work for me, here is the text I sent my MP from the Countryside Alliance site;

Dear sir

As you may be aware the Association of Chief Police Officers' (ACPO) has launched a Crimestoppers campaign asking people to report signs of radicalisation, extremism and vulnerability to terrorism amongst firearms licence holders. ACPO has also asked police forces to carry out random unannounced security checks on gun owners.

There are nearly two million shotguns and firearms held under licence in England and Wales, of which just 415 were stolen in 2013, a figure that ACPO itself admits is a "tiny fraction of the number of lawfully held guns". The number of lost and stolen guns is also falling. Legitimate gun owners are always ready to support sensible, evidence based proposals to improve firearm licensing and security. For instance we fully support changes to the Home Office guidance on unannounced checks on licence holders based on specific intelligence on risk. The public appeal for information about certificate holders through Crimestoppers, however, will only encourage malicious complaints and the link made with radicalisation and terrorism is insulting and ridiculous. There has not been a single recent incident in which a licence holder has misused a firearm in pursuit of an extremist agenda. Carrying out random unannounced visits on licence holders will also cause concern and confusion amongst gun owners, without any evidence either that there is a problem, or that such visits will impact on the number of guns stolen or lost. This campaign is unjustified and ill-judged, and it will serve only to waste police resources and alienate a large and law abiding section of the community.

As my MP, I would be grateful if you could write to the Home Secretary, Theresa May MP, to raise my concerns directly, and so that the Home Office may then raise the issue with ACPO.

Yours sincerely,

I received a reply informing mne that he was passing my letter on to the Home Secretary.

Phil

That link doesn't work for me, here is the text I sent my MP from the Countryside Alliance site;

Dear sir

As you may be aware the Association of Chief Police Officers' (ACPO) has launched a Crimestoppers campaign asking people to report signs of radicalisation, extremism and vulnerability to terrorism amongst firearms licence holders. ACPO has also asked police forces to carry out random unannounced security checks on gun owners.

There are nearly two million shotguns and firearms held under licence in England and Wales, of which just 415 were stolen in 2013, a figure that ACPO itself admits is a "tiny fraction of the number of lawfully held guns". The number of lost and stolen guns is also falling. Legitimate gun owners are always ready to support sensible, evidence based proposals to improve firearm licensing and security. For instance we fully support changes to the Home Office guidance on unannounced checks on licence holders based on specific intelligence on risk. The public appeal for information about certificate holders through Crimestoppers, however, will only encourage malicious complaints and the link made with radicalisation and terrorism is insulting and ridiculous. There has not been a single recent incident in which a licence holder has misused a firearm in pursuit of an extremist agenda. Carrying out random unannounced visits on licence holders will also cause concern and confusion amongst gun owners, without any evidence either that there is a problem, or that such visits will impact on the number of guns stolen or lost. This campaign is unjustified and ill-judged, and it will serve only to waste police resources and alienate a large and law abiding section of the community.

As my MP, I would be grateful if you could write to the Home Secretary, Theresa May MP, to raise my concerns directly, and so that the Home Office may then raise the issue with ACPO.

Yours sincerely,

I received a reply informing mne that he was passing my letter on to the Home Secretary.

Thanks, Dave - it's as per the link.

BASC are now full of themselves

http://basc.org.uk/blog/press-releases/latest-news/basc-welcomes-end-to-use-of-crimestoppers-line-for-firearms-security/

Of course the Countryside Aliance did all the work to stop this latest infringement of our rights. I was a member of BASC for about a year, glad I didn't renew.

It would have been 'sporting' if they'd have had the decency to acknowledge the effort of the CA.

I'd be interested to hear what they had to say - would you be willing to share the message?

Yes

Dear Mr

Thank you for your recent email regarding ACPO’s firearms campaign.

I am sure you appreciate that these are very sensitive times when it comes to terrorism and there is huge sensitivity about gun ownership and security, which

particularly comes to light whenever there is a tragedy. This is not to criminalise the gun-owing community, or even to suggest they are irresponsible, but reflects very

real public concerns about the risks of weapons falling into the wrong hands whether as a result of loss or theft or of a change in behaviour by a current license holder.

I understand the motivation for setting up the new Crimestoppers helpline is to offer a clear channel for the public, including the shooting community, to assist the Police

with intelligence gathering. If someone who legally holds arms displays behaviours which are out of the ordinary in a way that raises concern, then it is important that

this information is fed through to the relevant authorities. I am sure all efforts will be made to ensure that intelligence is appropriately corroborated before it is acted upon.

As you request, I will write to the Home Secretary with your concerns and will revert to you again when I have received a response. Thank you again for contacting me.

Yours sincerely

Edited by HDAV