TX200HC 177 FAC ?

Daz Harrison

There are quite a few over here, but most seem to be around 14-15ftlbs mark. Apparently pellets lose their flight stability if they aren't heavy enough to cope with the guns power, and there aren't that many choices when it comes to heavyweight .177's. I'm guessing that 14-15ftlbs is the sweet spot where a good compromise can be had between accuracy and power.

I had one years ago, a tx200 mk1 in .177, was more or less bang on 14ft lbs using rows superdomes, was super accurate and recoil no different to a standard one I'd say, my old shooting partner had a standard mk1 also in .177 and the difference between the 2 performance wise was definitely noticeable. Regreted selling it ever since!

• 2 weeks later...

I am losing the will to live , in that case refer to post 7 .

18 ft / lb will give you little in the way of extra range in a 177 spring gun , if you are hell bent on getting FAC air then buy a .22 preferably in PCP

If you insist on having a spring gun flog the tx and buy a HW80 in .22 it is about the only gun that can be tuned to 16 ft / lb or so without turning into a dog to shoot.

A 12ft / lb gun in .177 is ample around farm buildings .

There is no bigger fan of spring guns than me , but for FAC a pcp is the way to go.

I am losing the will to live , in that case refer to post 7 .

18 ft / lb will give you little in the way of extra range in a 177 spring gun , if you are hell bent on getting FAC air then buy a .22 preferably in PCP

If you insist on having a spring gun flog the tx and buy a HW80 in .22 it is about the only gun that can be tuned to 16 ft / lb or so without turning into a dog to shoot.

A 12ft / lb gun in .177 is ample around farm buildings .

There is no bigger fan of spring guns than me , but for FAC a pcp is the way to go.

Stu please do not feel the NEED to reply, i do not want you to "loose the will to live", im sure i will find my answers from equally experienced shooters

Edited by Daz Harrison

I used to own a .22 TX200 in FAC. I recall it did around 16/17 foot pounds and added about 10 extra yards range compared to a 12fp one. With airguns it's all about the trajectory curve and the extra foot poundage just straightened that out a little. Wouldn't want one in 177 though as you might as well have the extra wallop of the bigger pellet, IMO.

Daz, can I just say Fenboy is totally correct mate,

a sub 12ftlb air rifle/springer is perfect around the farm and even better if its a pcp, increasing the power would only increase the risk of over penetration , if you want an FAC air rifle then .22 or .25 is the way to go,

also can I say there are some cracking rifles out there in FAC.22 and cheaper than sub 12ftlb even for the same model, to use around farm buildings I would stick with a .177 sub 12 as the last thing you want is the farm building roof looking like the end of a pepper pot,

good luck with whatever you choose but have a look at the Huntsman Classic in FAC second hand running at 30ftlb, excellent rifle and you should be able to get one half the price of a new one due to it being FAC, I saw one at the game fair for £350, an older model yes but in superb condition,

stick to sub 12ftlb .177 or move to .22 fac as fenboy has pointed out,

ps,,don't worry about him he always loses the will to live but he,s still here fighting away :lol::lol: :lol:

atb Evo