9mm garden gun!?

chris31

I'm thinking of buying one of these as always fancied one, would only use it on close range rats etc.. I've never had anything to do with one and wondered what peoples opinions of them were and if they actually have the ability for humane dispatch close range. I have a couple of .410s air rifles etc.. for the job, just considering one as a bit of a toy!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - a barn gun. More chance of getting a rat than with an air rifle but not going to punch holes in cladding. Also good for birds in the rafters too.

Then again of course there is always .22 rat shot if we want to get really silly...............................

There has to be a market in order for a firm to make these. I guess they are just another tool in the box, just like a craftsman needs more than one chisel.

and if they actually have the ability for humane dispatch close range

I have a couple of these old (pre WW2) 9 mm Flobert garden guns. Using the double shot cartridges I wouldn't use them for humane dispatch, unless it's on animals not bigger than a rabbit and at point blank range.

But, if you can use 9 mm Flobert BB or CB cartridges (think they will need a FAC in the UK ) then it's a different ball game.

This afternoon I have taken some shots using BB cartridges, shooting from 5 meters at a piece of 2,5 cm ( 1inch) pine and it complete passed through, ripping shreds out and flattening it self completely in the steel backstop.

To be honest I hadn't expected that kind of power coming out of the little garden gun :good: Using one of these would kill a fox instantly when trapped.

20130808_110643.jpg?template=generic

The 9 MM BB & CB cartridges are the ones in the middle.

My mate uses a garden gun for ratting round the farm. The only problem we found was when shooting rats off roof beams he was blowing holes through the asbestos roof sheets, it's deadly on running rats. We looked at the semi auto version but to much money for rats. The best thing about it is it doesn't blow holes into the water pipes like the 410 does

i disagree with some of the comments about garden guns, ive used one for years to kill rats in my ornamental waterfowl pens, they are very effective with the 9mm flobert cartriges loaded with 7 shot, i also use it for dispatching foxes in wires, the maximum range my webley is effective on rats is 12 yards, after that i get alot of wounding, the only thing i would say is a problem is getting the ammo, its a pity its a rim fire as i would love to be able to reload the brass

I have a little 5 shot semi auto garden gun

It really is ideal when a .410 would be too much, think rats round the chicken coop etc

Do you have to have that on FAC , I nearly bought a semi auto 9mm before I bought this single shot one but it was an 8 shot magazine on it so it would have had to been transferred to my FAC which would have been OK thinking back as could have bought the cb and Bb caps too .

I think it was made by Anschutz .

Any photos and details of yours ?

No, it's not mine, I borrowed that one from the web :whistling:

I had one made by Mariocchi, but I swapped it for a old .410 poachers gun. that would fit in better with my collection of old garden / poachers guns. It never gave me trouble using Fiocchi cartridges # 10 and # 8 shot.

They are still around, see them quite frequently on Egun Germany. You need a FAC to buy them. Most are having five shot magazines, just like the Gaucher bolt action.

There's also one made by Bernadelli in Italy (most garden guns are made in Italy, France or nowadays Turkey) They used them a lot for hunting small birds in season (don't know if that's still legal ?)

Also a 5 shot semi auto

bernardelli%20fusil%20illustration-03.jp

That's exactly like mine, also have one of these to be really silly.