seen any?

Underdog

there was a time you could set your clock by them...............they would start flying in over the norfolk coast on the first full moon in september................

Cant say I have seen Woodcock that early , but that well might have been the case as each year they seem to get here later and later . We always said they came over the North sea on the November full moon . Also a lot of guns are less keen to shoot them nowadays , maybe its because if they are hanging up in the game larder they are counted in the days bag and charged the same price as the Partridges and Pheasants . or some of the older ones think they have shot enough and are happy just to see them flying about .

There is a survey under way that has been going on for a few years ...and that is the RSPB or whatever have been measuring the lenght of the beaks of woodcock, and it appears they are getting shorter....they think this reflects the climate and thus the change in geography of the breeding areas in scandinavia ...as the areas are slowly drying out............

when the woocock get here i can assure you there is no shortage of them....i know and have been on shoots where they expect to get 20-30 brace......just a mile away on a shoot i was on 6 years ago with 2 friends and the rest of the guns...they witnessed me shoot 2 left and rights one after the other of woodcock...on a drive thro the carrs..(wetland)............and thats no big deal............it wasnt that long ago on an estate near Beccles...they "drive" woodcock...........yes you can drive woodcock !!

Usually see one a year at my place and I wouldn't raise a gun to one anyway, just my personal preference.

Are you likely to hit one with a flintlock? I would think they were a bit too fast in flight.

Besides the point but the Fieldfares have arrived.

Yes seen the field fares mate.

Woodcock with flint! No problem lol.flinchlock003_zpsc3fd9325.jpg

(Not easy)

U.

Some people claim to have seen Woodcock carrying there young on there backs , how true that is I don't know but if anyone could take a film of it I am sure a lot of country folk would love to see it.

I have seen wounded Woodcock fanning there tail out to make themselves look bigger ( or that's why I think they do it )

We did get one with a ring on its leg two years ago , and when I got the information back it was rung the year before in Suffolk which was only 12 miles away from where it was shot , so I often wonder if they are like Swallows and come back to the same place each year.

One thing for certain is we will never know everything about this fascinating bird , and I now only shoot one each season and I know one day that will be my last one .

Some people claim to have seen Woodcock carrying there young on there backs , how true that is I don't know but if anyone could take a film of it I am sure a lot of country folk would love to see it.

I have seen wounded Woodcock fanning there tail out to make themselves look bigger ( or that's why I think they do it )

We did get one with a ring on its leg two years ago , and when I got the information back it was rung the year before in Suffolk which was only 12 miles away from where it was shot , so I often wonder if they are like Swallows and come back to the same place each year.

One thing for certain is we will never know everything about this fascinating bird , and I now only shoot one each season and I know one day that will be my last one .

Very modest sir :-).

I understood they can carry their young but between their legs!

My old keeper friend of mine has seen it, he is a honest gent and do not doubt him ever!

U.