distance

pigeonslayer15

the "eleys shooters diary"....is resonsible for starting the rot in many a promising shooters brain............................read it at your peril !!!

The diary was written by a statician who's brother is an accountant.................it is 100% accuarate and 100% usless...

a stick and practice is the bees knees.....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can shoot pigeons at sixty yards consistently, then make a video. I'd like to see it.

I'd pay to watch someone do that. Hitting a bird at 60 yards and killing it are two entirely different matters. The further you knock them down at the more time you'll spend finishing them off. Sixty yards is a long way. :yes:

Edited by Hamster

been out today shooting rifle at tarian marks at 60 to 120 yards with use of the rangefinder just getting used to the new rifle. 60 yards when measured is some distance, i shoot pigeon quite often ( should i say i shoot at them ha, ha ) and that 60 yard distance might as well be shoting at the moon for me. if you can do it consistantly and humanely must be a wonderful thing. seen one of my shooting buddies hit some birds far out clean kills and ive often said to him "did not know shot would go that far"

on the "distance" thing,..................cut yourself 3 or 4 sticks and put them in the ground within your shooting zone ...and pace them out at 20-30-40-and 60 paces.......i rekon you will find most of your birds shot are at 20 to 40 paces....(shot ! not where they fall)

i used to do quite a bit of fly fishing years ago on reservoirs and streams.........and much of the talk in the clubhouse was about flylines and the distance you needed to "thrash them out to.....everybody rekoned the further you could cast the more fish you could get !!!!

the fact still remains that most fish are caught within 10 yds of the boat

Exactly, hitting and picking up distances are two different things - otherwise I could claim that I shot a goose at over 1/2 a mile last week....!!

I am among those that think a lot of shooters cannot judge distances.

Distance is also harder to judge when the target is in the air.

Putting sticks out at distance with a decoy layout can be very educational and I advise all new decoyers to do it.

Also, shooting distance is not where the bird falls (as has been said), unless it was sitting on the ground.

Most of my birds are shot within 40 yards, but I do take a number of higher birds, especially rooks/crows and when using my sbs, with the 3/4 choke back barrel.

When I set up I put a lone deek at 40 paces as a reference to size. I find it helpfull in judging birds in flight. But still find it hard to hit as have to give so much lead. Prefer to kill clean and closer.

thats good standard advice for every would be pigeonshooter... :good:

60 yards?

Whatever degree of choke you choose ( or more often than not, think you've chosen), at 60 yards the number of pellets in the 30" circle will be approximately 45% of the number which would be provided by the actual choke performance at 40 yards.

A trial was carried out by the American Bureau of Sport, Fisheries and Wildlife whereby no fewer than 2010 mallard on a guided flightpath were shot by an automatic electronically controlled gun designed to ensure that each target was placed centrally in the shot pattern. The terminal ballistic effects were broken down into 4 categories from instant death to survival. Two sizes of lead shot were used for comparison purposes and the following result relate to the size which performed the best. At 30 yards for the side on shots, 95% were instantly killed. At 60 yards, the figure was 24% (this dropped to 13% at 65 yards). They then looked at what was considered to be baggable birds which was categorised by death within 5 minutes and a broken wing. This produced a figure of approximately 38% for the 60 and similarly,28% for the 65 yards. Those alive after 10 days were painlessly killed. Naturally, by changing the shot size to cater for discrepancy in target area together with an associated reduced energy requirement, it is perfectly possible to directly correlate the results to a pigeon.

Questions for the 60 yard shooters:

Are you sure that your 60 yards is not in fact 70 yards?

Can you place each and every shot as described above?

What happens to those that you shot which weren't baggable?

60 yards?

Whatever degree of choke you choose ( or more often than not, think you've chosen), at 60 yards the number of pellets in the 30" circle will be approximately 45% of the number which would be provided by the actual choke performance at 40 yards.

A trial was carried out by the American Bureau of Sport, Fisheries and Wildlife whereby no fewer than 2010 mallard on a guided flightpath were shot by an automatic electronically controlled gun designed to ensure that each target was placed centrally in the shot pattern. The terminal ballistic effects were broken down into 4 categories from instant death to survival. Two sizes of lead shot were used for comparison purposes and the following result relate to the size which performed the best. At 30 yards for the side on shots, 95% were instantly killed. At 60 yards, the figure was 24% (this dropped to 13% at 65 yards). They then looked at what was considered to be baggable birds which was categorised by death within 5 minutes and a broken wing. This produced a figure of approximately 38% for the 60 and similarly,28% for the 65 yards. Those alive after 10 days were painlessly killed. Naturally, by changing the shot size to cater for discrepancy in target area together with an associated reduced energy requirement, it is perfectly possible to directly correlate the results to a pigeon.

Questions for the 60 yard shooters:

Are you sure that your 60 yards is not in fact 70 yards?

Can you place each and every shot as described above?

What happens to those that you shot which weren't baggable?

I would guess exactly the same as those that are pricked at 20 yards , they fly away and die , not the outcome we desire but it happens .

It is difficult to make any reasonable comparison , to get a SGC you do not need to prove you are a reasonable shot , and some will ***** as many at 20 yards as a top shot might at 60.

By the way where do I buy one of the automated guns that centre every bird in the centre of the pattern , I want to set one up on the farmers rape , will save me sitting out freezing my nuts off.

I would guess exactly the same as those that are pricked at 20 yards , they fly away and die , not the outcome we desire but it happens .

It is difficult to make any reasonable comparison , to get a SGC you do not need to prove you are a reasonable shot , and some will ***** as many at 20 yards as a top shot might at 60.

By the way where do I buy one of the automated guns that centre every bird in the centre of the pattern , I want to set one up on the farmers rape , will save me sitting out freezing my nuts off.

I would love one of those for the geese on the marsh.

When shooting grouse, I always put a walking stick at 70ish (approx. 60yrds) out the front of the grouse butt. It serves as a marker to help pick up birds when things get hot. It isn't a shot distance, but if I don't see them at 60, the ******* are on me and gone past by the time I have my gun mounted!!

For pigeons, I do similar but have a square of 4 sticks, marking out a killing square, approx 15 to 35yrds from the hide. It is less useful though as thr Grey Devils tend to appear from all directions when they are coming in well!

As for distance, people often judge it well, but cannot put a number to it. For example, I can visualise the max distance I am happy to cleanly kill crossers - and the required lead. However, I couldn't put an accurate number to the distances - I just know when it feels and looks right to me.