.25 air rifles at 12 ftlbs

lee m

.25 isn't much good for anything but close ranges really as the pellet weight and low velocity will give a very loopy trajectory.

In physics energy is equal to 1/2 mass x velocity squared so muzzle energy of 12 ft lb is dependent on both the mass and velocity - when one goes up the other must go down. Heavy pellets will have to travel slower so the time taken to reach the target will increase, this means there is more time for gravity to effect the trajectory.

I have a BSA Supersport carabine in .25 doing around the 10.5 / 11fpe. Using Norica, BSA and Marksman pellets (these weight 18 / 19 grains) I'm getting good accuracy when I keep my shots below the 25 yards mark. It's the gun I use most around my house.

Great on shooting rats and feral pigeons :good:

Measurement of fpe : velocity x velocity x weight of pellet divided by 450240 = fpe eg 525 fps x 525 fps x 18 grain (weight of pellet ) : 450240 = 11.019....

i think i can just about understand that, thank you. im no expert but am i right in saying that it is velocity that counts when hunting with air rifles, i came to this conclusion when i found that i could get more consistant kills with faster pellets, i noticed a hell of a difference when i changed to shooting .20 from .22 15 years ago, also why does pcp air rifles seem to fire pellets faster than sringers? i have

done a hell of an amount of shooting all my life and cant work out if this is all in my head!