rust/repair /fillers etc

darren m

rust

what are the best rust remedies or convertors to use.

does painting red oxide or zinc oxide direct on to rust work or is there some other prep needed

is there any product you can use even if its damp ie this time of year

fillers

do these strong as steel fillers on the market actually work , I need to cure the rust and fill a hole in a rear door sill where water as been gathering , any suggestions, best methods etc

thanks chaps

depends really, can you remove the surface rust easily enough on all sides? I've done a few repairs over the years with varying levels of success, hammerite rust cure works if you can cover all the rust, so not good on boxed sections like sills, also try a zinc phosphate paint which worked really well on blistered paint bubbles, still had to grind out the loose stuff first though and then respray.

Dont bother with any of the oxides they are **** paint nowadays, get a wirewheel on an angle grinder and clean area up as best you can splash a bit of jenolite on and then cover with a decent paint like a Zinc Phosphate primer.

And it will still come back through, either cut it out completely or just bodge over it every other month. I know what I would do.

Edited by Luckyshot

• 3 weeks later...

my job is corrosion protection [bLASTER SPRAYER} on gas lines fuel lines. on and of sure we have a filler at work goes straight over the worst wet scale rust and is a permanent fix only down side is the price £300 for 1/2 a kilo it also can be mixed and lathed machined in to a part ace on head bolt thread repair etc

Over the years I had "classics" (rusty piles of ****), I tried lots of converters and oxides - none of them are a permanent repair, as said above (cut and weld for that) but I got the best (longest lasting) results using products by Bilt Hamber. From memory there's a solution you make up that you can soak smaller parts in and the rust is broken down and removed (not converted). I think it was also available as a paint on/wash off gel for panels, and they do a paint on converter as well. I've not mucked about with rusty stuff for a while so don't even know if any of this is still available (usually, if something is any good the EU ban it !). It definitely wasn't cheap, I remember that !

I think it all depends on how much the car/truck is worth do you plan on keeping it for long if its a quick fix on a cheep car/truck paint the rust with some rust inhibitor and cover it with some gaffer tape will not look good but it will keep the water out until you ether get another car/truck or can afford to have the rust cut out and new metal welded in fillers only tend to last a few months.