AYA side lock 12g advice

Jay_Russell

Hi guys bit of stab in the dark, today i had friend take me out for a little rough shooting. I used his old AYA 12g sidelock ejector double trigger sbs. I shot well with it and ive now been asked if i would like to buy it.

thing is its been handed down to him and hes not sure which model it is.

As i said 12g sbs sidelock ejector, lovely stock if a little short, lovely engraving and it has that lovely hardening colour. He thinks its late 1960's.

anyway i can find out which model it is and its approx value? I should of taken a few pics!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hes asking 800 quid so i thought id better make sure its worth it. 100 quid id of just bought it..

Because of its outstanding condition (there's some photos on here somewhere) and for someone who knows what they're buying, then I figure my XXV boxlock of 1964 is worth somewhere about that figure, but I emphasize that the condition truly is as stated. Therefore, a sidelock provided it's in good nick,just has to be worth it and possibly somewhat more dependent upon the model. Can you recall if the locks were hand detachable?

It will have a little lever on the side plate, how long are the barrels is they are 25" it may well be an xxv (aya 25) but may also not be , could be a no2 if you google both of those then match up the look of yours hopefully you will find out, let us know £800 is a great price for either of the two guns mentioned

Edited by sishyplops

A bit like this one then?

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=A1214+++1406+&refno=+++82222&saletype=

The figure of £600 - £800 is what the auctioneers think the hammer price will be. With Holt's the lower figure is probably the reserve. Any purchaser will have to pay a buyer's premium of 25% on top of the hammer price.

That example looks to be in good condition, and of course coming from Holt's you know it's in proof. Just before the auction they publish proof dimensions and wall thicknesses, which helps establish how much life may be left in the barrels. If you can borrow the one you're interested in you could take it to a proper gunsmith and get him to measure it up and check its general condition. A gun of this age and type is more susceptible to rust in the bores if not looked after.The bores should be spotless, of course. If at any time it has been pitted and had that pitting removed then it could be out of proof. A good gunsmith will also tell you if the action is good and tight, and if a sloppy action has been bodged (forend iron clobbered or lump clobbered) to make it feel tight temporarily. A loose stock can be a sign of trouble.

An AYA sidelock is indeed a nice weapon; having said that it's a bit of an eye-opener with these to take a lock out and look at in direct comparison to the lock of a Holland & Holland sidelock, upon which the AYA is said to be based. If you do manage to do that compare the engraving, too. At any rate they always were (and still are) exceptional value for money, so much so that in my humble opinion the AYA range of side-by-side shotguns signed the death warrant for Webley & Scott among others quite soon after ASI introduced them. I remember reading Shooting Times back then and marvelling at the low cost.

A good example shoots well and handles well. A mate of mine has just bought one.

Edited by CharlesP

Well i had a very quick reply from AYA its a 1972 xxv/sl which means its a 25 sidelock. So is it worth the 800 quid?

Be surprised if there's no "little lever".

As you shot well with it - confidence is all - I wouldn't worry too much about the chokes but it might pay to get them checked (1/4 by 1/2 is the norm) while the GUNSMITH is checking it over and doing the firing pins. If all is well, then if you pay the money quoted when that work is done, you've got yourself a 'keeper'.

However, just to come back to the chokes: Around about the time that the gun would have hit the market place - if not shortly after - light choking became the vogue and many game guns were opened up - TC by !mp not being uncommon. You don't say what it is you were shooting with success, but from experience, these barrels do not perform well at the very open end as above. Fine if you're shooting pheasant at the heights normal at that time but if you take it to a pigeon hide you will in all probability have a problem. By the sound of it, all is well but it is something to bear in mind.

Your answer, in short, is yes.

Thank you for the advice, im starting to think it did have the little lever there i just didnt pay any attention. I would use it mainly for a small driven syndicate im joining next season. No real prospect of high birds there, besides i believe in the sporting shot so i wouldnt even attempt them anyway. I really like the idea of traditional game shooting hence my consideration of this gun.

Heres the link aya sent me

http://www.aya-fineguns.com/detalles_en.php?wgo=62&wval=41&main=PROGRAM

Hes happy for me to get the gun checked out at a gunsmiths before i pay a penny so i cant really go wrong. :)

I would not worry to much about the chokes I shoot a TC Imp Cyl Westley Richards quite often and have no issue in the hide or game shooting, the pattern is key and some cartridges will pattern tight than others in your gun.

Yep, but what length barrels? I opened up the identical gun but just 3 years younger to that of the one in question. Unfortunately, the gun shop made an absolute mess of the job - craters of the moon spring to mind! I had it properly corrected by a true 'smith but in doing so it ended up TC by barely Imp. I tried as many different cartridges that I could lay my hands on but the best I could get was 35% by TC.

condition is everything

pay a decent gunsmith to fully appraise it, barrel thickness, choke, bore evaluation, check stocks for hairline cracks etc etc

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/results.php?&Filter%5BNewType%5D%5B%5D=Shotgun&Filter%5BNewMechanism%5D%5B%5D=Side+by+Side&Filter%5BCalibre%5D%5B%5D=12+gauge&skipNo=0&sortField=Make&sortOrder=asc&perPage=1087

plenty here to compare with and all are well over your friend's requested price

AyA's are good guns. I use one regularly. But, make sure you are happy with 25" barrels - as they are not everyone's 'cup of tea'. I would be inclined to see if you can try a 28" before you buy. 25" have limited appeal (also being rather 'out of fashion' at present) and if you do wish to move on will not part exchange as well as longer barrels.

I've got a couple of ugartechea side by sides with 28" barrels if you want to try one , South norfolk near diss , AYA xxv are nice but very short , I would think if your shooting locally it will be ok , anything with a bit of height may well prove difficult though, I would make sure it's got some choke as others have said, my willly is

longer than that ! Well that's what I told the missus lol

The AYA is a well respected gun in the uk, but ugartechea is well respected in the USA but not so common here, you can have my sidelock 28" for £400 £ the boxlock for £125 two guns for less than the price of one

Just a thought, your still more than welcome to try one just to check out the barrel length and how it feels

Edited by sishyplops

Did the OP right at the off not say that he shot well with it? I'm assuming by that that he was well pleased.

Indeed he did, but I still feel it would be wise for him to try different barrel lengths (if he hasn't already) because as stated, 25" isn't everyone's choice. It wasn't clear if the OP was an experienced shooter, used to a s/s or o/u, or a relative novice. 25" works well for some people and I have a friend who shoots very well with a 25", but I know several people who have tried and found it didn't suit them as well as longer barrels