AYA side lock 12g advice

Jay_Russell

Thank you for the kind offer. Im just comming back into the sport after 15 years or so. Ive shot a few different sbs's over the years and to be honest i hadnt noticed how short the barrels where. But i did managed to shoot 2 pheasants, a mixi rabbit and a crow with it and i only walked half a mile of hedge . 7 carts i used prob fluke not skill but i guess the gun shot where i pointed it :).

I doubt it will come out of the cabinet more than a handfull of times a year, but it will make me smile seeing it there!

Edited by Jay_Russell

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My XXV doesn't have the quick detachable locks......Serial No starts with 248xxx - nice gun though and £800 is a billy bargain if you can shoot with it and it's in good condition.

100_3572_zpsfc27918a.jpg

100_3574_zps61c20cd9.jpg

And it's chambered at 2.5" so that would be worth checking too.....

Cheers

Fizz

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

Thanks wymberley and others for the advice, once its beeb given the nod from the gunsmiths ill be grabbing it. Im not sure what carts i used im sure they were 28's no5 but cant say i looked at the brand.

Ill have a look locally as to whats available and try a box of each.

I used to have a Aya XXV, don't know why I sold it. It was a great walked up gun as I weighs about the same as a wet ****.

Its extremely easy and comfortable to carry compared to the over and under i have been lugging around thats for sure

Edited by Jay_Russell

• 5 months later...

FBW didn't reply. I suspect that the original hand pin might have been lost and replaced. Certainly to these old eyes the slot doesn't appear to be central.

Ah, apologies Wymberley... I must have missed your post at the time.

This was my late father's gun which I acquired from him when he was thinning down his collection but I can't remember if he'd owned it from new. Either way, I'm sure it never had a hand pin on it and the appearance/condition of the screw is in keeping with the others.

I already owned another sidelock xxv and that didn't have a hand pin either.

For £350 and some spare fishing gear that's still a billy bargain Jay! I'm considering selling mine to trim down the number of guns in the cabinet but it would have to be at around the ballpark £1200 - 1500 these 'should' be fetching although I might be off the mark there in today's market.

Enjoy it.

Cheers,

Fizz.

This was my late father's gun which I acquired from him when he was thinning down his collection but I can't remember if he'd owned it from new. Either way, I'm sure it never had a hand pin on it and the appearance/condition of the screw is in keeping with the others.

For £350 and some spare fishing gear that's still a billy bargain Jay! I'm considering selling mine to trim down the number of guns in the cabinet but it would have to be at around the ballpark £1200 - 1500 these 'should' be fetching although I might be off the mark there in today's market.

Enjoy it.

Cheers,

Fizz.

Almost, just fishing gear to the value of 350quid. Not 350 plus gear!!

It hasnt been shot since 1985 but its been stored and routinely oiled properly etc

Ill pick it up end of the week. It definately does not have detachable locks tho which according to AYA was an option either way.

Edited by Jay_Russell

Enjoy it.

Cheers,

Fizz.

Many thanks, Fizz. There has been many variants over the years but I must admit I've never seen anything other than the hand pin. Live and learn.

Jay, As it's '72 and has not been shot since '85 the 'smith might get lucky with the disc set - with some good usage these can be a ****** to get out. Reckon you've got yourself a real bargain.

This is my 25. do you like it ? use 28>32grm and if YOU shoot ok with it then it will take anything down that you will encounter game or rough shooting that you will encounter. It's great that at the moment people seem to have a down on shorter barelsand double triggers because you get hell of a bang for the pound value. I think that it is imp > 1/4. If you can put the lead on the target it will do the biz no problem at all.

195_9563.jpg

195_9551rsz.jpg

196_9601rsz.jpg

Just collected mine. Wow im in love!! The stock could do with some oiling i think. Any advice on how to do it?

The colour hardening is 100percent and i love the tear drops. Theres some small pitting in the barrels and the blueing is thin in places. I will get the blueing done. A few small marks on the stock too. Its choked at 1/4 and 1/2. But the fit is absolutely perfect which im really happy about. Not a bad buy for 350 quids worth of fishing gear.

Edited by Jay_Russell

Just collected mine. Wow im in love!! The stock could do with some oiling i think. Any advice on how to do it?

The colour hardening is 100percent and i love the tear drops. Theres some small pitting in the barrels and the blueing is thin in places. I will get the blueing done. A few small marks on the stock too. Its choked at 1/4 and 1/2. But the fit is absolutely perfect which im really happy about. Not a bad buy for 350 quids worth of fishing gear.

Nice one Jay........B good for £350!!

If you're struggling to find someone to do the work for you then Ladbrook & Langtons south of Park Street near St Albans are very good.

Cheers,

Fizz