AYA side lock 12g advice

Jay_Russell

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I read through the posts on the thread and I am surprised as how many of the posters question the ability of this gun. It is a full-blown 12 and it will shoot just as well as any other 12 bore. A long time ago it was found that modern Nitro powders burn to full potential in a 24" barrel. Just because it is a current fashion to have long barrels and ounce loads it hasn’t always been the case. OK an ideal load for this gun is about an ounce but I have mainly used 30>32 gram load in mine. On the odd occasion I have used 36 gram but I wouldn’t want to put too many of them through it due to felt recoil. I think that the ideal load to gun weight ratio is about 96 > 1. Don’t treat it like a toy because it will take the highest pheasant just as if it is a pigeon coming into the decoys. In your post you ask about oiling the stock ect. The stock on mine had a thin sort of polyurethane varnish ( It looked like an oil finish but it wasn’t) I stripped this and worked to fill the open grain with various fill materials to create a smooth and deep finish using boiled linseed oil and a lot of elbow over a period of time. As for getting the barrels blacked I wouldn’t bother it is all part of the character and the history of the gun. In short get out and shoot the thing so that it becomes part of you. If you can shoot some long range clays and you will soon discover how this gun will perform. Quick on and quick off. Get some pictures up so we can see the beast.

A couple more pictures of mine. I hope that yours give you as much good shooting and pleasure as mine has done.

195_9594rsz.jpg

195_9569rsz.jpg

Edited by fortune

Just collected mine. Wow im in love!! The stock could do with some oiling i think. Any advice on how to do it?

The colour hardening is 100percent and i love the tear drops. Theres some small pitting in the barrels and the blueing is thin in places. I will get the blueing done. A few small marks on the stock too. Its choked at 1/4 and 1/2. But the fit is absolutely perfect which im really happy about. Not a bad buy for 350 quids worth of fishing gear.

Use Purdey Rubbing oil on the stock, rub in a very small amount of oil and polish by hand with a soft cloth, will come up lovely. Keep big lots of oil away from there the side plates fit into the action.

Dont go wacking 30gr cartridges through it, that would be a bit sharp on the shoulder.

A

Edited by Alycidon

• 3 weeks later...

An absolute bargain and a cracking gun.

I had an AYA xxv boxlock many years ago and have regretted selling it ever since.

I'm sure that you will get as much pleasure using it as owning it.